Waterbox 270 LX

roni

You folks and your big tanks only make me jealous when you start showing me sober of my favorite fish! 

can’t wait to see them acclimated and in the DT!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/2/2022 at 9:45 AM, Apcoleman said:

I saw that there the other week and took a hard look at it. Nice fish and will look great in there! 

Thanks, those two imperators were playing so well with each other that I briefly entertained the idea of grabbing both but that much long term bioload may be too much.

13 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

You folks and your big tanks only make me jealous when you start showing me sober of my favorite fish! 

can’t wait to see them acclimated and in the DT!

Haha, bring over some bbq and come check out the tank.  then you'll get all the benefit without the hassle.

If all goes well, I'll hopefully have a regal angel and moorish join the copperband soon downstairs.  The plan would be to continue to fatten them up and add the imperator and those three fish at the same time.  At that point I'll probably be done with big fish and other then maybe adding some anthias and other small fish, will be stocked with fish.  Right now feeding time is a little crazy.  Despite being fed 4 times per day with the plank and then 3-4 times with frozen and flake, they are constantly stalking me whenever I pass by the tank.

Also, have had crazy amounts of alk demand recently.  Have turned up the feed from the deltec and also dosed some biocalcium to get the alk up a little.  I run a little lower then most at 7 so there isn't much margin for error and I get antsy when it starts to dip below 6.

1 hour ago, epleeds said:

Brave man with that Koran. 

Brave or stupid.  Willing to take the risk on an imperator.  We'll see if I regret it :)

8 hours ago, therealdealdc said:

I have an adult Emperor in mine! Just had to have him. I try to keep him well fed, but he’ll still peck at my LPS.

Yeah, I'm definitely leery but wanted one for a long time.  I'll move the corals he decides to mess with if I have to.  Any pics of yours?  Does yours do serious damage or just nip occasionally?

You know the drill. You've assumed the risk, now you wait for the buffet! 

Nice! I love the look of big angels in reef tanks. The imperator angel is my dream fish, along with the Picasso trigger, but those dreams will have to wait until I upgrade many years from now. 

Is that one of the dwarf filefish, or a larger one? I just ordered a radial filefish for my nano. 

Edited by nburg
a word

3 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Lol.  So true.  So true.  

3 hours ago, nburg said:

Nice! I love the look of big angels in reef tanks. The imperator angel is my dream fish, along with the Picasso trigger, but those dreams will have to wait until I upgrade many years from now. 

Is that one of the dwarf filefish, or a larger one? I just ordered a radial filefish for my nano. 

I've always contemplated a pair of bluejaw or crosshatch triggers but never quite pulled the trigger haha.  

It's the larger one.  Cool fish... I've pretty much always had one in my tanks without zoas.  They do great with aiptasia and then eat zoas, the more expensive ones first

22 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Hahaha. Well worth the risk and everything looks great!

1 hour ago, Apcoleman said:

Hahaha. Well worth the risk and everything looks great!

Thank you!

Quick video showing how small he is... About 2/3 the size of the flame angel

On 3/11/2022 at 6:23 AM, roni said:

Yeah, I'm definitely leery but wanted one for a long time.  I'll move the corals he decides to mess with if I have to.  Any pics of yours?  Does yours do serious damage or just nip occasionally?

I took this screenshot from a short video I have, so it’s a little blurry. Only had home for a little over a month. So far, I’ve just seen him nip here and there, but I’ve also come back to find a Scoly flipped upside down (and he looked guilty). As long as he doesn’t touch my torches, I’m ok with the damage he may bring. 

EACE402B-1663-4AC4-9CEA-F5202619E1E3.thumb.jpeg.6ea127e40befe59a73fbba9f8b7160e9.jpeg

4 hours ago, therealdealdc said:

I took this screenshot from a short video I have, so it’s a little blurry. Only had home for a little over a month. So far, I’ve just seen him nip here and there, but I’ve also come back to find a Scoly flipped upside down (and he looked guilty). As long as he doesn’t touch my torches, I’m ok with the damage he may bring. 

EACE402B-1663-4AC4-9CEA-F5202619E1E3.thumb.jpeg.6ea127e40befe59a73fbba9f8b7160e9.jpeg

Beautiful fish and tank!  Either your tank is huge or he changed to adult colors at a smaller size?

