Large tank vs. multiple small tanks

lanman

As everyone warned me - 6 months into this hobby, and my 58-gallon display is out of coral-spaces. My 33-gallon frag tank is out of frag spaces, and yes - I am going to plan to make more spaces. (don't give me a hard time, Steve - yes, I probably should have purchased your 210)

Options of course - are to set up another entire system, or replace the 58 with something larger; 90, 120, 2,000... room to grow.

Setting up another entire system across the room has its advantages; everything can't crash at once (right now my frag tank/refugium, and the 58-display with 40-gallon sump are separate systems, and I like knowing they can't both get 'poisoned' by ammonia at once); I get to continue to use all of my current equipment on the old tanks (3' lights, etc.); and two displays with possibly entirely different characters (maybe the new one will have an RBTA and clowns, for example) might be nice.

On the other hand - the 'immersive' experience of a very large tank (I sometimes felt like I was INSIDE of Bendalat's 4' wide by 5' deep tank; I kept wanting to hold my breath), and the ability to have larger fish, and larger corals is also a big advantage. Only one water system to monitor and treat, economy of scale, etc.

So - I am seeking opinions on where to go from here. Fortunately neither money nor space are major considerations - it's MY basement, and I can do whatever I want with it. I'm in no hurry - I need to gain more skill in handling what I have - I've had really good luck so far, but I'm still worried that it's just that - luck.

I'm afraid Dandy's all-in-one system is making me lean toward adding a whole new one (about a 120) at the moment; but I can be easily swayed.

Thanks for any and all suggestions,

bob

Just get a 180 or a 210 and be done with it. I think Lance actually has a 220 gallon (8' X 2' X 2') he is trying to sell. Best of luck.

Guest Bemmer

If I were you, I absolutely would get one big tank. If money and space are not an issue (yeah!), then at least go with a 210g. Personally, I love have the 3' deep tank (front to back) for the aquascaping abilities. As I am sure you know, more water volume, more margin for error...not that you will make any more mistakes, Bob. :biggrin:

Single larger system will be easier to maintain, more stable and more cost effective in the long run. 180 is a nice size and so is the 120. Two 58 gallons tanks flanking both sides of a 120 all sharing a common sump is another option.....endless possibilities :biggrin: System design is one of my favorite parts of this hobby :)

If I were you, I absolutely would get one big tank. If money and space are not an issue (yeah!), then at least go with a 210g. Personally, I love have the 3' deep tank (front to back) for the aquascaping abilities. As I am sure you know, more water volume, more margin for error...not that you will make any more mistakes, Bob. :biggrin:

I'm with you on the tank width... moving from 12" to 18" was nirvana. 3' would give me so many possibilities, I'd probably freeze up in the aquascaping phase for months. Aquascaper's block.

bob

Big tank! Not that much more work than a small tank. Definitely less work that a bunch of small tanks.

Not that much more expensive than a small tank. Definitely less expensive than a bunch of small tanks (and ballasts, and skimmers, and pumps....)

Buy the biggest, baddest, most outrageous aquarium you can if cost is not a problem. That way it's impossible for you to say next year that it's time to get a bigger aquarium (again)!

bigger the better

Get one big enough to sleep in then spend at least two years procrastinating and planning before you begin setting it up. That will help delay a repeat of the "I need a larger tank" syndrom. Right Dave? :lol:

Guest NSC

Bob, having seen all of your tanks I don't believe it was luck on your part for the success that you have had. Your systems are all extremely impressive and to tell you the truth I would love to see the what you would bring with a 180(or better) as I believe it was methodical, sound husbandry that got you where you are today.I vote massive tank! And I will be the first to call it...future TOTM.

Get one big enough to sleep in then spend at least two years procrastinating and planning before you begin setting it up. That will help delay a repeat of the "I need a larger tank" syndrom. Right Dave? :lol:

Are you kidding?!?! When I was in the planning stages Marine Scene kept on saying make an offer on a 600+ gallon tank they had in storage and had they actually called me back to see it I would have bought it and sold this one! I'm definitely an eternal victim of "I need a larger tank" syndrome. It's definitely incurable!

treaments and cures for chronic illnesses are always very expensive

Large tank....Don't think...just do.

Just setting up a 210g. It's much easier than maintaining multiple tanks already! The larger water volume provides alot of stability and it's just great to have the aquascaping space in the tank.

Oh, it is more work to set up initially, but well worth it.

Bob - Take my advice and don't go for a 210......get a 180 instead. Your armpits will thank you for it. Even standing on a chair I couldn't touch the bottom of the tank in the back. Remember getting all of the sand out of the tank???

Bob - Take my advice and don't go for a 210......get a 180 instead. Your armpits will thank you for it. Even standing on a chair I couldn't touch the bottom of the tank in the back. Remember getting all of the sand out of the tank???

NOT to worry... I have short arms. Only way I could have gotten that sand out of there was to climb inside. Tank height and width will be two major factors in any decision. I couldn't even reach the bottom of the 45 - one of the many reasons I switched everything into the 58. (Others being greater width, reef-ready, etc.)

bob

(edited)

NOT to worry... I have short arms. Only way I could have gotten that sand out of there was to climb inside. Tank height and width will be two major factors in any decision. I couldn't even reach the bottom of the 45 - one of the many reasons I switched everything into the 58. (Others being greater width, reef-ready, etc.)

bob

If you're worried about height, then the 240gallon I posted above sounds just right. That is the beast I will get once I'm out of school. 8X2X2.

Edited by jamesbuf

Beware of Glasscages.........they are cheap but it's a crap shoot on quality. Some people have gotten great tanks from them and others have had horrible experiences. Just as Yanek (emissary).

Even standing on a chair I couldn't touch the bottom of the tank in the back. Remember getting all of the sand out of the tank???

I've never set up a tank with taking it down in mind, and I never will.

It's starting to sound doomed from the start.

Go look at a big, tall, tank.

I thank god regularly that the 180 I was supposed to pick up had a small star in it.

I had to take the 72L x 24W x 30H

Go look at a big, tall, tank.

I thank god regularly that the 180 I was supposed to pick up had a small star in it.

I had to take the 72L x 24W x 30H

30 High? My 58 is 21" tall (36x18). And that is JUST RIGHT, said Goldilocks. Although 30" would have one advantage; I would NEVER try to use the sand bed as a frag farm...

I remember something Melev posted in Melev's reef... "This echino is placed about 3" from the bottom of the tank. I had to use a mask and snorkel to put it there." That would be ME with your 30" tall tank! Armpit to tips of my fingers is 25".

bob

Not trying to get him to think about that. He was an eye witness to trying to reach the bottom back of the tank to get the sand out. Just trying to demonstrate what a @$%#& of a time he would have trying to put things there.

Now, quit pickin on me Chip!! :cry:

Go BIG....and since money is not limiting.....why not build a "Reef Room" to go with it......now we're talking..... :smokin:

Whatever size you get, I suggest you put all of your tanks on 1 system with a shared sump. It's much easier to care for 1 system than 3. Only 1 system to test and only 1 system for water changes. I just added a 55g tank to my system for some reef unfriendlies like puffers, angels, and triggers. I now have on 1 system:

• 220g reef tank
  • 55g fish tank
  • 55g refugium
  • 40 frag tank