Overflow for 120 gal

Franco

Hey guys,

Figured I'd gather opinions on overflows. I'm at the infancy stage of upgrading to a rimmed 120 gal. Been doing some research on overflows, and I've landed on a 16" Synergy Shadow overflow. I definitely want to run a Bean Animal overflow, and this seemed like it'd be a good option. 

Current plan is to make this a mixed reef that includes SPS corals, so I want to make sure that my flow and skimming are good enough to support that.

Anybody have any experience with this particular model? Or have any other suggestions for me to explore? FWIW I do not want to go with the bulky corner overflows. 

Shadow is the way to go if you aren't shy about drilling.  I have the predecessor when they were still made by hand.  Shadow is nicer even though made of molded ABS.  No build quality irregularities and a more refined design.  You'll get plenty of flow for a 120gal.  I am using the 20 inch on my 180g and am doing about 1800gph.

I have a 16" Shadow on one end of my 120g setup as a peninsula. I like how long profile it is in the tank. The molded piece with no bulkheads on the bottom is nice, however the plastic is very thin and a little flimsy for the price.

In my opinion, ModularMarine has a better product and it's a little cheaper as well. They've made some recent changes that are pretty nice. 

You're right, those are really nice.  Look nicer than the Shadow maybe.  I like how they taper down the insides of the weir teeth to make it quieter.  The teeth are not silent on mine. 

I'd like to see all of these stealth overflows get an inside and outside box that are a little bit deeper.  The problem with shallow ones is that you need to keep the entire connecting bulkhead submerged underwater in order for it to be silent when the water is moving from the inner to the outer boxes.  Otherwise bubbles go through and it makes noise.  If the boxes are shallow, that means that the top of those connecting bulkheads is close to the lid on the box, which doesn't allow much margin for the water level to rise in the outer box.

I’m actually doing an 80 frag build right now and went with the eshopps eclipse M (800gph). I liked the eshopps because it’s a herbie style, it came with the drill bit and generally looks well built. It’s acrylic through and through. I also dropped the outer box twice from about 3.5 feet onto basement concrete and it held up fine.

29c3d2297e12f99cb92cc498032373f8.jpgcb62f58f91e9c77262ae24eb11e4868e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, ModularMarine has a better product and it's a little cheaper as well. They've made some recent changes that are pretty nice. 

Great find! That looks really sleek and well-built. I'm going to take a hard look at that one. The price is definitely attractive...

I’m actually doing an 80 frag build right now and went with the eshopps eclipse M (800gph). I liked the eshopps because it’s a herbie style, it came with the drill bit and generally looks well built. It’s acrylic through and through. I also dropped the outer box twice from about 3.5 feet onto basement concrete and it held up fine.

That's nice that it comes with the drill bit. I just figured I'd have to order one on Amazon for drilling. I'll check out their Eclipse L model, since I'm fairly sold on running a bean animal style overflow. Thanks for the recommendation!

You're right, those are really nice.  Look nicer than the Shadow maybe.  I like how they taper down the insides of the weir teeth to make it quieter.  The teeth are not silent on mine. 

I'd like to see all of these stealth overflows get an inside and outside box that are a little bit deeper.  The problem with shallow ones is that you need to keep the entire connecting bulkhead submerged underwater in order for it to be silent when the water is moving from the inner to the outer boxes.  Otherwise bubbles go through and it makes noise.  If the boxes are shallow, that means that the top of those connecting bulkheads is close to the lid on the box, which doesn't allow much margin for the water level to rise in the outer box.

Yea, that takes some fiddling with for sure. I was able to get it pretty quiet running about 400gph but anything higher without submerging the bulkheads does create a fair amount of noise with a lot of surface agitation in the display. 

That's nice that it comes with the drill bit. I just figured I'd have to order one on Amazon for drilling. I'll check out their Eclipse L model, since I'm fairly sold on running a bean animal style overflow. Thanks for the recommendation!

Pretty sure the ModularMarine boxes come with the bit now as well; the template/jig is a welcome addition as well. 

I will be installing a shadow overflow on a new 75 as soon as the 63 mm drill bit arrives(should be here this coming week). You are welcome to borrow the drill bit so you won't have to buy one if you go with the shadow.

Yep you’re right those are really nice and they do have pics of the drill bit. Wish I had seen these.

I reviewed the eshopps in my build, also used it on a 22 gallon, the small

Ive done many Glass-holes overflow boxes. They're quiet and can handle the water volume. The pic above looks ridiculously small and I'm guessing it isnt sized correctly.

Check the overflow box calculator on Reefcentral.