Heniochus diphreutes

Guest 4Runner

I lost 3 out of 4 during my tank move. Freaking sucks. All 4 were doing so well.

yikes, I wonder how many out of the 30 or whatever are still around.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about MEAN Damsels and Maroon clowns?

Phil,

The 2 fish/species are beautiful, but will NEVER see one in my tanks!!

Just too darn agressive, with or w/o the B/WHD!

But, I had a Blue Velvet Damsel and the last one I had in the 75g tank with him and he held his own!

....that was the same BVD that killed my B/W H. Acumintas that was mistakenly shipped to me by VividAquatics and killed my Flame Angel 1 week later!

...BAD FISH, BAD FISH!!!!!

Never, went the Maroon route, but a fish that likes to bite the hand that feeds it, doesn't make my book either!

:lol:

The smallest of my three was eating from day one but not as agressively as the other two. It still appeared very healthy though. I had it for about three weeks or so and came home one day to find it missing. No carcass to be found. Fed himself to the RBTA maybe? :why:

The other two are doing great though!

Hey Johnny,

Any idea on when another shipment might come in?

Yeah, Johnny. When will you be getting any more in? I need to have at least 3 total.

I would assume most, I havent heard otherwise.

I think I've seen stories of at least 5-6 dead now, and it's only been a couple of weeks. Plus the one I saw at PetSmart.

Guest 4Runner

All 3 of mine were eating. 1 disappeared on day 6. Another was gone 2 days later. I am just thinking about getting the last one some friends.

Edited by 4Runner

To BRK's defense, mine had been doing well for about 2weeks before dieing. I bought the very first 4 from him the first first week he got them. All 4 were doing quite well and loving life in my old setup, eating both mysis and cyclopeeze like it was their job. I do believe the stress of the tank moves are what killed them. I definitely plan on buying additional fish so my last one doesn't feel so lonely. :(

no, sorry for the confusion - I don't think anything negative about any LFS, I am just interested in how the club is doing with this fish, only because I know that we snatched them all up. There would be a return policy if the liability wasn't 100% on the fish purchaser, and that is clearly understood.

The fish type and LFS are irrelevant to my interest, it's just an opportunity to see how 30 or 50 or whatever number of $35 fish survive in our various setups, and if we're already down 1/3 to 1/4 of them after a couple of weeks I really don't know what that says.

I really don't know what that says.

What this says is for each and everyone of us doing purchasing from Online/LFS/members/etc to look at your QT/Acclimation process!

-I've been guilty of floating fish for 15minutes and dumping into the tank, wrong!

-getting fish setup to go into your tank, should take time to allow the fish to ease un-harmed into its new environment, not harrassed by other agressive fish, turned into tank under bright lights, not allowing to QT for possible diseases on fish and to your tank, etc.

IMO to get a GOOD Fish into your system:

#1 If at a LFS/Members/Etc, LOOK at the fish, is it a GOOD specimen that stands a better than average chance to make it? (Online we don't have this option!)

No marks? Lips, gills, fins, body look fine? Swimming in the tank ok? EATING?

#2 Transporting home, I've become a big fan of vendors adding oxygen into the bags, seems to allow them a lot more time and increase survival rates! Also put in a cooler or something to keep them stable!

#3 QT Tank, seriously think about this! My setup is a simple 10g tank, Biowheel, heater, 2" piece of PVC Piping for them to hide in and small lid, cover or light fixture

#4 Float the fish in the bag

#5 Do a drip method using a small tubing with a simple knot in it or Medical Dripper.

#6 When bag is full, empty out 1/2, fill again, then take out with your hand or net and place in DARK tank.

#7 Give them time!

#8 When they seem quite, try feeding them, preferably live or fresh food. Idea here is to just getting them to eat SOMETHING! Build up there reserves and be ready to go into main tank, where they are sure to be harrassed by somebody!!

#9 Add KICK ICH after a day (I'm beginning to love this stuff) and drop salinity to about 1.017 over a couple of days, then raise slowly back to your tank level around 1.025-1.026. By then, your fish should be ready to go into tank as long as they are eating good

#10 Add into tank, as lights are going out in the evening

#11 PRAY! :wink:

no, sorry for the confusion - I don't think anything negative about any LFS, I am just interested in how the club is doing with this fish, only because I know that we snatched them all up. There would be a return policy if the liability wasn't 100% on the fish purchaser, and that is clearly understood.

