Anything missing from this skimmer?

Still_human

Can anyone tell me if there’s anything visually missing, or not correct about this skimmer, or does it appear to be in order? 
It has the collection cup, I just took it off, and I do see that the airline tube on the left side isn’t plugged into the nozzle at the bottom. I just don’t know if anything is supposed to go where I circled in yellow, or if they’re supposed to stay just wide open like that? I’m familiar with Somewhat similar skimmers, which I feel like definitely have what would be equivalently missing from this one.

E661149B-4002-43CA-BBAD-1A40CB6730BF.png

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
On 9/19/2020 at 11:21 PM, jason the filter freak said:

Wait a sec... @Still_human is this the skimmer we were trouble shooting like a year and a half ago???:laugh:

Lol yes it is. I FINALLY got around to cleaning it off...relatively speaking. I got everything like the tube worms off, anyway. I didn’t really have a use for it, so it fell to the way back burner, but I figure I might as well hook up a sump back up to my 2nd tank, since I won’t hafta strip them down and move them, till at least late spring, and that sump is perfect for this skimmer. It’s a bit on the large side for the tank, but as long as it works, it could make things a lot easier.

Edited by Still_human

On 9/19/2020 at 11:19 PM, jason the filter freak said:

Looks pretty much right to me as long as the riser pipe is a wedge valve

Whats a wedge valve? Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but I don’t have much experience with this type of skimmer.

The left side in the picture is the water and air input.  The top thing on the left looks like a muffler for the air input so it doesn't make a loud sucking noise.  The right side would be the water output. 

It isn't set up to be recirculating, so that output needs some kind of a valve in it to set the water level.  Normally I'd think that would go on the lower right part that you have circled with the upper right as some kind of a safety so that it wouldn't overflow through the collection cup.  It's also missing the collection cup, as Milton said.

I'd stick that thing in a tub with some vinegar and run the pump for quite a while to get it cleaner.  I think I'd also take apart the pump and make sure the needle wheel and the rotor are clean.

On 10/8/2020 at 8:58 AM, Still_human said:

Whats a wedge valve? Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but I don’t have much experience with this type of skimmer.

Sorry I had to pull my skimmer offline/out of sump to get this photo so it took me a couple of days. 

IMG_20201011_161855.jpg

IMG_20201011_161902.jpg

@Still_human basically if you pull that pipe up and out it should look pretty much like this with a wedge on it twisting the pipe opens and closes the angle between the wedge and the effluent 90 from your skimmer. 

The thing you circled on the upper left in the green is your air intake silencer there should not be anything attached to the top of that, however the bottom of that hose needs to be connected to the nipple on the intake volute on the pump (That little nipple right next to where the hose is ending now)

The thing you circled on the upper right is just the top of your effluent riser pipe. It doesn't necessarily need to have anything on it many skimmers do not. 

The open tea that you have circled in the bottom right is pretty much just the effluent / output / outflow of your skimmer and looks exactly as it should skimmer technology (of cone needle wheel type) hasn't changed a whole lot in the past 10 plus years in terms of the basics just little tiny things they fine tuned over time. See the attached image of an SCA skimmer It is generally almost the same design as the one you have.

Now get that bugger cleaned up and installed you're making me anxious.

FYI that skimmer was probably designed to run in about "6 of water +/-1-2" depth

SCA-302-2.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 10/11/2020 at 10:20 PM, jason the filter freak said:

Sorry I had to pull my skimmer offline/out of sump to get this photo so it took me a couple of days. 

IMG_20201011_161855.jpg

IMG_20201011_161902.jpg

R u serious, u went to all that trouble just to get that picture for me? That is incredibly thoughtful and outgoing, i really appreciate that!

*sorry for the delay, I have ongoing very distracting things going on, that I end up not getting around to quite a few things till much later:( I definitely want to thank you, though!

4 hours ago, Still_human said:

R u serious, u went to all that trouble just to get that picture for me? That is incredibly thoughtful and outgoing, i really appreciate that!

*sorry for the delay, I have ongoing very distracting things going on, that I end up not getting around to quite a few things till much later:( I definitely want to thank you, though!

No worries man just following along. DIY and pulling together old parts is what got me through the first 10 years of this hobby. I still do a lot of DIY and pull together used parts but now they're just a bit more expensive parts.