Decision Time

Triggerfish31

My 75 gallon tank is in the last stages of cycling. Last night I did another water test on it and here are the results.

Amonia=0

Nitrite=0.1

Nitrate=2

Temp=79.8

Salinity=0.025

I will take one or two more tests including pH just to make sure that no nitrites are present. I started cycling the tank back on August 13th. Back then I decided I am going to have a salt water fish tank instead of a reef tank. I could not afford the live rock. I did use some LR to start the cycle. I have some rock work already in the tank. I am stuck trying to decide what fish I should get.

1. Aggressive Fish tank

-Lion Fish

-Picasso Trigger Fish

-Angel Fish

OR

2. Community Tank

-Clownfish

-Blennie

-fire fish

-Goby

-Jawfish

-Green Chromis Fish (I think thats what its called)

-some Sea Stars

-some Sea Urchins

I would appreciate your opinion on this.

Aaron

also if you go with the Community Tank fish display you can always upgrade to a reef aquarium later on in the life of your tank...

Edited by yauger

or something like it! :clap:

But then again, that is your decision and I hope you enjoy it either way! :)

I would leave furture options open by going with the non-aggressive

No Lion Fish.

I like the idea of a FOWLR system. Your choice of fish is increased. List 2 looks like a list for a reef tank. Don't limit yourself to the fish that a reefer puts in. All those fish that people question or complain about eating their corals/clams are a choice for you (trigger, angel, etc.). Just mind their tank size requirements.

I just thought of something else. Can you have a reef tank without using live rock? I do have a high output T-5 lighting system. I would prefer to do a coral reef tank rather than all fish tank.

Aaron

I think without liverock in it, it would be considered a frag tank. Is there any reason you would want to not use LR, aside from perhaps the cost?

- LR is a major part of the "filtration system" and you might have problems with nitrate without it

- LR is what gives fishies a place to go or hide

- LR is where some inverts get their food

If you wanted some coral and not to make it look to much like a frag tank, Put rather flat rocks on the bottom to cover it. A view large ones and small to fill it in. Might want to leave space between the rock and the glass to clean it. You then can put the corals on top. Have some power heads or returns pointing down to scour out debris (if sandless). You dont have to go vertical with the rock. This may give a look of a flat plane of coral.

Just an idea.

My 75 gallon tank is in the last stages of cycling. Last night I did another water test on it and here are the results.

Amonia=0

Nitrite=0.1

Nitrate=2

Temp=79.8

Salinity=0.025

I could not afford the live rock. I did use some LR to start the cycle. I have some rock work already in the tank.

Apparently, based on the numbers - you have ENOUGH live rock to support a tank with no fish. It is cleaning your water up.

If you want to make it a reef on a budget; pick up just a few pounds of rock at a time, and add just a few fish at a time. Get the rock from WAMAS members that are shutting down their tanks, etc. Dschflier always has a bunch of rock - if you get 'plain' pieces of rock, you can get it pretty cheaply. Personally, I don't think that you NEED as much rock as is normally used for a tank. Once you have the tank running, add some 'base rock'. It's a lot cheaper, and as long as you get good porous stone - it will become 'live rock' after a while. Purchase small frags from people in the 'for sale' section. Someday they will be nice corals, with a little luck. It's your world - build it as you see fit! :)

bob

• 3 weeks later...

I did what Bob suggested - got a little here and there. THere actually is a benefit to doing it this way, which is that if you see a really nice piece of liverock, you'll know you have room in the tank for it.