• Tropic Marin
    • Seachem
    • Crystal Sea Marine mix
    • Red Sea
    • Bio-Sea
    • Coralife
    • Meersaltz
    • Homemade Concoction of some sort

I have used Instant Ocean Regular for 15 years and have always thought that it was sufficient. However, I just recently switched to Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I am hoping that the Reef Crystals are just like the regulare, except on steroids, providing additional trace elements that I do not add as supplements.

Hey

If you are bored come n over and clean my aquarium, plug algae, inject aiptasia, rewire the electrical components. Whenyou are done with that, one bathroom needs re-tiled. :cheers:

i use IO reef crystals so that i wouldnt have to worry about dosing as much and because it seems to be available the most

I've been using Tropic Marin for a year after using Reef Crystals for a few years and am very impressed with the improvement. My calcium and alkalinity levels seem better.

IO here for years too... it's been more cost effective for me to stick with IO rather than Reef Crystals as I go through ~70 gallons a week on my two systems... I've also noticed no difference in calcium levels at 350 or 400, and concentrate rather on my alkalinity...

No other salt has been used by more kick*** tanks over the years and the quality has stayed consistant. Other newer salts may give similar results but why chance it? The only gripe about IO is the low calcium levels, and again as long as I'm at 350 I'm good so that doesn't much matter to me, even with a fully stocked sps system...

I started with IO, I still use IO. I have seen too many threads here and elsewhere about issues when switching salts. I have also read the comparison studies. Unless something new comes out that is significantly better than IO, I'll stick with it. Its nice to be able, in a pinch, to find salt mix if necessary (most stores even pestmart carry IO).

Thats my 3 cents worth.

did you have any issues when you switched to Tropic Marin? I have heard horror stories about switching salts causing real problems.

John

:cheers:

None at all. Then again I don't have any real sensitive critters.

I used Crystal Sea Marine mix for years and was happy with it. But last new setup, switched to IO Regular, though I voted for RC by mistake.

Crystal Sea Marine mix is the brand I believe you need to be aware of! By itself its great, but if you mix with other brands, they have or don't have a gelatin mix that when it mixes with other brands, creates a BOMB in your tank that will cause the gelatin mixes in other brands to RELEASE its stored minerals into the system.

Causing your setup to crash

....or that's what has been said in the past!

Johnny at BRK stated it best, but not up on the techie stuff at the moment!

Guest tgallo

when i started my tanks 4 months ago i used IO wich i've been using on and off since i set up my first reef tank in 1988.

I recently tried a unkown brand made by a private dealer out of P.A., blew me away as far as sps polyp exstention and no more random CA to ALK levels in my mixing vat leading to precip on the side walls of the vats since you add your own CA wich comes with the saltmix.

Dont think youre getting such a great deal with the major brands,most of the big boys use YPS /yellow prussiate of soda wich is a anti caking agent used in big batches of commercial salt mixes wich contains small amounts of cyanide in the mix, you dont need it.

They also use other ingrediants to make the salt mix dissolve quicker when you mix it up,another additive designed to sell you salt wich only contributes to the wow factor, can you imagine buying a salt mix that didn't dissolve fast, you probably wouldn't buy it again. these agents are not needed, more impurites in your system.

CLICK HERE for info.