Kalk Bulk/Group Buy

xeon

I can get Mississippi lime in 50lb. bags for ~$30 each.  That comes out to ~60 cents a pound.  Specifically it is the CODEX Hydrated Lime (CODEX HL), which is recommended by Randy Holmes-Farley on RC.  He is the guru in the chemistry forums if the name does not ring a bell.  Here is a link if you want to see the specs: CODEX Hydrated Lime (CODEX HL)

The quantity is a bit much, but we would need at least 4 more bags spoken for.  This is the magic number to have it delivered... there is no delivery charge either.  This could be a lifetime supply for a lot of us.  Delivery would be to flowerseller's business in McLean, VA.  Post if you are interested.

Interested List

me - 1 bag

flowerseller - 1/2 bag

michaelg - 1/2 bag

Houshan - 1/2 bag

eddi - 1/2 bag

HowardofNova - 1/2 bag

dbartco - 1/2 bag

Lee Stearns - 1/2 bag

OUsnakebyte - 1/2 bag

Reefmon - 1/2 bag (maybe 1 depending)

clownfish4 - 1/2 bag

Ruh Roh - 1 bag

PDang - 1/2 bag

If you are listed incorrectly, let me know

Total upon tabulation: 7.5  (needed at least 6)

Order to be placed on 9/17/04, unless there are any objections.  

Additional notes:

This order is for Calcium Hydroxide also called Pickling Lime and Kalkwasser.  This order is not for Calcium Oxide aka Quicklime.

Calcium Hydroxide can be used for either drip setups or in Kalk reactors.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we would need to buy a whole 50lb bag?  If someone wants to split one with me, I will divy it up.  (I'll wear the protective garments/gloves/ventilator...).

Michael

Guest Houshan
So we would need to buy a whole 50lb bag?  If someone wants to split one with me, I will divy it up.  (I'll wear the protective garments/gloves/ventilator...).

Michael

Michael,

I'll split one with you. :)

If for some reason we end up a half bag short, I'll take a whole bag.

- Jose

Dave,

I would be interested but I have a couple dumb questions.  Is the Hydrated lime used the same way as kalk (or Mrs. Ball pickling lime)?  What is the shelf life?   I would imagine a 50 lb bag would indeed be a life time supply.

If it works out I would be interested in a half or whole bag, if no one else wants to split one.

Thanks.

Actually, if you read the following article, you will see Randy uses Calcium Oxide (CODEX PQL) and not the hydrated lime (food grade link in the first part of the article) that you are referring to:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/chem.htm

If you click the link in that article where Randy says "the calcium oxide I use" you get the following:

http://www.mississippilime.com/product....tting=2

There does not appear that much of a difference between the two, but just so folks know the distinction between what Randy uses and what is proposed to be purchased.

By the way, I've been using the food grade hydrated lime without any problems for the past year.  I got mine from Reefdreamer on RC a while ago when he was selling it.  I would prefer the calcium oxide and would go in if you got it.

So is this good product or not?

If so, I would be interested in 1/2 a bag!

Howard

I'd be glad to take a 1/2 bag.

iceman, what are we looking at here? One is more soluable vs one with more Ca %?  Or are we looking for a little bit larger partical size that will precipitate from the water column better.

Other thoughts?

Eddi, it is the same thing and a very good grade at that.  The shelf life I have no idea, but I would say keep it as dry as possible and it should be good for many many years.  I might call my grandfather who is a chemist also.

Edit: I called him... when you mix calcium oxide with water... you make Calcium Hydroxide. Who knew?

CaO (Calcium Oxide) + H2O (water) = CaOH2 (Calcium Hydroxide)

This is an exothermic reaction, which gives off noticeable heat.  He also gave it a shelf life of a million years or better... :) according to him it is a very stable compound.  You just don't want it to collect moisture, a good sealed container should be perfect.    

Randy uses the Calcium Oxide, but recommends the Calcium Hydroxide product for people using reactors.  Again, the Calcium Oxide gets hot when you mix it with water... not a desirable thing with a reactor.

So, you would not recommend using this product in a Kalk reactor, right?  Just in a Kalk drip...?

Also, can you add it quickly, or does it need to sit first and then be dripped?

No, the Codex HL is Calcium Hydroxide, which is the same thing as pickling lime.  You could either drip or use it in a reactor.  The Calcium Oxide is the one that Hydrates and has an exothermic reaction when added to water.  That is not what I/we will be buying.

Dave,

Sorry to add confusion to your thread.  It was not my intent.

I'm currently using the hydrated lime, which you are proposing to order, in a kalk reactor.  The only thing I find with it is there is considerable residue left in the bottom (even with a powerhead to help mix it) as compared to other reefers who use a purer calcium hydroxide (like Kents, SeaChem, etc).  

I'd be curious to find out whether the calcium oxide is purer, or dissolves more completely, than the hydrated lime.

For what it is worth, the hydrated lime that Dave is ordering is similar to Balls, Mrs. Wages, etc, and works just fine in kalk reactors or makeup buckets.

gvl]]

OK! So this "stuff" WILL work with the Kalk Reactors that we are making & is good for the system, then I'm in for 1/2 a bag?

Howard

Boy,

I remember that this stuff is used to whitewash walls in Asia.

On adding water, this thing will just boil and one needs to be careful :)

Too bad. I plan to use it with a reactor or would be glad to chip in.

-krish

Guest Houshan

Boy,

I remember that this stuff is used to whitewash walls in Asia.

On adding water, this thing will just boil and one needs to be careful :)

Too bad. I plan to use it with a reactor or would be glad to chip in.

-krish

krish,

This is supposed to be ok in a reactor as it's Calcium Hydroxide.  When you mix water and Calcium Oxide is when you get the thremal reaction - which then creates Calcium Hydroxide.

At least this is what I understand.  I hope I'm not misunderstanding.

EDIT: I just looked on the web and I read Calcium Hydroxide mixed with water also produces heat.  I can't tell you how much heat but I guess not enough if it's safe in a reactor.

- Jose

Dave,

Confirmed for my 1/2, in case someone get's in late, I might even split my 1/2 or someone to do a 1/3 [ws]

Howard

Phong,

Not too late at all.  The order is not planned until tomorrow.  Maybe someone lurking wants a half?  If not, I think Glen (Reefmon) has indicated he will be an "X" factor, by taking a full or half.