It was a busy week in my shop.

dandy7200

I don't think I will be at the social. We are having mass computer issues at the restaurant (server down) which means I will be a cashier all weekend :(

Rebecca, next picture I post will be of YOUR calcium reactor :biggrin:

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. You've really done some nice work. I'm very interested in scale model engines and I've seen a lot of work by guys that love what they're doing. You obviously have a gift and a passion. Thanks for sharing all of the pics. You are certainly quite a craftsman. If you start a business, I wish you well.

Alan

He did...

bob

Usually I don't like to post mid-construction photos but Rebecca has been waiting for this one for a little bit so.....

Here is a mostly assembled and awaiting a plumbing supply order that will be here in the morning update for her :) :

479266391_7d7d50dda6.jpg

(yours is the big one ;) )

Reactor features include all cell cast acrylic and heavy duty schedule 80 sheet and fittings. Panworld pumps with unions, integrated bubble counter, integraded check valve for Co2 supply line with stainless springs and washer, recirculating upflow design, through the lid plumbing, keyholed lid, integrated probe holder, heavy duty grey spaflex connections to the pumps to dampen vibration noise, pump bolted to a 3/8" base plate, color coded effluent lines, heavy duty pinch valve for effluent control (no sprinkler valves here), all connections for water and gas are heavy duty nylon compression fittings with 316 stainless washers, made with pride in the good ol USA :)

Guest Bemmer
(edited)

Dan,

Thanks that 624 is so sweeeeeet. It looks pretty simple...and by simple I mean easy to figure out. It looks like a plug and play...with some tweeking.

Look forward to getting this reactor hooked up.

It will go very nicely with my other GreySea equipment.

I will pick up my CO2 tank this week. But from the sounds of the goodies it comes with...what else could I need?

Edited by Bemmer

Caribsea just come out with a large grain version of their ARM. I am trying to see if it is possilble for one of the vendors to start stocking it. The media size is 10mm-20mm which will make it comparable to the gen-x or shuran medias but hopefully more available and they sell it in 50# sacks as well.

dan it looks very very nice. lmk when you want to get together about product documentation so i can make a schedule window for yah :)

I'm actually test driving one of Dan's kalk reactors.

A little "higher tech" than my DIY reactor but so far pretty darn nice unit he put in place Sunday evening.

Having used Kalk for 15+ years with different techniques of adding it,this is a slightly different aproach.

Many are familiar with all the group builds I've run, including several PH stired DIY reactor builds.

Dan thought this was a good fit to see how this type unit fits into my system.

It's even got a nifty little red light to tell it's on and working.

Guest Bemmer

Dan,

How is your Kalk reactor different than your Kalk stirrer...beside the obvious stirring arm? Do they both achieve the same results, getting Kalkwasser into the system thru a drip? Thanks for the quick education.

R-

Dan,

How is your Kalk reactor different than your Kalk stirrer...beside the obvious stirring arm? Do they both achieve the same results, getting Kalkwasser into the system thru a drip? Thanks for the quick education.

R-

I only make 1 type. Chip is calling my kalk stirrer a reactor :)

I only make 1 type. Chip is calling my kalk stirrer a reactor :)

Well, technically aren't they all reactors......just different means of mixing the kalk inside?

Now, Chip - tell Dan you're sorry.

Guest Bemmer

Caribsea just come out with a large grain version of their ARM. I am trying to see if it is possilble for one of the vendors to start stocking it. The media size is 10mm-20mm which will make it comparable to the gen-x or shuran medias but hopefully more available and they sell it in 50# sacks as well.

Let me know what you find out from your vendors...or do you mean one of our favorite LFS will carry it? Either way, let me know where I pick some up for my new toy.

Let me know what you find out from your vendors...or do you mean one of our favorite LFS will carry it? Either way, let me know where I pick some up for my new toy.

PM Sent.

I sure hope you remembered the 12 jars of GenX under the 300 I am not going to need for awhile :why:

That should fill the monster reactor for the NADC tank :cheers: . Lets see, I forgot the media, the watts up meter, the alita 40 and more then likely a few other things that day :wink:

:frustrated: *%#@ the metric system! :frustrated:

I've had it up to my eyeballs with these Eheim 1250's. Bigger 1262's are a cinch but I've gone through 6 1250's trying to get the smaller skimmer worked out and I'm putting it on the shelf for a while since I can't afford to throw that much money into R&D on these right now. I could use genx, sedra or ocean runner pumps but I'd really like to work the Eheims into all skimmer models. I know many of you guys were waiting on smaller skimmer design but, it ain't going to happen from me for a little while unless I see significant interest in a off the shelf pump.

Calcium reactors on the other hand are smokin' in the test tank :smokin: I'd put these up against anything on the market hands down. I'll get some final build pics and specs up after the weekend.

(edited)

I've had it up to my eyeballs with these Eheim 1250's. Bigger 1262's are a cinch but I've gone through 6 1250's trying to get the smaller skimmer worked out and I'm putting it on the shelf for a while since I can't afford to throw that much money into R&D on these right now. I could use genx, sedra or ocean runner pumps but I'd really like to work the Eheims into all skimmer models. I know many of you guys were waiting on smaller skimmer design but, it ain't going to happen from me for a little while unless I see significant interest in a off the shelf pump.

Calcium reactors on the other hand are smokin' in the test tank :smokin: I'd put these up against anything on the market hands down. I'll get some final build pics and specs up after the weekend.

Doh!!!! Looks like I'm keeping my G5 for a while. Out of curiosity, how did you ruin 6 pumps? What modification has to be made on them that it woulf ruin them?

Edited by jamesbuf

I don't care what kind of a pump mine has... as long as it works.

If it's going to be several months, I guess I'll have to get another skimmer. Sigh...

bob

dan if you have a few minutes, give me a call, id like to know what stumbling blocks you hit with the eheim pumps, also with a potential help as far as playing with pumps less expensively. i have more than a few connections with the water cooling market and i do have steep discounts on certain items. for experimentation im happy to see if i can help.

The problem with the smaller Eheim is two issues. First the standard impeller is junk. It's made very cheaply and not nearly as machinable as the lager 1260/62 impellors. The plastic is pretty soft and just not alot I can do with it. The metric to standard conversion I got down as well as a nice venture and volute combo for this pump but the actual impeller is the weakness. Interestingly I got the 1250 pushing close to 1000gph while drawing only 23watts with no head with the new volute which means it might still have some practical applications but not on this skimmer at this time.

I know it's not much comfort for those waiting on these skimmers but I will get it right in time, I just wont sell something that is not as good as it could be yet. I'm working on developing the entire product line and this skimmer will be part of it, I just need to rethink it and come back to it after a bit. One option I am thinking is actually using a 1262 and tuning it down to around 25 watts or so which would be perfcect air draw ad power consumption although a little larger and more expensive option.....

...One option I am thinking is actually using a 1262 and tuning it down to around 25 watts or so which would be perfcect air draw ad power consumption although a little larger and more expensive option.....

Time to market is a serious consideration for any business. IMHO focus on one that covers the most product line and tuning around it is a good plan. Cost/Margin impact is a bummer, but the return from faster product development needs to be in the equation.

Cheers :>)

No worries. I'd rather have a longer wait and know that all the tweaks had been worked out. Its not like my G5 is having troubles filtering my 42gal.

Are the Eheim pumps that much better than the sedras and such? Never had one, so I don't know.