Yauger's New Tank (pics)

NAGA

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, it looks like you built the house around the tank! I love it - and you have taken the plumbing painting to a new level, I bow to the new master.

you rock man, that's one of the best setups I've seen. So much attention to detail - :cheers:

Do you have a stocking list in mind for fish?

jp

thanks man, the painting the pipes is all because of you... lol once you told me its safe for the water I kinda went overboard but hey it looks good in the end...

:clap: wow, the whole set up looks very good and very neat

Stocking List??

Connor

The stocking is going to be a mix reef over all... haven't really made a list just yet but I'm sure its going to be awhile before anything really goes in because of the initial cost of the setup.. maybe in 2 months I will have some fish in there... we will see...

One thing I am sure of is that I do not want any common corals in this system... I would much rather take my time in finding the right coral that i like then to just buy the next blue plate special thats up for sale... that way I can ensure I wont end up removing anything I put in...

Thanks for all the nice comments guys & gals, it really means a lot to hear positive feedback especially when most folks (not in the hobby) just tells me "thats nice" and have no idea on how much work actual goes into building something like this...

Awesome tank, please keep us posted on how the dry rock does. I know exactly what you mean about people saying ... oh "thats nice" about your masterpiece :clap:

Where did you get the rock? marcos?

Wow Josh!!

looks great.................thanks again for having me be a part of what you chose to do. That 3/4" thick acrylic looks great!!!

Hey Josh, that looks great!

Couple of questions for you - how did you end up doing the feed for the OM? I hadn't thought of running without the drum in there, mine has clogged a couple of times but it works its way through it now as the majority of the sediment is out of the water column. Interesting set up, by the way, on the 4 way. I know your plumbing is already done, but if you can add something to it so that you can either cut the flow to the 4 way or drain the water from the 4 way, you might want to do that for maintenance. I have had to remove mine twice and the fact that everything is connected using true union ball valves, from the connection to the tank to the connection to the 8 way, it's saved me tons of headaches. Also, can't tell what type of sand that is, but it looks like sugar sized or oolitic? Keep in mind that depending on your fish, you will get a lot of sand stirred up and tracked into the wrong areas of the tank, including the feed for the CL.

Another question - is that one completely solid structure of rock? That must have taken forever! And the fact that it's fit around the hardware in your tank, awesome! Did you also use the acrylic rods you ordered to hold the structure together?

Last question (for now!) - what type of lighting did you end up going with? I don't recall seeing it and thought I had read through the entire thread (maybe in your F&S order list?).

Nice work, I appreciate how difficult it is to get the tanks set up and you managed to do it in about a month! Is this your tank, by the way, or is it your cousin's tank? If it's yours, sounds like you're going to have a great trading partner soon!

Hey Josh, that looks great!

Couple of questions for you - how did you end up doing the feed for the OM? I hadn't thought of running without the drum in there, mine has clogged a couple of times but it works its way through it now as the majority of the sediment is out of the water column. Interesting set up, by the way, on the 4 way. I know your plumbing is already done, but if you can add something to it so that you can either cut the flow to the 4 way or drain the water from the 4 way, you might want to do that for maintenance. I have had to remove mine twice and the fact that everything is connected using true union ball valves, from the connection to the tank to the connection to the 8 way, it's saved me tons of headaches. Also, can't tell what type of sand that is, but it looks like sugar sized or oolitic? Keep in mind that depending on your fish, you will get a lot of sand stirred up and tracked into the wrong areas of the tank, including the feed for the CL.

Another question - is that one completely solid structure of rock? That must have taken forever! And the fact that it's fit around the hardware in your tank, awesome! Did you also use the acrylic rods you ordered to hold the structure together?

Last question (for now!) - what type of lighting did you end up going with? I don't recall seeing it and thought I had read through the entire thread (maybe in your F&S order list?).

Nice work, I appreciate how difficult it is to get the tanks set up and you managed to do it in about a month! Is this your tank, by the way, or is it your cousin's tank? If it's yours, sounds like you're going to have a great trading partner soon!

Dave,

the OM4Way was setup with the help of Paul @ OceansMotions... each individual line (intake/return) has a true union ball valve on it so I can completely remove the 4way for maintenance. The 4way has a drain valve on it so all I have to do is hook up a 1/4" hose line to it so it can drain the remain 1/2 gallon in the lines & chamber to remove the drum or repair a clog if need be. Paul suggested running the 4way without the drum for at least a month (during the cycling) to prevent the free floating sand particles from getting in, that way the sand will have sufficient time to settle and culture bacteria...

