Fragging Zoanthids

lanman

Okay - on the new rock I got from a tank breakdown, along with the monty digi's, are some nice zoanthids.

1. There are TWO polyps of a bright yellow with bright yellow center - they are about to be engulfed by the base plate of one of the monty's. I don't want to see them die. They are in a depression in the rock, with the monty almost forming an upside-down V with the polyps in the V. It doesn't look possible to break off the piece of rock under them without doing major damage. Is it possible to take a scalpel (exacto knife) and cut them at their base, or scrape them off, and have them survive? Other suggestions??

2. There is a large cluster of oranges, with dark centers. Not particularly exciting, but I'd like to get a few off of there for my nano. What tools do you use to tear out small pieces of rock without leaving big marks?

3. Two orange with orange centers - very nice, and not in immediate danger of being over-run. Should I just wait until there are more polyps?

4. Any suggestions on encouraging zoanthids to spread and grow??

Thanks,

bob

Bob,

For fragging zoas, I typically have some live rock rubble, plugs, discs, or whatever you want to mount them on, a razorblade, and some superglue. I pull the rock out of the water and cut the zoas I want to frag at their base. Usually I like to frag 8-10 polyps at a time. Once I cut them loose, I put some glue on the rubble or plug or disc, and attach the polyps. The whole process takes me 5 minutes, tops.

And yes, wait until they grow out decently before fragging. No point in fragging 2 polyps. Unless of course, they are extremely rare and you want to sell them for $$

:cheers:

Bob,

For fragging zoas, I typically have some live rock rubble, plugs, discs, or whatever you want to mount them on, a razorblade, and some superglue. I pull the rock out of the water and cut the zoas I want to frag at their base. Usually I like to frag 8-10 polyps at a time. Once I cut them loose, I put some glue on the rubble or plug or disc, and attach the polyps. The whole process takes me 5 minutes, tops.

And yes, wait until they grow out decently before fragging. No point in fragging 2 polyps. Unless of course, they are extremely rare and you want to sell them for $$

:cheers:

In this case - it's because the two yellows are in danger of extinction (in my tank).

I have a picture. Can someone explain how to put a picture in here? It is about 3mb in size - taken with 7-megapixel camera. Do I need to massage it first?

Thanks,

bob

Make sure to wear gloves! Zoos can be highly toxic.

And safety glasses... I've heard. Thanks for the reminder, though.

bob

dremel with diamond blade.

Hack under the zoos, taking the rock underneath. That way you cna remount the zoos. A pic would be better if we could see.

Bob,

When you add a reply scroll down on the reply page until you see "File Attachments".

Click on the "browse" and your computers pix files should open, click on the pix of your choice and it should

go into "file attachments" then click on the right "Add this attachment"

if that does not work then resize your picture.

Ingo

Hack under the zoos, taking the rock underneath. That way you cna remount the zoos. A pic would be better if we could see.

I agree. I have found it much easier and successful to take a bit of rock off with the zoas. They tend to do better and settle in faster.

Okay - let's see if this links to a picture:

http://images20.fotki.com/v390/photos/1/10...IMGP2304-vi.jpg

I'm figuring this out. Here is a close-up of the yellow zoa's surrounded by monty:

http://images22.fotki.com/v518/photos/1/10.../closeup-vi.jpg

bob

Edited by lanman