Kalk Bulk/Group Buy

xeon

Just to chime in. If someones looking to make quick money to buy some new bulbs or something, there was a guy who had sold the miss. stuff for $2/lb+ ship and he sold his 100lb lot in maybe 3 days. I myself bought 4lbs and it filled a gallon jug maybe 80% full. Still half half of it 1.5 half later. Whatever is left over throw it on RC, they will eat it up.  Also, for your size order, I would bring plenty of dust masks when you start cutting those bags. My tub clouds up just opening the lid.

P.S. FWIW its never boiled for me<???> but when i mix it with vinegar in an old coolwhip tub, the tub does feel warm in my hand, but no where near say a standard light bulb. and using the "adding vinegar" method, I have hardly no residue left over.  That thread was here for awhile, but can be found on RC too. Im using a kent aqua doser, not sure how it works in a reactor

Kabala

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

I'm not sure what the best plan is.  I'm not sure if Mike G. meant he would be an official "splitter upper" or just his bag.  We will come up with something though.  

BTW, last call the order will be going in tomorrow.

The order has officially been placed for eight bags.  Dropoff should occur within the next two weeks.  There is currently no stock in VA.  Some will be shipped in from NC and turned around for dropoff at Chip's flower shop.

I'm not planning on splitting all of it up- unless we can do a clean cut in the first bag and just pour 1/2 into a second bag.  We want the bags to be water proof.  I can bring some extra tyvecs and gloves though so others can help...  I'll need at least one extra person.  Only have one respirator, but do have face masks that will help with the particles and probably be sufficient.  One quesiton I have, as these are coming in large bags- and 50lbs is a lot, what are we going to transfer them to?  We could use gallon sized ziplocks, but will probably only get about 3 lbs/ bag or so.  Suggestions on a larger type bag would be great (or some sort of tupperware?)

Guest PDang

Michaelg,

Do you think 1/2 bag will fit in the IO 200G bucket? I have extra bucket around with lid but i don't know if the lid will keep it air tight enough? Anybody know?

Phong

Phong, I would think a half bag would fit easily.  In addition to that, I think an empty IO (or other brand) bucket would be an ideal storage place as opposed to baggies.  For that matter any type of container that is going to be reasonably air tight and be large enough would fit the bill.

I was thinking of keeping it in a plastic trash bag, inside a 200 gal IO bucket.  That way I can seal both the bag and the bucket.

I can look and see how many IO buckets with lids I have if anyone else needs one.

That's a great idea.  I have a bucket and lid for myself, 2 if needed, and an extra lid that will fit the IO bucket or standard 5 gallon bucket.

I was planning on using a HomeDepot bucket with lid and putting in gallon zip lock bags to keep fresher longer. Only need to open then what I need as I go along.

Is anyone in the Beltway area plan on making a run to Culpeper, maybe have 1 or 2 do the pickups and setup meeting for locals?

Howard

There is no way I would recommend putting this stuff into a milk jug or 2 liter bottles.  It would be a huge mess.  It is a fine powder, and you don't want to be breathing it, which even after filled, you would be doing every time you tried to get some out.

Howard et al,

The shipment will arrive in McLean, VA at flowerseller's flower shop.  I agree with Mike, any container with a small opening sounds like a pain in addition to being problematic.

Folks,

Jose, thanks for clearing my misconception.

Darn, got back from business travel this week and it appears that i missed the

boat.

Well, i don't mind splitting 1/4 of a bag or whatever to go with the DIY kalkreactor

that we are putting together.

Tip: We can stock it airtight in the IO salt bucket. it can go into a trash bag, placed

inside the salt bucket :)

thanks

krish

Guest Houshan
I'm not planning on splitting all of it up- unless we can do a clean cut in the first bag and just pour 1/2 into a second bag.  We want the bags to be water proof.  I can bring some extra tyvecs and gloves though so others can help...  I'll need at least one extra person.  Only have one respirator, but do have face masks that will help with the particles and probably be sufficient.  One quesiton I have, as these are coming in large bags- and 50lbs is a lot, what are we going to transfer them to?  We could use gallon sized ziplocks, but will probably only get about 3 lbs/ bag or so.  Suggestions on a larger type bag would be great (or some sort of tupperware?)

Michael,

I was just going to use HD plastic buckets with lids to transfer my half into.  Would this be ok?

- Jose

When is the order do in? Today?

Delivery Update

I called to see if I could get a better delivery date today... other than sometime in the next two weeks.  The date I received was the 30th, which is next Tuesday.  I will follow up with them Friday or next week on Monday.  I do not like fuzzy shipping details, but it is out of my hands unfortunately.

The following weekend should be good for me.  I will grab a couple extra gowns for others to help with cutting it up.  Chip, will it be OK to do outside the shop? Or in someones driveway/street?    Some will invariably spill and an outdoor location would be best for this. I don't see any environmental hazard- but it might kill a little grass- but not much.

Michael

Michael

The lime has arrived.

Please make arrangements to pick up your bag at my house this Sunday between 3:00-5:00 during the Kalk glueing party.

I am not in a position to split it up or store it.

Some bags are leaking this white powdery stuff however,

my bag appears to be in excellent shape.  :D

Chip

There is no way I will be doing anything other than entertaining my wife on Sunday.  It is her birthday... you know the drill. ;)  If Sunday at Chip's works out for you... then by all means take care of business.  I will have to run this by Chip, but if you drop a salt bucket off... I will be willing to break up bags accordingly and bring them to the meeting next weekend.  I plan on picking up bags early next week.  Let me know who this works for or does not work for.  Another idea is that we can work up some bags at the frag meeting.  Just a little brainstorming.