Yauger's New Tank (pics)

NAGA

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose you could plumb a snake up and along the tank side and then hide it with your rockwork.

I've read plenty on the remote bucket DSB thing being a farce - you can't run the water over that small of surface area to denitrate it effectively, if at all - the same reason it does nothing in a tiny HOB fuge.

These things rock!!! but man are they expensive...

you mean that plasma? :cheers:

I suppose you could plumb a snake up and along the tank side and then hide it with your rockwork.

I've read plenty on the remote bucket DSB thing being a farce - you can't run the water over that small of surface area to denitrate it effectively, if at all - the same reason it does nothing in a tiny HOB fuge.

you mean that plasma? :cheers:

the plasma was a good deal at best buy... got it 2 weeks ago... it's a 42" plasma 1080P Panasonic... their best model....

These things rock!!! but man are they expensive...

Nice new Tank yauger! :) Saltwaterfish hobby is of course...... comes with a price. You know what you're getting into and it does not seem to ever stop where you're at. :)

Very nice design for the room. Keeps the pixes coming!

Yeah I was thinking the same... 4 - 5" of sand in the display should be enough... If I have any issues with the main intake for the closed loop the best alternative would be to raise the pipe 6" into the water column to prevent any issues...

I would go with 5" to start, b/c it will settle some over time. The plan of a 4" pipe with strainer seems good to me. Once everything settles I don't think you will have a problem with sand getting in.

Keep in mind that you won't be able to remove the intake strainer for cleaning without taking apart your rockwork. Over time it will tend to get a little clogged with algae, sponges, misc. debris. If possible you could try to leave yourself a way to access it with a brush, but it will probably turn out to be impossible to do that and still hide it from view with your rockwork. Another thing that will help though is to open up the openings in the strainer a bit. I find that the strainers are a bit too restrictive as is. The openings just need to be small enough to keep any fish or snails from getting sucked through, but no smaller. At the very least you should drill a few 1/4" holes in the top (end) part. I also like to cut out every other piece of the strainer itself, in effect doubling the size of the openings.

Edited by Rascal

I would go with 5" to start, b/c it will settle some over time. The plan of a 4" pipe with strainer seems good to me. Once everything settles I don't think you will have a problem with sand getting in.

Keep in mind that you won't be able to remove the intake strainer for cleaning without taking apart your rockwork. Over time it will tend to get a little clogged with algae, sponges, misc. debris. If possible you could try to leave yourself a way to access it with a brush, but it will probably turn out to be impossible to do that and still hide it from view with your rockwork. Another thing that will help though is to open up the openings in the strainer a bit. I find that the strainers are a bit too restrictive as is. The openings just need to be small enough to keep any fish or snails from getting sucked through, but no smaller. At the very least you should drill a few 1/4" holes in the top (end) part. I also like to cut out every other piece of the strainer itself, in effect doubling the size of the openings.

good point... I just got off the phone with Paul @ Oceans Motions and he keyed me into some changes in my design to maximize the potential of the 4Way...

Since the intake for the Dart will be covered in rock I will more than likely put a tee on the 2" intake, this way I will have 50% less suction on each side reducing the off chance snails, fish, or anems getting sucked in...

Also for the first couple of months I will run the 4Way without the drum so any sand particulates will not be an issue scratching the unit...

Paul at OM is way too smart for this stuff I highly suggest someone consult him with questions on water movements within a system...

Since the intake for the Dart will be covered in rock I will more than likely put a tee on the 2" intake, this way I will have 50% less suction on each side reducing the off chance snails, fish, or anems getting sucked in...

Good idea.

Wow! Very nice tank set up. I think your tank just helped me sell a much bigger tank to my better half. I'm really looking forward to watching your progress. Keep the pics coming!

Cheers, :cheers:

Sean

Wow! Very nice tank set up. I think your tank just helped me sell a much bigger tank to my better half. I'm really looking forward to watching your progress. Keep the pics coming!

Sean

Thanks Sean!! I just made a massive order to finish the equipment wish list... over $2000 worth of stuff ordered today... Like I said before no Christmas or birthday presents for me for the next couple of years!!

This Thursday should be fun....

Nobody builds 'em better than NAGA.

Nice looking tank.

FWIW - might consider moving the plasma to the same wall as the tank (flip the room). The lights on the tank = a huge reflection on the screen.