Each individual piece of rock has epoxy on it to create a solid structure to prevent rock slides. I did this because acrylic is notorious for being easily scratched. I also used 1/4" acrylic rods to help create a more interesting display of rocks but also to add stability to the over all structure...

The lighting I settled on was the TEK 48" 54 WATT 8 bulb fixture... I did this for a couple of reasons... 1) the center overflow is huge... I didn't want to light up this section of the tank with MH because it just wouldn't be beneficial at all to the overall look of the tank & corals I plan to house. 2) finding a dual MH fixture and only using one MH on it just seemed to be a waste also create a unbalanced lighting. So the best option was to use T5's overall and I went with the TEK fixture because its total height is only 2 1/2" total which as you can see from the pictures the ceiling over the tank is quite unique and gives little room for lighting.

Man, that is incredible. I love the two sided viewing. Truly inspiring.

Wasn't sure if you answered it or not, but where did you get the rock from???

Marco Rocks..

http://www.marcorocks.com/

he has the best deals on dry rock and the best part is that I can control what goes into my system from the beginning.

Edited by yauger

That is an AMAZING set up!

How many gallons is that tank?

180 gallon display with 20 gallon sump (I know very small but.... no space under the stand so I made due) thats why you can see a splash shield on the left side of the sump to prevent water spillage...

Also I'm planing on creating an emergency overflow device so in the event of a power outage the extra 2.5 gallons that tends to back flow into the sump will have a place to go & will create a float switching setup to create rules for the main pump and the emergency overflow pump. That way when the power comes back on the main pump will not turn on until the overflow tank is empty.

So much more to do with this system but its on its way...

Wow Josh!!

looks great.................thanks again for having me be a part of what you chose to do. That 3/4" thick acrylic looks great!!!

Jeff, man you do good work, let me tell you... it has been a joy and a pain to build this tank but I think in the end I will be more than happy with how it came out... thanks again for building this tank for me and having patience with my unusual design...

JEFF YOU ROCK!!!

You have to make your way over to check out the final product!!

:cheers:

• 7 months later...

man really need to update this with some pictures!!

DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0259-1.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

BTW these photos are more than 3 months old now and I will try to get some updated shots shortly...

there are many changes to the system since these photo's mainly the numbers of corals and growth of existing ones...

the hardware has changed also, there is a Deltec skimmer, GSA kalk stirer, GSA calc reactor, AquaUV 40watt, 10 gallon remote fuge, new remote 30 gallon sump and a backup power system via marine batteries...

countless hours with my brother tweeking this system and now we are almost fully happy with the setup. again I will post new shots later today or tomorrow... let me know what you think!

I think it looks awesome! I really love the idea of the nook. Being able to view on both sides is very cool!

Nice job I'll be looking forward to those new pics!

I think it looks awesome! I really love the idea of the nook. Being able to view on both sides is very cool!

Nice job I'll be looking forward to those new pics!

Beautiful set-up! How hard is to keep the walls clean? Do you use magnets or do it by hand? Also, what's your water change regimen?

--Rob

Beautiful set-up! How hard is to keep the walls clean? Do you use magnets or do it by hand? Also, what's your water change regimen?

--Rob

my brother runs a tight ship when it comes to maintaince.. 30 gallon water changes weekly in addition to keeping an eye on all the dosing levels to keep alk, calc, and mag up where they need to be.

the system is now running:

Deltec AP600 Skimmer

JBJ 1/4 HP chiller

40 watt Aqua UV

GSA Calcium reactor

GSA Kalk Stirer

so far corals have taken off in growth and the tank is only 8 months old... everything I have put in there has tripled in size. coloration is surpurb and flow is ridiculas...

I may have built the tank but my brother keeps it alive and well. my next project after my home renovations will be a 6'X3'X30" reef tank that will be roughly 330 gallons... figure I better start saving some money now.

--Rob

30 gallons weekly, and a great white shark magnet cleaner... manual scraping is done with a long handle acrylic safe scraper..

keeping the coraline off the walls is kinda difficult due to the rate of growth... rocks are all nice and purple but so are the walls in about 10 days... mag levels are kept @ 1400 ppm

Niiiiiiice Josh :clap: Great job!

thanks Jean, can't wait to stop by your place to check out the tanks...