WAMAS 150g

Grav

So everyone was there at the frag meeting right?  Remember the guy that won Tony's 150g tank in the raffle really only wanted the sump?  

Well, Fagon (sp?) couldn't fit the tank in his car, so in exchange for some $, and an Acro frag, I help solved his problem...

It's going to be a while before I can really focus on this new tank, and get her going (I'm in the middle of rebuilding a fireplace in the living room) but I plan to keep a running post of the development of this tank.

WTB: Everything.

The big things for now seem to be:

Stand,  (Suggestions on a 48 * 24 stand for Acrilic?)

Sump, (anything will do for now)

Skimmer,

Return pump,

Live Rock

Lights

Grav,

I would suggest thinking about building your own stand (unless you can find one built by another reefer).  This way you can fit the sump and decor you want and not have to compromise.

David

I'm pretty handy and have the tools from a table saw to router table to compund miter saw.  Just not sure I'm up to building a stand to hold 1,500 pounds when the price of failure is so high.  8 years ago I got OUT of the FW fish hoby when my 55g tank cracked while sitting on a stand I had made.  Now that tank went through a lot, move 2x / year while I was in school, and I built the stand before I knew what I was doing.... just not sure.  Also with Acrylic, I need to support the whole bottom, as opposed to glass that reall only needs the corners supported.  

How strong does that support in the center need to be?

Guest mikesroth
Wow thanks Grav, I did not realize that about Acrylic tanks.  The tank that I am getting this weekend, is without a stand and I had figured I would attempt to build a stand.

Hey Phil,

Congrats on being in the right place at the right time! darn!!!

I have a 4' canopy that you or anyone can have for FREE!

Dark walnut type stain on it now.

I plan on building a new stand and canopy for my 90g tank in about a week if you want to get together then?

For the 150g tank, use 2x6 framework and 3/4" platform. Check out the link on my Canopy topic. Sounds like you have the tools, go get back on the horse and DIY?  tng

Howard

Phil, congrats on the new tank.  I can't believe you are the one that walked away with it.  I don't have any ideas where to get a stand.  Maybe check with TonyG and see how he had it set up.  I'm sure that it would be fairly easy to replicate his stand.  If you need a hand, let me know.

Garrett.

Phil,

I built the stand for my acrylic 360 using 6 4x4s and braced them at the top and bottom with 2x4s.  I used a 3/5 plywood sheet underneath the tank.

I am not the world's greatest handyman, but that was 5 years ago and the tank is still standing.....

Guest mikesroth
Eddi... could you build another one and deliver it ot my house by Saturday??? :D

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Eddie, let me see if I have this right.  4*4s in each corner & center of front & back and 2*4s running along the edges, with no support other than plywood in the center.  Correct?

I was under the impression that the center needed some serious support.  No?

Howard, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that.  Is it 4 ft * 2 ft?  How tall?

Michael, your tank is a 185, right?  What is the foot print on that?  

Final question.  Anyone have any thoughts on something to level the tank?  something like you would find on a Pool or foozball table to account for uneven floors.

Hi Grav

When I build my stands I build what looks like a wall turned on it's side. Put plywood on it and build legs for it. Since the acylic needs to be supported and level I would place a piece of 3/4 rigid foam from HD, the stuff used on houses. This foam will help level out the tank and keep pressure points from forming.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

I knew about the foam to even out the surface but didn't realize it was ridged insulation... guess I was thinking stryrofoam.  I'd would have gone with "joists" as you described, but sounds like Eddie doesn't have them on his big tank.

Still, I'm thinking something like adjustable feet on the bottom of the legs.  I have never had a tank 100% level and plumb and it drives me crazy.

Phil

Guest mikesroth

Phil,

My tank is a weird size.  59.5 l x 30.5 w x 24 h.  I will re-measure it this weekend, as those might just be the inside measurements.

I thought I had seen that people were using regular styrofoam as pads on RC.

Phil,

I am getting old and you know what they say, memory is the first to go (well, maybe second depending on who you ask).

Actually I think I have 8 4x4s braced by 2x2s on all sides, top and bottom, to prevent the posts from swaying left to right or front and back.  The sheet of plywood is sitting on the inside 2x2.  It is actually very solid.  I am sure it would hold considerable more weight than it has.  But, as I said, I am old so I could be completely lying.  I will verify when I get home, you are more than welcome to stop by and take a look if you care.

I specifically did not use foam or insulation material on the plywood, but now I don't remember why (see the pattern?).  I did a fair amount of research and remember reading a number of posts where people stated that was actually counterproductive because the material could end compressing unevenly and causing stress points.

My stand is level but not vertical.  If you look at the water level from the side, the front is 1/4" higher than the back.  I called the company that made the tank to inquire if that would be an issue, sent them pictures to show the level and they stated the tank would not be compromised.  Of course I am not sure they would back that promise up in writing, but it has held so far.  The stand is on carpet on top of cement so I knew the chances of being level and horizontal were slim.

Phil,

Due to the weight issue, IMO, I wouldn't use "adjustable" legs on a stand, too much weight. Would bore a hole in your carpet, floor, etc. Use small wooden shims that you can pickup at HD.

Build the stand level, shim up the corners with solid wood material and should be all that is required. 4x4 will work but will take away 4" from the inside cabinet space vs. 2x4

IMO, I would use 2x6 if your worried.

Any compression type material like styrofoam will work on the low side, the problem with any type of material less than solid is that is will continue to compress. Solid in the beginning is better. Out of curiosity, how bad is your flooring?

Maybe a concrete slab is what you need? :)

Howard

Thanks all, I got my surprize last Saturday.  How does everyone know it is my B-day?  It must be in my info somewhere.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone is against the adjustable feet.   Final answer: bad idea.  

Right now I'm thinking 4*4s in the corners, 2*6s attached with lap joints and carriage bolts for the 4ft length, 2*4s as the joists and 5/8ths plywood for the deck and floor.  Maybe I'll take a national pole on RC on the use of foam under the tank.  

Actually Howard, this would be going onto a cement floor.  

Right, no PT that is for sure.  What is KD Fir?

Guest Yomeister66
Phil,

My tank is a weird size.  59.5 l x 30.5 w x 24 h.  

Michael,

Is that an Oceanic tank you're getting? Sounds like the dimensions of my 110. (60x18x24). Got mine used as well. Bad thing is that Oceanic does not make the 60" tank anymore. I had to custom order the canopy (which I only used for 8 months since I just upgraded to an MH hood)

If you need any lights, I still have 3 2-month old 140W 60" VHO Aquasun bulbs laying around. (I'd offer the canopy but it is only 18" deep....the back is open so it would fit on yours but you'd be 12" short.....probably not the look you're going for)

Good luck with the tank-move this weekend.

Johan

Guest mikesroth
I think it is a custom made acrylic tank.  So after I get it, it get to learn how to sand scratches out of acrylic. :D  I think I am going to have a hard time 'buying' a stand, since it is a weird size, so I am going to probably have to learn how to make one, and a canopy.