An Amateur Progress in Reef Tank Photography

lynn.reef.nerd

15 hours ago, YHSublime said:

What do you think about the changes you made?

I can't seem to get the vibrancy of the coral out as much (?). The details look a lot better but the color feels dull. Maybe it's just my eyes. 

1 minute ago, arking_mark said:

Pictures look amazing.  Here's the best I can do with my phone...

20210226_101238-01.thumb.jpeg.5afb18fdfb8629fb96fd229d12a39c1e.jpeg

I found that it is super hard to take pics that are further in the tank with the phone. Most of the time i have to bring the corals as close as a i can to the front glass to take pics. 

Just now, arking_mark said:

So how are you posing the corals? Do you move them to a specific place to take the photos? Change lighting on them?

Yes, most of the time I will move the corals (if possible) to take pictures. 

1 minute ago, arking_mark said:

I'll have to find a good spot for taking photos in my tank....

I like using black frag racks that I can put the corals on and easily move it around the glass for the best lighting. 

27 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

I like using black frag racks that I can put the corals on and easily move it around the glass for the best lighting. 

I just happen to have one of those...I'll try that out.

Nice. These are all done with the Sony A7 iii DSLR with an 85B filter? Well done!

On 3/3/2021 at 11:22 AM, Origami said:

Nice. These are all done with the Sony A7 iii DSLR with an 85B filter? Well done!

Yes sir!

I finally got a decent pic of a fish!!! I did not think it would take over 200 pics to find one that is presentable. 

DSC02262.thumb.jpg.a35920d0de978310f97f82418466f205.jpg

Great photos! I agree that 85B is the best filter. I've tried a bunch. Not all orange filters are created equally!

Yes, I agree about fish as photo subjects. They're rudely uncooperative.

23 hours ago, wangspeed said:

Great photos! I agree that 85B is the best filter. I've tried a bunch. Not all orange filters are created equally!

Yes, I agree about fish as photo subjects. They're rudely uncooperative.

Thank you Warren! Just trying to get to your level! 

Is it bad that I bought two elegance corals just to get this shot? 
DSC02312.thumb.jpg.9a3198136d1c33a6f86b5d66529df7c4.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Taken many photos but none I absolutely like. Mostly just some to track my collection that is getting out of hand. 

I have to say, Lightroom is a lifesaver in getting the color to look like what I see in real life. 

DSC06960.thumb.jpg.7c72a9ff32fd269eb0cd1c86326f5c29.jpgDSC07281.thumb.jpg.ee0d35cfea5bd11050b2f875141a0079.jpgDSC07328.thumb.jpg.3ba28f4e897deaef9de5b8a07453cb5e.jpgDSC06808.thumb.jpg.8ccf3a868d261970b1ee59b8323eea66.jpgDSC06867.thumb.jpg.cffcef8c5930a10e4e2f4856ca66a684.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Lynn,

I recently started shooting with a sony set up.  Can you share your settings on ISO, Mode (A, Auto,etc) , and any more information on the set-up you are using?  Off camera flash or anything like that.  I switched from a canon set-up where I knew all my settings but now I am trying to force myself to use my Sony set-up.

• 5 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 2:11 PM, NightOwl said:

Hi Lynn,

I recently started shooting with a sony set up.  Can you share your settings on ISO, Mode (A, Auto,etc) , and any more information on the set-up you are using?  Off camera flash or anything like that.  I switched from a canon set-up where I knew all my settings but now I am trying to force myself to use my Sony set-up.

Hey! Sorry I completely forgot to answer your question! 

I'll pm you later today.