Heniochus diphreutes

Guest 4Runner

It shouldn't be. They have always been considered quite hardy. I would like to know how many of the quaranteened ones have tumble off the mortal coil vs. ones dumped in with other tankmates.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's what I got, only from this thread - numbers are alive/purchased. It is really cool that folks here are honest about what they are seeing.

jp - 1/1 no QT. Fish picking at pallys, frogspawn and possibly monti cap.

grav - ?/3

jamesbuf - 1/4

YB - 1/3

4Runner - 1/3

rsarvis - 1/3

That gives me 4/14 still alive after a month (!), with three other known purchased that are unaccounted for. It looks like BRK had 35, not sure how many are still at the store.

Edited by bigJPDC

Let's be careful here. It's very easy to take these numbers and assume that this is representative of the typical success/failure rate for this species or SW fish in general. In truth, the mortality rate from capture to stable like in home tanks could be much higher. On the other hand, survival rates could typically be much higher and this batch could have suffered from poor collection methods, shipping issues or any number of stresses en route to BRK or from BRK to our homes.

The fact that everyone has reported one or more losses could also be interpreted to mean that all of us (including BRK) did a p*$$ poor job of acclimating the fish or again, that they were stressed or diseased when we got them--or both. I doubt that my 5 juvie chromis, mandarin or LMB did any damage to the one that went missing in my tank, but aggression from other fish could have played a role in one or more death as well.

All I see in the numbers is that a significant number of fish from this batch died (or disappeared) within a short time after being added to the customers' tanks. Nothing more, nothing less. None of us from this batch have had them long enough for anyone to come to the conclusion that they are hard to keep.

My experience with this fish has been good! I had one that was in my 30g tank that got a fungus on its top fin that I had to treat 3x with a fungus tablet before it cleared up but did fine after that.

Keep in mind with ALL LIVEstock, situations arise where even a reputable vendors as BRK have a bad shipment once in a while, just through shear numbers!

I've done over $20,000.00 worth of GB over the years and some shipments, ALOT don't make it, others maybe 10-20% don't, so take this info with a grain of salt!

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up 3 diphruetes one month ago. I think they were part of the second big batch available from BRK.

When I got them home I tried to do a freshwater bath in RODI water, but the bath lasted all of 15 seconds. At the 10 second mark, one of them looked ok, another was tilted sideways at a 45 degree angle, and the third was flat on the bottom. It looked like something was going very wrong and in a panic I dumped them all directly into the tank. So much for acclimation.

They started off being kind of picky at feeding time. I tried pellets, flake, live brine, frozen mysis, and 'mini' freeze-dried krill. The only things they would take were the brine and mysis, and with those they would eat only small pieces, spitting out more than they actually swallowed. I'm still giving them live brine once in awhile, but now they are eating whole frozen mysis and mini krill. I feed once in the morning, once around 5 pm and again at around 7 pm before lights off. They spend a lot of time poking around rocks during the day, sometimes even upside down, looking for food. I'm going to try again with the pellets pretty soon.

One of them lost its 'banner' at about week 1.5. First the 'feathery' part of the banner fell off and it was swimming around with just the boney 'pole'. The pole broke off a couple days later. A new banner is growing in and is about an inch long now (pretty fast regrowth).

They are the only fish in the tank. I haven't seen any bickering between them and they stay pretty close together when they're in the water column. They don't hide in the rocks to sleep but hover close together a few inches from the rock in a low flow part of the tank. Besides rock, all I have is a small colony of pink zoanthids and two nickel-sized palyothas, all of which they ignore.

So far so good with these guys.

Edited by Valab

Depending on how much liverock you're going to have, I think you'd be fine. Looking at the pics of your current 92gal, you seem to be leaving plenty of room for fish to swim, so I'd go for it.

Aquarium World in Houston, TX has a pretty sweet school of the Heniochus. They are full grown and awesome. I don't know how big the tank is, but it is about the size of a room.

Are they selling them? I'm in Houston right now, maybe a little carry-on? :)

Are they selling them? I'm in Houston right now, maybe a little carry-on? :)

No liquids on the plane. I think there was a post here a long while back about transporting corals as carry-ons.