Bonus - you can watch both at the same time.

Nobody builds 'em better than NAGA.

Nice looking tank.

FWIW - might consider moving the plasma to the same wall as the tank (flip the room). The lights on the tank = a huge reflection on the screen.

maybe... I just might, however I will wait until the tank is fully setup before I rearrange the room...

I haven't gotten through a single tv show or movie, undistracted, since I put my tank up. It is right there near the television, and something more interesting than what is on the tube is always grabbing my eye. LOL

Tracy

Man that looks nice! Im jealious

Are you accepting help when setting it up? If so I'd like to volunteer.

Sean

I just might take you up on your offer, but most of the work will occur on Thursday & Friday Nights... I will be up late to try to get water in the tank this weekend... Thanks for offering to help, I will keep you in mind for later on!!!

I haven't gotten through a single tv show or movie, undistracted, since I put my tank up. It is right there near the television, and something more interesting than what is on the tube is always grabbing my eye. LOL

Tracy

haha I know exactly what you mean...

Man that looks nice! Im jealious

Thanks bro, seriously coming from a die hard DEADSKINS fan that means a lot!! :cheers:

Well so far this is what I have coming in for Thursday:

Dr. Fosters & Smith (Using the WAMAS 10% Discount)

Stealth Heaters

Digital Thermometers

Refractometer

Tiger Algae Float Scrubber

Instant Ocean Salt mix buckets

Salifert Test Kits

Gamma 25 Watt UV

Digital Timers

Aqualight Articulating Moon Lights

Phosban Media Reactors

Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC External Pump

Black Diamond Carbon

Oceans Motions Inc.

4Way Drum Version 3

Sequence Dart External Pump

US Plastics Corp.

20 Gallon Black 1x1x4 food grade container with lid

10 ft 1/8" Acrylic Rods

Marco Rocks

125lbs of Fiji Dry Rocks

10 4oz sticks of Purple Epoxy

WAMAS Member

ETS Downdraft Skimmer

Pan World External Pump

JBJ Artic Chiller 1/10 HP

A lot more still has to be ordered but this is a good start....

• 1 month later...

Picture TIME!!!

Tank With lights just installed!!

gallery_1704_221_1215529.jpg

Very cool way of hiding the cords for the lights! I fed them through the wall and mounted a plate to cover the hole...

gallery_1704_221_484323.jpg

gallery_1704_221_1521432.jpg

Rock work... it is all epoxy together... stable as a... well a ROCK...

gallery_1704_221_528052.jpg

gallery_1704_221_305538.jpg

gallery_1704_221_160665.jpg

The doors my buddy and I made...

gallery_1704_221_914347.jpg

And underneath....

gallery_1704_221_1313519.jpg

OM4WAY & a lot of plumbing... Thanks to JP I painted them different for quick ID...

gallery_1704_221_1239368.jpg

gallery_1704_221_129482.jpg

gallery_1704_221_133836.jpg

gallery_1704_221_654237.jpg

Remote ATO 20 Gallon reservoir & RO/DI... The First pic is to show how tight of a squeeze it is to get to the back area of the fish room...

gallery_1704_221_1706736.jpg

gallery_1704_221_1331244.jpg

gallery_1704_221_1473392.jpg

gallery_1704_221_872041.jpg

Skimmer & Kalk Reactor & UV sterilizer...

gallery_1704_221_66070.jpg

gallery_1704_221_1018061.jpg

gallery_1704_221_764928.jpg

All together now with the lights ON!!!

gallery_1704_221_176752.jpg

gallery_1704_221_959725.jpg

gallery_1704_221_212035.jpg

gallery_1704_221_492070.jpg

gallery_1704_221_823197.jpg

gallery_1704_221_1544822.jpg

WOW. Very nice. From the pix, it looks like your skimmer is not under your tank, is that correct?

James

yeah the skimmer is routed into the small crawl space for the water heater... I have the end of the sump drilled for a 1" bulkhead that feeds a little giant pump to run the skimmer... and the return is routed back to the sump via 1/2" pvc and dropped into the first chamber..

Nice

Dude, it looks like you built the house around the tank! I love it - and you have taken the plumbing painting to a new level, I bow to the new master.

you rock man, that's one of the best setups I've seen. So much attention to detail - :cheers:

Do you have a stocking list in mind for fish?

jp