This sump has me baffled *INTENTIONAL PUN FOR ATTENTION*

YHSublime

I'm cleaning this sump up to use with an Elos 120 I'm building out at the moment, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how it should be configured. From what I can gather, this is an Elos 1000 Sump, but it's missing some non essentially plastic bracing. 

I'm figuring if the right side in the photo is for an ATO container, then there is no other option other than to have the overflow drain into the larger left hand side portion. What's throwing me for a loop, is what is the purpose of the 3 boxes up top? They are open baffled at the bottom across all 3, but the 3rd box closest to the center has a hole connecting to the larger portion of the sump (which I'm presuming the overflow goes into? 

Heckin' confused! 

50885176737_5e6b7e5016_k.jpg

40 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Based on pics and videos I have seen online.  Of the 3 boxes in the top, left is the overflow, mid is skimmer section and right is return?  Big bottom section must be refugium.

ELOS 1000 Sump

That looks like a different sump than what I have, but that video did give me some thought. I always considered the orientation as horizontal, but perhaps there is enough rom to flip the sump vertically. Going to check right now. 

Nope, too wide.

Top left box doesn’t make sense if it’s designed to be a straight drop down from the overflow. It could either fall into the bottom left, or top right, depending on placement in the stand.

Perhaps I’m overthinking it, but I don’t think I am!

Isaac, is it just that right hand small box with the hole or does the center one have one, too. Could it be that the two right hand boxes are for filtration of some sort, with the left most box as a return? The right most compartment might be first stage refugium or equipment, overflowing into the larger compartment on the left, then entering the two smaller boxes on the top (through the holes) to pass through mechanical filters media, then under the baffles to the last stage where the return pump is located. It is an unusual configuration....

Also not the exact Elos sump you have on hand.  But it does have the 3 chambers like yours(with the bulk head holes) and may give you some more ideas.

372747425_ElosSump.png.14197388e0bbd8ad008eeba83044a9e2.png749593604_ElosSump2.thumb.png.9f314079e549daddd9942dcada11fd40.png

12 hours ago, Origami said:

Isaac, is it just that right hand small box with the hole or does the center one have one, too. Could it be that the two right hand boxes are for filtration of some sort, with the left most box as a return? The right most compartment might be first stage refugium or equipment, overflowing into the larger compartment on the left, then entering the two smaller boxes on the top (through the holes) to pass through mechanical filters media, then under the baffles to the last stage where the return pump is located. It is an unusual configuration....

There is a hole on the center box. It looks like it has a plastic cover over it with tracking down the side to insert some kind of filter maybe? The right hand compartment I think is for ATO holding, or possibly refugium as well, but the hole that is in between seems like it would be significantly higher than what the water level below (if going by those 3 small boxes efficently doing whatever they're supposed to be doing!)

It's not AS confusing if I run it with the right being ATO container, overflow drains into bottom left, filters through 2 boxes, 3rd box is the return pump. I feel like Elos could have done a lot more with the room underneath!

12 hours ago, JJKK said:

Also not the exact Elos sump you have on hand.  But it does have the 3 chambers like yours(with the bulk head holes) and may give you some more ideas.

That actually does give me some ideas, thanks! I don't plan on running an Elos skimmer like that, I feel like this package was probably plug and play prior. I'm tempted to use my Aquabox sump, but this one saves me a lot of additional room underneath that I could use for concealing equipment. 

You could always customize it if you’re not happy with it. Cut out those small sections and make better use of the space. You could either have an open sump or install your own baffles. Could keep the right for a refugium or ATO reservoir. Several years back I used Laurel glass and mirror, and their cuts were very exact. Pricing was reasonable as well. Doesn’t hurt to get a free quote if you go that route.