Trident Questions

YHSublime

For those of you running Trident (or if you know the answer) with the Neptune DOS, I'm wondering how's it's configured to adjust for things. Or, maybe the better question is how complicated it is to adjust for things. 

For example, I have a small tank (22 gallons plus probably about 10 gallons in the sump) a realistic 25-30 gallon water volume total. When I do water changes I do anywhere from 5-10 gallons, usually average 7. Previously, I have noticed my alk will change up to half a point on days a water change was conducted, but without any adjustments, always levels out again, usually within 24 hours.

If I were to have an Apex, Trident, and DOS, would it overcompensate for those changes? Does it matter on such a small scale? 

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

It will compensate for those changes, and you can determine how much it compensates. You set your target value, the control range, and limit. If trident reading is outside of control range it will stop trying to compensate and just dose baseline set dose. The limit controls the % change allowed for each dosing interval, so it won’t go crazy beyond what the typical dose is set tod2c139d100400bc74d9576e9200b89b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, jhOU said:

It will compensate for those changes, and you can determine how much it compensates. You set your target value, the control range, and limit. If trident reading is outside of control range it will stop trying to compensate and just dose baseline set dose. The limit controls the % change allowed for each dosing interval, so it won’t go crazy beyond what the typical dose is set to

Absolutely brilliant, and just what I was looking for, thanks for the quick response! 

12 hours ago, YHSublime said:

For those of you running Trident (or if you know the answer) with the Neptune DOS

12 hours ago, YHSublime said:

If I were to have an Apex, Trident, and DOS,

I have no Idea what any of these things are.  But I know that King Neptune carried a trident, however I don't know why he would have a reef tank being he was the King of the Sea.  :why:

2 hours ago, paul b said:

I have no Idea what any of these things are.  But I know that King Neptune carried a trident, however I don't know why he would have a reef tank being he was the King of the Sea.  :why:

Hey Paul! King Neptune sure did carry a Trident, but YHSublime didn't! 

The Trident is a testing system from Neptune can frequently test your tank water as often or as little as you'd like. The DOS is essentially a dosing pump from  Neptune that can work in tandem with the Trident (the tester) and adjust/compensate for Calcium and Alkalinity. 

Sounds like what I like to call "a waste of money".  :smokin:

I test my water once or twice a month which takes about 30 seconds being I only test alk.  Why would I test anything else?

If I spilled chicken soup in my reef I may test for chicken soup but anything else in my water is supposed to be in there. It doesn't go anywhere.  :why:

11 minutes ago, paul b said:

Sounds like what I like to call "a waste of money".  :smokin:

I test my water once or twice a month which takes about 30 seconds being I only test alk.  Why would I test anything else?

If I spilled chicken soup in my reef I may test for chicken soup but anything else in my water is supposed to be in there. It doesn't go anywhere.  :why:

Great news is, you don't have to waste your money if you don't want to! 

I've gotta' say though, I'm a bit shocked. I thought at this stage you could just gargle a little bit of your tanks water and know it's alkalinity by taste and mouthfeel?! 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was trace chicken noodle soup in your reef, Paul. Not all of us have the bumper of a 1950's Buick in our displays!  

On 2/10/2021 at 6:03 PM, YHSublime said:

Paul. Not all of us have the bumper of a 1950's Buick in our displays! 

YH, you don't have to use a Buick bumper.  I myself prefer to use Oldsmobile parts but Pontiac or Chevy are acceptable.  Just don't use Volkswagon or Toyota parts because that would be the same as using Roaphas although cheaper.  :smokin:

It is after 9:00am so now I am going down to my Man/cave fish room to gargle.  I can tell by the taste the health and mood of my fish without having to rely on some silly iron rake that Poseidon had.  (He was Neptune's first cousin twice removed. )

3 hours ago, paul b said:

YH, you don't have to use a Buick bumper.  I myself prefer to use Oldsmobile parts but Pontiac or Chevy are acceptable.  Just don't use Volkswagon or Toyota parts because that would be the same as using Roaphas although cheaper.  :smokin:

I might be able to squeeze a fender in, but I wouldn't be able to cover it all, I do only have a 22 gallon. It would probably stress my school of yellow tangs out though. 

I knew you had a tried and true technique, the rest of us who can't hear our fish whisper back are just guessing at best. 

SPOTS. Oh NNNooooooo,,,, Spots. It's horrible.

No not on my fish, don't be silly my fish are immune. I took my new Jeep to breakfast with my main squeeze and from all the snow there is ice all over my windows and the car is just full of spots. Most of them are salt and I can't just wipe it off because it will scratch and it is to cold to use the hose. image.gif.24704d2d40ccf9e3a576877eb4787f76.gif

The two fish I added last week are fine. The long nose butterfly is best friends with my copperband but the filefish seems to be a loner. He loves picking on the mulm at the sides and back of the tank. image.gif.f8ce13cac8b66bb8b8f0266664b0832a.gif

On 2/9/2021 at 8:26 PM, YHSublime said:

For those of you running Trident (or if you know the answer) with the Neptune DOS, I'm wondering how's it's configured to adjust for things. Or, maybe the better question is how complicated it is to adjust for things. 

For example, I have a small tank (22 gallons plus probably about 10 gallons in the sump) a realistic 25-30 gallon water volume total. When I do water changes I do anywhere from 5-10 gallons, usually average 7. Previously, I have noticed my alk will change up to half a point on days a water change was conducted, but without any adjustments, always levels out again, usually within 24 hours.

If I were to have an Apex, Trident, and DOS, would it overcompensate for those changes? Does it matter on such a small scale? 

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

It’s all good until the machines become self-aware. Trident = Tridnet? Just saying :)

13 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

It’s all good until the machines become self-aware. Trident = Tridnet? Just saying :)

Hey, as long as I don't have to test!

I have it for 3 months now (the Trident, not the bumper) and so far I really like it.

I will start allowing apex to control the dosing schedule in a couple of weeks.

13 hours ago, Yachaq said:

I have it for 3 months now (the Trident, not the bumper) and so far I really like it.

I will start allowing apex to control the dosing schedule in a couple of weeks.

Good to know, I'm starting to talk myself out of it again. It depends on the day.