Almon's Reef

Almon

Guest MikeInFredVA

This Green Tort is one of my favorite corals. I received it from 143Gadgets in February 2007. He called it an Orange tipped Green Tort. It has grown fairly well over the past year and I have just recently cut a frag. It has been very difficult to get good pictures due to its extremely brilliant color and it may be the most florescent coral in the reef.

Green%20Tort_JPG.jpg

IMG_1519a_JPG.jpg

This is when I first received the frag in February 2007

100_1024_jpg.jpg

Almon your tank and corals are very nice looknig i'm very impressed, (like that takes alot) I would love to see you under water kingdom sometime ifyou do ever choose to have a tank tour please let me know.I would take a day off work too make it there too see and hear about it. Cause I myself love things Simple I live be the KIS way of life.

Almon - what happened to your website? I can't seem to find it. Thought you used to have it in your signature.

bob

Howard / Mike - Thanks. I should consider having Tank Tour / Barbeque / Beer Fest sometime this summer. I make some awesome all-grain beer. :cheers:

Bob, I upgraded my website in December with a new version of software which corrupted the database of content and pictures. The website is still there, but I haven't spent much time with it. There are only a few pictures that I put back, mainly for posting here on WAMAS. www.almon.net

This is another one of my favorite corals. I received this Blue Millipora as a large frag from Darin (lowsingle) at the end of July 2007. It has a wonderful blue flesh color. This picture is one of the first test Top Down shots from the camera box I just made. So far...so good.

Blue%20Millipora_JPG.jpg

WOW !!!! I really like your Purple Gorgonian.

This is a Green Millipora that I received from Dan (Dandy7200) in June of 2007. I love the tones of orange and yellow.

Green%20Millipora_JPG.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is a Blue Tort received about 10-12 months ago from SCALES, originally from David Oh (Chideloh) I think? It has also been very difficult to get good pictures of this coral. I'm not sure what type of Blue Tort this is, but it's very colorful and another favorite of mine.

IMG_2320a_JPG.jpg

I'm really enjoying the top-down photobox. The pictures are so much clearer...

This is one of Chip's RBTA splits. It is currently in the back corner of the 220g mixed reef. The current keeps the Anemone up against the back wall, which works well for me since it is not walking around the reef.

I received this RBTA split in August 2007 just after being split. I originally placed it in a 55g that had Power Compact bulbs for lighting. It walked around for about 3 weeks and then split. :eek: Wow, I wasn't expecting that. So then I moved one to the 220 mixed reef and it immediately took hold under the rock it is currenly attached to. It simply loved the new environment (maybe the lighting) and starting to grow quickly. The Clarkii Clown that was previously been living in the large umbrella leather, immediately took up residence in the RBTA. I do not feed this animal...I never have. But Clarkii feeds it. Apparently a lot. It is now 9 months old and is absolutely enormous. As shown in the picture, it is 12" across.

Chip: if it gets any bigger, you will have to take it back. :wink:

IMG_2556a_JPG.jpg

IMG_2513a_JPG.jpg

Let's not forget the Top-down shot

IMG_2354_JPG.jpg

Original RBTA in August '07

100_2001a.jpg

I know I've already posted about this RBTA, but it has grown to so large, I couldn't resist. :)

• 4 months later...

It's been 5 months and the Anemone continues to get bigger. It split about 6 weeks ago and I was able to move the new Anemone to another tank with a couple of small tank-raised Ocellaris clowns.

I have been considering getting another Clarkii to join the one I already have. I don't know much about Clownfish so I posted a few questions in this thread on Reef Central.

I followed the suggestions of getting a very small, young pre-adult Clarkii to join what was certainly a female. I've had this Clown for since 1999. I added the new pre-adult Clarkii in the middle of the day while the lights were on. The young Clarkii swam directly to the Anemone and the other clownfish. The large female Clarkii immediately began chasing him around, but he wouldn't go far, and just kept coming back. The little guy would go vertical the do the spastic "Clown Dance" shaking all over.

I used long tongs to keep the two separated (~ 3-4 inches apart) for almost two minutes and then left them alone. They became immediate best friends. I was truely amazed. These pictures below are before I added the little guy.

This

was taken only 20 minutes after adding the small clown to the tank.

IMG_4373.jpg

IMG_4540_JPG.jpg

IMG_4477_JPG.jpg

IMG_4503_JPG.jpg

IMG_4551.jpg

Neat video.

I would have thought those two had been together for awhile.

I was amazed how quickly they became so friendly towards each other, and relieved.

That female is HUGE!! She's gonna lay a massive amount of eggs.

That's what 10 years of over feeding will do. :)

• 1 month later...

Two months later....

About a month ago I noticed the female clownfish eating more. two weeks ago I noticed some discoloration on the back wall behind the anemone. It was a large patch of eggs. Wow...that was quick. Today is the first time since then that the anemone has retreated enough for me to get a good view and take a picture.

That's papa hiding in the anemone. The female is more agressive towards me now. I've gotten a few nips while cleaning the glass, and that's two feet away them.

IMG_5581a_JPG.jpg

There must be 800 - 1000 eggs.

IMG_5581b_JPG.jpg

That is realy cool about the eggs, please keep us updated on them.

They probably most were hatched and were eaten. 2 weeks later, you'll see another batch of eggs on the same spot. The cycle will keep going over and over again. Pretty neat experience to see it.

Edited by vaironman

Well, it's been two days, and she laid another batch. I may try putting a tile in to raise them.

Also, my Anemone split again. This time into three separate animals.

Notice the small round darker circle left of center. That's glass without coralline algae. I was able to get a close up from the back.

IMG_5870a_jpg.jpg

These are the eggs at two days.

IMG_5850a.JPG