New power center.

dandy7200

Been a while since I posted a good DIY thread so here goes.....

I wanted to build a bigger and slicker power center for my new tank. I wanted to use the DJ panels as relay switches for my ACIII so I can override them quickly without getting into the ACIII menu. With this configuration, I can also see the lit rocker switch meaning the ACIII has turned something on or off. Also, I wanted the outlets to be top mounted this time around since it will be difficult to get to the plugs on the new setup. Gey plugs are controlled by ACIII and black ones are just wired to the DJ rack only.

First I wired up a bunch of duplex plugs with power cords. I pulled the connector pin so each outlet goes to a separate power source:

921913193_af7636cdfb.jpg

921913229_a8083ff073.jpg

Next I wired a few cords with cord grips:

921913271_da968819d2.jpg

Open up a DJ rack:

1308939844_b1db6f967f.jpg

Remove top sets of jumper wires and set aside:

1308942960_5196a1bcb0.jpg

Remove bottom wires and discard, remove power cord and save for another project:

1308071567_3f36750ec3.jpg

Drill holes in back of panel and insert extension cords:

1308945306_8c8a1989a0.jpg

Common ground connected:

1308947728_b8d07058ba.jpg

Power cords have new connectors installed and go on bottom part of switch. Jumpers are reinstalled on top part of switch:

1308938552_d0405de74b.jpg

Close it back up and mount to 32" rack rails:

1308051311_2c18bdd7a7.jpg

1308937714_9116c4631a.jpg

Some goodies installed:

1316455248_d0d760a922.jpg

Hon, can you unplug the skimmer for me?

1325075776_ba8f1f484e.jpg

Done:

1324181083_e4e5558cfa.jpg

Holy crap. You truly amaze me sometimes man. Sorry for not getting back to you this weekend. Life is kinda hectic right now. I'll be back in town either on the 13th or 14th.

Now get back to work on that tank. Time is counting down for you to be ready.

I wanted to build a bigger and slicker power center for my new tank. I wanted to use the DJ panels as relay switches for my ACIII so I can override them quickly without getting into the ACIII menu. With this configuration, I can also see the lit rocker switch meaning the ACIII has turned something on or off. Also, I wanted the outlets to be top mounted this time around since it will be difficult to get to the plugs on the new setup. Gey plugs are controlled by ACIII and black ones are just wired to the DJ rack only.

<snip>

OMG. What a great idea. How cool is that!? So let me get this straight ('cause I really like the DJ panels, but don't have an AC yet). You would normally leave the switches in the on position, allowing them to turn on/off as the AC3 dictates -- leaving you the option of breaking the connection at will -- right?

I'm just not clear on how the panel of boxes fits in. I'm guessing that cords from the DJ panels go to the AC3, and the panel of boxes get plugged into the DJ panels, and then "things" get plugged into the panel of boxes.

In any case, that is a very cool idea. And nice, clean, detailed work! Just plain neat. This thread is bookmarked :-)

Matt

No sweat James. Holiday weekend I figured you found something fun to do.

EBR, I forgot to take a piture of the top of the unit:

1326028992_0662f3a50f.jpg

This is where equipment gets plugged in. You pretty much got the rest of it.

Edited by dandy7200

Ah. I didn't catch the blue area at the top of the one shot from the back -- must have been distracted by the mess o' spaghetti :-)

Thanks.

Matt

Hey Dan, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here but, "Nice job!"

Since you seem to buy them in bulk quantities, where are you buying your power cords? I was going to do something similar but on a much smaller scale and figured there has to be a source for good cords under $5 a pop.

Dan,

Very sweet. This is the neatest and most compact power center I have seen (with 40 outlets to boot)! An inspiration to us all.... Thanks for sharing. :clap:

Doug,

Ditto...added to DIY!

Dan,

AWESOME DUDE!!!!!

:clap:

Have you hooked up a WATTS UP yet to that beast?

If you don't have one, I got mine that I won at the last meeting?

Dan,

Definitely want to talk about this with you when you come get your RO equipment (or maybe I'll make a trip to your house so I can figure this out). I'm trying to figure out where the ACIII integrates. Does this eliminate the need for the DC8? I want to do a similar thing, just using standard rocker switches instead of DJ switches - I thought the ACIII might hamstring me a little on my desire to control everything, but I'm very curious as to how all this works.

~Brian

Dan,

Definitely want to talk about this with you when you come get your RO equipment (or maybe I'll make a trip to your house so I can figure this out). I'm trying to figure out where the ACIII integrates. Does this eliminate the need for the DC8? I want to do a similar thing, just using standard rocker switches instead of DJ switches - I thought the ACIII might hamstring me a little on my desire to control everything, but I'm very curious as to how all this works.

~Brian

Sweet, does that mean I get personal delivery of my AWI order? :biggrin:

Dan,

AWESOME DUDE!!!!!

:clap:

Have you hooked up a WATTS UP yet to that beast?

If you don't have one, I got mine that I won at the last meeting?

Only power it draws is from the rocker switches. I would gues that nothing will even register on the meter. I have a killawatt and will hook it up when ready just to see but there is really no more power than what would normally be used.

Thats a good one. I got mine from mcmaster about $2.75ea if I remember right.

I ended up cleaning up the wiring quite a bit so it's not nearly as scary in the back. Still need to add a few things to the panel next to the multicontroller and will update pics when completed.

Sweet, does that mean I get personal delivery of my AWI order? :biggrin:

If you can help me out with my electrical schemes, I'm certainly willing to run it out there. Any chance you're good at plumbing? That's what I'm really struggling with right now.

~Brian

If you can help me out with my electrical schemes, I'm certainly willing to run it out there. Any chance you're good at plumbing? That's what I'm really struggling with right now.

~Brian

You got a deal! Plumbing, I can surely help with as well. I'm a far better plumber than electrician ;)

First I wired up a bunch of duplex plugs with power cords. I pulled the connector pin so each outlet goes to a separate power source:

Dan,

I am either confused or missed a point but if you pulled the connector pins from the outlet for seperate power source, hence 2 independent outlets, should'nt there be 2 power cords from each box?

Thanks.

Dan,

I am either confused or missed a point but if you pulled the connector pins from the outlet for seperate power source, hence 2 independent outlets, should'nt there be 2 power cords from each box?

Thanks.

Your right and there is. Each 4 gang box has 8 cords coming out the back. I know it's hard to tell from the picture but I put them on top and bottom so they were easier to trace back once installed.

Your right and there is. Each 4 gang box has 8 cords coming out the back. I know it's hard to tell from the picture but I put them on top and bottom so they were easier to trace back once installed.

Thanks for the explanation Dan. I see it now - the early morning coffee must have been spiked.:drink:

Dan you could get rich just patenting your hobby idea's!! I know I have personally copied you for at least 2 major items, (the auto water change, and the DJ panel).

Nice work on the power center. Is that going to go into the area where your existing "fish room" is?

John