Lanman 225-gallon tank build

lanman

I like the stepladder-to-keep-my-cords-off-the-floor-in-case-I-end-up-with-a-major-flood approach. I did the same thing with mine when I was filling it and running pumps in there, just in case I had to go wading through the basement (although I also had to run an extension cord from the 1st floor to the basement as I didn't have enough juice in the breaker that runs the basement, so mine was also wound around a couple of hand rails on the stairs).

I thought you said earlier that you were not going to leave the tank in that room? You will have rock in there before me at the rate you're going!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the stepladder-to-keep-my-cords-off-the-floor-in-case-I-end-up-with-a-major-flood approach. I did the same thing with mine when I was filling it and running pumps in there, just in case I had to go wading through the basement (although I also had to run an extension cord from the 1st floor to the basement as I didn't have enough juice in the breaker that runs the basement, so mine was also wound around a couple of hand rails on the stairs).

I thought you said earlier that you were not going to leave the tank in that room? You will have rock in there before me at the rate you're going!

Shhhh.... I already have rock in there - and livestock, too. TWO aiptasia and a mushroom - and now my cleanup crew includes TWO hermits and a snail! What I don't have is light bulbs... wah! 5 gallons overflowed into the sump; no leaks so far. Putting another 15 gallons in before bed.

Speaking of sump...

IMG_1301.jpg

bob

Gotta love that shiny new system look!

Yeah - and when I set up the 750-gallon system, I can use it as a 90-gallon frag tank!

bob

It's running!!

Pumps on, skimmer on, moving 1800gph through the WavySea. And WOW! That's a lot of water - really stirred things up in there.

But the biggest and bestest surprise - it's so QUIET!! From a foot away, I can't hear it at all over the sound of my other tanks.

Pictures once the water clears up again. Now I'm just waiting on light bulbs.

:bounce: :bb: :bounce:

bob

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

When's the tank tour? :clap:

Tracy

For you? Any time! But you might want to wait until I have the rocks in there, at least!

bob

I am amazed at the power of the wavysea with 1800gph. It is slowly digging holes in the sand 3 feet away. I don't think it will be a problem once I get more rocks in there - but it sure does keep the water moving around! I'm going to have to create a low-flow area for my blasto's. They seem to be doing much better now that I've moved them to the lowest flow area in my 58.

Still no light bulbs, but I've upgraded the current lighting. Now there is a 65W daylight fluorescent spotlight (refugium light) pointing down on the rocks I have in there.

bob

Glad it's all working out Bob, stuff looks great! I too would like to come down and see it running. I'm also glad to hear it's quiet thats key for me these days considering I often like to sleep near my tanks. Let me know when I can come see it. Congrats again!

First FTS! With only 3 of the 5 T5 fixtures running (still short 3 actinic+ bulbs).

IMG_1309.jpg

That's with Steve's rock in there, and his big monti cap. Generous one threw in a green plating cap, and a pretty blue mushroom, and a millipora, and a beautiful little RBTA, and a nice looking ricordia florida - AND... (drum roll) - a bunch of palythoa's! He only THOUGHT he had eradicated all of them!

And yes, Steve... the monti cap made it in one piece!

IMG_1310.jpg

Here are the lights so far.

IMG_1304.jpg

bob

what happened to the cycle? None? Looks good BOB

what happened to the cycle? None? Looks good BOB

Cycle? I don't cycle... not since that first one. I use a mix of water change water and fresh saltwater; put plenty of good live rock in there, skim the heck out of it and cross my fingers. I didn't have any real choices on this one - Steve had to get his tank torn down.

bob

Awesome! Actual life forms!! :)

FWIW, I also got my LR from Steve. Picked it up from his house, put it in my tank. All of the corals that came on it survived. If there was a cycle, it was tiny and didn't kill much.

It's probably more akin to a tank move than setting up a brand new tank.

LOVE that monti cap!!

Tracy

Awesome! Actual life forms!! :)

FWIW, I also got my LR from Steve. Picked it up from his house, put it in my tank. All of the corals that came on it survived. If there was a cycle, it was tiny and didn't kill much.

It's probably more akin to a tank move than setting up a brand new tank.

LOVE that monti cap!!

Tracy

Hmmm... I suppose I could frag it! How much will you give me for half, if I split it right down the middle??

JUST KIDDING, Steve!!

bob

Hey guys, watch out for a cycle in the first week. I would monitor levels. I doubt that you'd see much of a cycle, if any, as you're really not adding a lot in the way of bio-load, but it's always good to keep an eye out.

Bob, congratulations on getting it set up! I'm behind you on the tank build now, but your ambition has motivated me to keep up. Looks great, and that shallow tank really looks like it's going to be great!

Hmmm... I suppose I could frag it! How much will you give me for half, if I split it right down the middle??

JUST KIDDING, Steve!!

bob

ha ha ha ha!!! Would never let you molest such a gorgeous specimen. Plus, my tank is 1/5th the volume of yours....no room at the inn. LOL

Now is where the fun begins!!

T

ha ha ha ha!!! Would never let you molest such a gorgeous specimen. Plus, my tank is 1/5th the volume of yours....no room at the inn. LOL

Now is where the fun begins!!

T

It fragged itself overnight... just dropped off about a 1"x4" piece of 'plate' from somewhere. It has layers and layers of the stuff. Might have been laying somewhere inside, and a snail pushed it out or something. When the lights come on, I'll try to figure out if it's alive, or just a piece of rubble. There is so much surface area on that thing, if it grows well, I'll bet it could easily add 10 square inches of coral a day. It's just rings inside rings inside rings. I'm glad I have the CA reactor - I may have to set it up sooner than planned.

bob

Great progress and all is looking great. Will you be needing a chiller for all those T5s?

Trevor

I hope not... T5's don't make much heat, I have vent holes in the top of the canopy, and it's in my nice cool basement.

But we'll see next summer!

bob

You shouldn't need a chiller with the T5s, as long as there are vent holes in the canopy and you have sufficient fans blowing across the bulbs. You probably wouldn't need a chiller even if you didn't have either one of those. I had the aquactinics 14 bulb 72" unit and my water never got about 81 degrees, even running it for 12 hours a day.

I would definitely include a fan blowing across the bulbs though because keeping the bulbs cool helps prolong the life of the bulbs and increases the PAR throughout the photoperiod. That T5 expert over on RC found this out and I think its a reason why most of the newer high-end T5 units are including fans built in.

Love the progress with the tank. Can't wait to see more pics in the future. Tagging along.......