The fish type and LFS are irrelevant to my interest, it's just an opportunity to see how 30 or 50 or whatever number of $35 fish survive in our various setups, and if we're already down 1/3 to 1/4 of them after a couple of weeks I really don't know what that says.

i agree. reading about this sometimes makes me think that this hobby does as much harm as good in educating people about reef conservation. while we do that, we're slowly (or not so slowly) killing them ourselves.

i mean, look at the bangaii cardinals, they're getting close exctinct due to solely to our hobby.

i agree. reading about this sometimes makes me think that this hobby does as much harm as good in educating people about reef conservation. while we do that, we're slowly (or not so slowly) killing them ourselves.

i mean, look at the bangaii cardinals, they're getting close exctinct due to solely to our hobby.

For some reason I thought bangiis are now being captive bred... am I wrong?

I don't think the one that disappear from my tank had anything to do with improper acclimation (slow drip over a full day), QT or anything similar. It was eating, swimming and had no visible signs of disease. No carcass was found inside or outside of the tank. It just disappeared.

For some reason I thought bangiis are now being captive bred... am I wrong?

they are, but most that you see in any store are wild caught... basically, being "captive bred" usually puts a premium on the fish. for instance, wild banggais are ~17.99 ish... captives can go for 35-40.

it's cheaper by far to catch them (due to other side of the world labor and prices) than to breed marine fish.

go in any fish store, and the ORA/captive breds will be more $$ every single time, and specifically labelled as such.

anyway, i wasn't suggesting that anyone did anything wrong, i just kinda randomly spouted there. :)

well, back to the HD - I think this is going to turn bad for me. After eating all the eyelashes off my pallys, the monster has turned his attention to nipping at my frogspawn and hounding and herding my very peaceful copperband.

this guy needs to go - any takers with any kind of trade? It will take me a day or two to get the 20L I have running, since I wouldn't put it in my frag tank and if my wife sees it peck at the copperband, our first fish, it will be flushed.

let me know,

jp

well, back to the HD - I think this is going to turn bad for me. After eating all the eyelashes off my pallys, the monster has turned his attention to nipping at my frogspawn and hounding and herding my very peaceful copperband.

this guy needs to go - any takers with any kind of trade? It will take me a day or two to get the 20L I have running, since I wouldn't put it in my frag tank and if my wife sees it peck at the copperband, our first fish, it will be flushed.

let me know,

jp

Do you have more than one? If so, I wonder if keeping them in a school might decrease any aggression. When I had 4 they were all peaceful, but so is my lone one that I have now.

How much do you feed yours?? Mine is a pig and eats like crazy. Maybe you're not feeding enough which is why it might be attaching corals?

I can't imagine two of these in my tank.

I feed one cube of mysis per day and the HD steals most of the food when I do. I could try increasing that but never had a problem before.

I am sure somebody here would like to add this guy to their livestock.

I think that's 8 gone now.

Sorry, I missed this thread for a while. I've lost 2 of 3. I (well, my gf) bought 3 on the Thurday before the social. They acclimated really well and were eating almost immediately, though a day or two later I noticed one had a small white cloudy patch. That one looked pretty bad by Sunday, the white patch much expanded, and my attempt to move him to a quarantine tank stressed him more than he could handle and he died. The other two were looking good, but the next weekend, before leaving for a day trip, I noticed a second one with the cloudy patch; when I got back, he was just gone. The third one is still doing well (keeping fingers crossed) and is showing no signs of illness. My copperband, though, died last week after (seemingly) doing fine for quite a while; he exhibited what may have been a white cloudy patch as well, but I'm not sure if it was the same. He seemed really healthy, was totally cool with everything in the tank, and got along with the HDs when they were added, then all of a sudden, he died. It's all very frustrating. (Does anyone know what that white cloudy patch is or indicates?)

(I speculate the death of the second HD and the copperband might have had to do with my experimenting with use of a phosphate remover or switching two-part brands, which I foolishly did around the same time, but the first guy was before that, i think, so maybe it was stress during acclimation? I thought I was pretty pateient with the acclimation, though I did get started rather late due to working late).

I'm just going to keep things as they are for a while and see how all my fish do.

I would eventually like to get more HDs. They look so cool in a group (I like my one alone, too, though). So I will await word of more coming in. No more additions for me until then, though (well, except maybe another copperband; he was my favorite).

holy cow that's 10 now I think unless I double counted - I have to back through this thread and get a count. Who would have thought this fish would be so hard to keep.