Finally pics of my tank

Bob

Thank you for someone finally explaining how to upload pics into the thread..........Thank you all! Any comments appreciated for a somewhat NEWBIE reefer. Bob

P1010064.jpg

P1010058.jpg

cropped.jpg

Codium AKA dead mans finger algae is also known as green fleece algae or green finger sponge algae. It is a slow growing algae that is very pretty and stable in my tank. It took me a while to find out what this stuff is. I have finally had to do some harvesting. Tangs will pick at it a small amount but really dont eat much. This algae grew from my Marshall Island rock when I set up my tank and I think it is the best "extra" I got with living rock. My next project is to try gluing some pieces on rubble and see if I can grow out some other colonies...... but if there is no interest this may just be for fun. I would like to share my bounty if anyone is interested. I like the look of a landscaped tank and this stuff is great because its like a slow growing tree. It doesnt shed, drop leaves, make a mess and it slowly grows lush and full. I does not do much for nitrate export. So.... any one else growing this or know of it?

Very nice!!! How long has it been running? Looks 'mature'. What are the dark green 'mounds'? Some kind of Halimeda?

bob

I am just @ 1.5 years.... Thank you.

Sweet tank Bob!!

Think about a Tank Tour in the near future for the DC Group?

But you didn't tell me what those big dark green 'mounds' are made of...

bob

Look at what he quoted, it's from another post he made.... and the tank is very beautiful in person, as is the house! Bob is quite the host, and he has by far the QUIETEST tank setup I've ever seen.

Codium AKA dead mans finger algae is also known as green fleece algae or green finger sponge algae. It is a slow growing algae that is very pretty and stable in my tank. It took me a while to find out what this stuff is. I have finally had to do some harvesting. Tangs will pick at it a small amount but really dont eat much. This algae grew from my Marshall Island rock when I set up my tank and I think it is the best "extra" I got with living rock. My next project is to try gluing some pieces on rubble and see if I can grow out some other colonies...... but if there is no interest this may just be for fun. I would like to share my bounty if anyone is interested. I like the look of a landscaped tank and this stuff is great because its like a slow growing tree. It doesnt shed, drop leaves, make a mess and it slowly grows lush and full. I does not do much for nitrate export. So.... any one else growing this or know of it?

I agree- Bob has a nice home and beautiful tank. He has been adding some sps and this tank will show interesting growth in that direction as they take more up space.

Bob,

Great looking tank and great that theres another reefer in DC. Nice growth and aquascaping...

Nadir

I have to agree with NRehman glad to see someone else from D.C. reefing

Hey Bob I grew up and went to school in the Shaw neighborhood.I know the area really well I may have to set a date to swing past and have a look at your tank. It looks awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with NRehman glad to see someone else from D.C. reefing

Hey Bob I grew up and went to school in the Shaw neighborhood.I know the area really well I may have to set a date to swing past and have a look at your tank. It looks awesome.

There's actually quite a few of us! We're thinking of setting up a reef crawl - visit the tanks and have a drink at every house :lol2: