Raising Po4

Josh&Sarah

I want to get my Po4 off 0.  I already feed heavy and my skimmer drains into sump.  My nitrates are climbing, but my Po4 stays in the basement.  It's definitely not a testing issue, and there is no algae soaking it up.  Likewise I do not use any GFO or anything like that?  What would you all recommend?  The Brightwell product?  That seems to be the recommendation on R2R.  Thanks all!

Yes, I used Brightwell's Neophos when I had a similar challenge. I finally got over that hurdle and no longer need to use it.

I dose neophos and neo nitrate. Even with 25+ fish and heavy feedings I’m still dosing 10ml daily to maintain 5 nitrate and .09 phos. 

46 minutes ago, ReefdUp said:

Yes, I used Brightwell's Neophos when I had a similar challenge. I finally got over that hurdle and no longer need to use it.

35 minutes ago, epleeds said:

I dose neophos and neo nitrate. Even with 25+ fish and heavy feedings I’m still dosing 10ml daily to maintain 5 nitrate and .09 phos. 

Thank you Both!  I'll pick some up this week.  I wonder if I could just add some to my ATO as a doser?  I have a 100 gallon display, but I fill up my 5 gallon ATO reservoir every few days... maybe start slow and see what happens.  I'll read the directions when I purchase.  Thanks again!

Joshua 

4 minutes ago, epleeds said:

Def do not add it to your ATO. You need to either hand dose daily or get a doser for it. I have a few of you need one. ? 

Copy.  Don't add to ATO.  I actually have a doser, it just isn't hooked up because I don't trust it... haha.  I need to step up and get an Apex, but that is such a huge purchase.  I'll just make due with what I have for now.  I really appreciate the help.  Thanks!  

I have used neophos when my phosphates went to zero and I had a Dino bloom….my recommendation is to take it slow.  Are you having problems with the tank?  Just be careful chasing numbers as that can lead to more problems.

Darren

Tank is great other than a monti cap browning in the middle and some slower growth.  I'm mostly LPS these days.  But I did have a Dino outbreak last year so bad I almost tore the tank down.  I fed constantly... like an insane amount for months and did a series of black outs.  Lost a lot of SPS during that period.  Gave away what I could.  Fortunately my LPS and softies and all my fish pulled through just fine other than my prize Aussi gold.  Now everything looks good but I'm creeping up in nitrated to 15 or so and 0 phosphate again.  I'm just not home to feed 3 giant meals per day.  I can't do Dinos again.  That was miserable.  But... I beat it with patience and work.  I would like to get into SPS again more heavily, but not with 0 phosphate.  Once I figure I can control it a bit I will feel more comfortable.  I will definitely take it slow with the neophos.  Thanks for the info!  

I'm in the same boat as a few others here and I dose Neophos and NeoNitro on a doser. I am more afraid of 0's and dinos than I am elevated NO3/P04 levels. Don't be afraid to get a doser (yes even the cheapy Jebao Dosers) running. Just do proper calibration to know what you are getting and start slow. I am SPS dominant and am currently dosing about 70ml of each a week in an 100G system. 

Aaron

I tested the one I have and its pretty accurate.. Thanks though.  I dosed 3ml NEOPHOS yesterday.  0 ppb today on the checker.  So I dosed 6 ml today.  I'll try to find a sweet spot once I'm registering.  

Just be careful. I dosed for a few months until I got phosphates detectible. Corals improved... then I think the adsorption reservoir in the sand and a new piece of rock maybe became saturated and now I am running GFO to get it back down. If your tank is newer, it may take a while for the rock to bind as much as it can before PO4 remains in the water.