Is 1/8" acrylic enough?

I want to make the pressure locking sump baffles (yes I know this is still experimental) but I'm wondering would 1/8" plexi cut it for baffles roughly 10 x 14 inches tall x wide?

No. 1/8" would flex and slip out of place. The panel has to be rigid and relatively snug fitting.

FWIW, I tried the pressure lock idea and wan't happy with it.

No. 1/8" would flex and slip out of place. The panel has to be rigid and relatively snug fitting.

FWIW, I tried the pressure lock idea and wan't happy with it.

Takes only about 1/4th inch difference in water level between the 2 sides of it to make start bowing out

be a man...go with 1.25". it won't bow then.

Of course, you won't have any room in your sump but that's beside the point when it's a question of manhood.

Go with 1/4"........you'll be much happier with it. I used 1/8" and wish I had used the 1/4.

I have to agree here. I used 1/8 in the past and it bowed way to easy.

Bob what made you unhappy with the preassure locking baffles?

They work, sort of...

If you have more pressure on one side of the baffle than on the other side, the baffle will bow and slip. This can happen when you are filling the sump, when you are siphoning water from one chamber of the sump (e.g. during water change) or from the weight of the DSB pushing against the panel. I decided that securing the panels with silicone was a better option for me.

They work, sort of...

If you have more pressure on one side of the baffle than on the other side, the baffle will bow and slip. This can happen when you are filling the sump, when you are siphoning water from one chamber of the sump (e.g. during water change) or from the weight of the DSB pushing against the panel. I decided that securing the panels with silicone was a better option for me.

Did you have to cut new panels to silicone them in or did you just remove the weatherstripping and silicone them. i.e. I would like to try the pressure locking baffles with 1/4" and if I don't like them I don't want to have to buy more acrylic to add new baffles.

The pressure lock baffles have to be cut a little loose so there is room for the window seal to fit between the edge of the panel and the glass. If you change your mind and decide to go with silicone sealant instead, you would either need to cut new baffles or add a strip of acrylic to fill the gap.

The baffles are cut slightly undersized, leaving just enough room for a strip of rubber window seal to fit between the baffle and the tank. The baffles are wedged into place.