Jellyfish Tank Questions

YHSublime

Who's got one? Or had one? Was it Jellyfish Art or something else? Are they a lot of work, do the jellyfish last/survive, or is it a gimmick? 

22 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Another tank?

Sooooooo, you know anything about them or what?! I seem to remember the Jellyfish weren't sustainable for a long period of time. 

I tried the jellyfish-they lasted about 3 months but are supposed to last a year.  My tank is circular but I found it hard to maintain.  You can have it if you want-I think I paid a couple hundred for it.  I am not going to do them again because I felt guilty-maybe you will have better luck.  They were super pretty and I really liked them.  LMK-Cris

21 minutes ago, Cris said:

I tried the jellyfish-they lasted about 3 months but are supposed to last a year.  My tank is circular but I found it hard to maintain.  You can have it if you want-I think I paid a couple hundred for it.  I am not going to do them again because I felt guilty-maybe you will have better luck.  They were super pretty and I really liked them.  LMK-Cris

Cris, that would be awesome, I'll send a PM here in a bit. I, like you, might feel guilty if I can't get them to keep going for longer than 3 months, but a recent trip to the Baltimore Aquarium inspired me! 

I caught my jellies in the Chesapeake…..I tried comb jellies (Ctenophores) and sea nettles.  The hardest part is getting the flow right.  I purchased my tank from jelliquarium.  I have a legit kriesel tank (sp?).  I hope to fire the aquarium up again when I get more time…..next time I will try the aquacultured moon jellies  as I hope they would survive longer…..

Darren

I'm going to try to get my students to do upsidedown jellies this year. Supposedly you can convert over a regular tank for those, unlike most jellies that need the specialized tank. I'd love to see what you learn if you give it a try! I just definitely do not have it in the budget to get a specialized jelly tank for the school. 

9 hours ago, lowsingle said:

I caught my jellies in the Chesapeake…..I tried comb jellies (Ctenophores) and sea nettles.  The hardest part is getting the flow right.  I purchased my tank from jelliquarium.  I have a legit kriesel tank (sp?).  I hope to fire the aquarium up again when I get more time…..next time I will try the aquacultured moon jellies  as I hope they would survive longer…..

Wild caught, eh! How long did they survive in the tank? I 100% plan on doing aquacultured.

2 hours ago, MaeganWink said:

I'm going to try to get my students to do upsidedown jellies this year. Supposedly you can convert over a regular tank for those, unlike most jellies that need the specialized tank. I'd love to see what you learn if you give it a try!

I'm going to give it a shot. I believe we had a speaker many years ago talk about keeping jellyfish, but maybe I'm confusing that with the conversations I had with the Jellyfish Art team at MACNA when we hosted in DC. I've heard from several people it's very easy to get started, but keeping it going is the hardest. I think it's probably just because they need consistency for cleaning up the water in a small space? 

1 hour ago, Cris said:

Darren-i did the aquacultured moon jellies-very pretty.  I think it was my fault they didn't do better.

I think I'll go this route as well, I might even wait till spring to order them. We have not gotten any mail delivered this year, seems all the hubs are shut down at the moment, yikes! 

I have two, Isaac. They are both 2-gallons and from Jellfish Art (desktop nano). I had both running, plus was hatching baby brine shrimp for food several years back. Both tanks came to a sudden end one day when I did a water change and, unbeknownst to me, my wife had used my dedicated jelly tank maintenance buckets to mix a floor-cleaning solution. :facepalm: 

A few hours after the water change, the jellies had more-less dissolved. The tanks are fine and I never restarted the tanks (despite thinking about it off-and-on for years) and still have them on the shelf. Drop me a line or give me a call.