My clowns have been exhibiting spawning behavior previously and today I caught them in the act.  My daughter is bummed that none will arriving survive but always cool to see nonetheless.

PXL_20220312_211037724.thumb.jpg.f7c4f2c63ca7f4a6f9182c927dd62a8a.jpg

On 3/12/2022 at 6:53 PM, therealdealdc said:

Thanks! He’s about 5-6 inches and tank is 6 ft across. I initially wanted to raise one from a juvenile, but I just love the adult coloration…and I got a nice deal on this fella.

Wow, definitely doesn't look huge in the pic but I'm guessing he's got some heft to him.  I love both the juvenile and adult coloration but if I had to pick, I'd love to see the juvenile colors on an adult sized specimen.

Couple new additions from poma labs. Hard to get a good pic but already sampling flake on day 1

PXL_20220315_170424730.thumb.jpg.bb4415f5ad6c8385412eb17d40ce9034.jpgPXL_20220315_170438003.thumb.jpg.80c43287c4fe47f717a4237c7cf14002.jpg

On 3/16/2022 at 12:40 PM, YHSublime said:

Awesome. Also one of my dream fish. 

On 3/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, ScooterTDI said:

Nice! I often drool over Poma's angels. Alas, they don't offer any dwarf angels...

Thanks, they are fantastic fish.   Eating flake the first day, eating everything now.  I'll probably let them free Monday when I add a couple more fish.  

PXL_20220317_012719384.thumb.jpg.0657e94d7775fa949e6305a96686a038.jpg

On 3/17/2022 at 9:38 PM, roni said:

Thanks, they are fantastic fish.   Eating flake the first day, eating everything now.  I'll probably let them free Monday when I add a couple more fish.  

PXL_20220317_012719384.thumb.jpg.0657e94d7775fa949e6305a96686a038.jpg

I absolutely love it. Can’t wait to see these two grow in your tank!

Interesting couple of days.  So, I went to pick up those fish, a pair of bluejaw triggers for the big tank and a blue tang for my kids.  

In the process of catching the fish, time dragged on and the female couldn't be found.  The person I was getting the fish from was also breaking down/moving his tank and taking rocks out to dry.  Three of us went through each rock but didn't see the bluejaw female.  Finally, I suggested we check the rocks that were out of water, not expecting anything.  Found the female, cold and not moving, lying on the grass.  Grabbed her, dropped her into water, grass and all and drove an hour plus home.  When I first put her in she dropped to the bottom of the bag.  No movement.  When I got home, a little movement but not great. Acclimated and put her in the tank and also released the blueline angels.  The powder blue immediately attacked both blue lines and was relentless.  Ignored the bluejaw male.  The female bluejaw sorta floated to the bottom of the tank and behind rock. 

The powder blue had ignored the angels in the acclimation tank and competely ignored the juvenile imperator so I was surprised by the rancor.  I turned off the light and covered the tank with blankets to diffuse aggression.  Next morning, powder blue had cornered both angels and wouldn't let them eat.  I went to tactic #2, seen below and attached a mirror to tank.

Meanwhile, day 2 I see the female out and swimming.  Some scars on her head which may heal but otherwise good.

PXL_20220323_215017113_MP.thumb.jpg.df15b13d63488b6214bfcd61ce23eadf.jpg

Meanwhile, before all these events, the carpet wandered off the rock all the way to the back left.  I think it has to do with the altered water flow from the acclimation box as it happened when I added the imperator too.  Will only use the box one more time so hopefully won't have to do this again.  Got stung again by the carpet but getting used to that.  

So after two days of attacking it's reflection, today this is how things look. 

18 minutes ago, Apcoleman said:

I absolutely love it. Can’t wait to see these two grow in your tank!

Thanks, me too!  They stay very close together

I don't know how I missed your fish saga, what a story! Glad everything worked out. 

What is that last coral in your photos? I'm digging it. 

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

I don't know how I missed your fish saga, what a story! Glad everything worked out. 

What is that last coral in your photos? I'm digging it. 

Thanks, yeah she and her mate spent today swimming laps back and forth.  Really surprising but so glad I checked and so thankful she made it.

That's bc aquaticman.  I'm not capturing the colors. It's a pale blue leading edge.   @Jon Lazar needs to come visit and take pics ;). 

I was trying my hardest to get a good pic of the green rainbow splice.... Picked up in trade.  It'll probably be a nice green mille for me but figured it was worth a shot.