The Don't Tell My Main Tank That I Have A Side Tank Build

JJKK

So, more consistent feeding is the key for trachys and probably the scolys but I have seen quicker improvements with the trachys.  After a couple weeks of isolated target feeding, the trachys are inflated more.  You can see the water flow is making one one of the trachy jiggly.  Next thing I will do is to find a covering(cut of top of 2L bottle?) that I can just leave the trachys on the sand bed but still allowing to eat in peace, without the Copperband, Blue Star Leopard and other fish from stealing food when they are going through the process of eating.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's fantastic!  Good to see it doing better and I agree with the targeted feedings.  For a while I was consistent about doing this Saturday night after lights were off and my lps definitely benefited.  I need to go back to it based on how great your trachy looks!

• 4 weeks later...

Lots to learn in this hobby.  One thing that I didn't know before witnessing my Bimac anthias diving into the CSB is that it is actually a thing.  Maybe I got a clown anthias.  Here is just a pic of it chilling under the nem with the nem tentacles touching it and it doesn't bother it.

20220225_184620.thumb.jpg.27d244bc37dc9e8e4e7b8eec47798638.jpg

Had to trim the Milka Stylo.  If anyone wants one for free let me know.  Will list in SWAP or Free later this week.  Pick up near McLean.

Screenshot_20220303-210725_Photos.thumb.jpg.ada7a5ed06a6e25643a6575b17ae893b.jpg

Wild! I wonder if it builds up a slime coat as well? 

That's pretty insane. I used to freak out about how close some of my fish get to the anemones but this takes it to a new level.  I bet they slowly develop a level of immunity to stings. 

I know clownfish take a while to get accustomed to new anemones as well

Not sure if they develop a slime coat.  But when you got a insane male Evansi anthias beat on you, a little nem sting may not be as bad?

Wish I got a video of one of the Bimacs diving into the nem.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to check to see if the CSB can be split again and was trying to get it off a rock.  It was stubborn so I brought it to the fuge to see if I can blow it off the rock with a power head blasting at it.  No luck so I placed it back to the display the next morning.  All that activities made it bubbled up.

20220321_134421.thumb.jpg.1f9a3d6ecd1c737967a568531676cf7a.jpg

Meanwhile, probably need to start trimming some torches.

Wow, those torches are nice!  Let me know when you trim.  I need some of the gold with blue tips... Is that ny Knicks or something else... I'm terrible with torch names

Love to see it bubbled! Mine is still sticking to the bubble life. 

its ready to cut again. I could split the one that went through the powerhead at this stage, it’s back to the same size.

1 hour ago, roni said:

Wow, those torches are nice!  Let me know when you trim.  I need some of the gold with blue tips... Is that ny Knicks or something else... I'm terrible with torch names

Thanks.  The one you are referring to that is in front during the beginning of the video is BKChem's Garfield.  According to BKChem, it is his equivalent of an Indo Rainbow torch.  The most famous of which is ReefDreamz Dragon Tamer(Yeah... I know torch names).  BKChem follows a strict regiment to make sure that the torches and corals he sells are aqua cultured.  He goes through a couple of years to get to the final stage.  Therefore his torches are pretty hardy and full of flesh.  It is a reason why it is tough to cut a single head as the flesh covers the stems a long way.  PM me if you are interested in multiple heads.

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

Love to see it bubbled! Mine is still sticking to the bubble life. 

My bubble life was short lived.  Back to none bubbling again.

Got a quarantined Regal Angel from a reputable online seller that I've used before on March 8th.  It's been eating okay the last week or so.  Today I saw the longest white stringy poop coming out of the Regal.  It was at least 8-10" long.  That got sucked in to the Gyre and got broken up.  Then I saw another long white stringy poop hang out of him and was able to capture this video:

Do you think the fish could have gotten internal parasites from my tank?  I haven't added fish for months, prior to this Regal Angel.  I have seen it picked on rocks.  I have given him frozen clams, which I have seen him ripping off some healthy chunks.  Do you think he could of gotten internal parasites from the frozen clams?

If you haven’t QT’d everything else in your tank, then I’d say it’s possible. 

24 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

If you haven’t QT’d everything else in your tank, then I’d say it’s possible. 

Ok.  Guess I will get him to the side tank and prazipro him.

Gonna nuke the main display with PraziPro since I have seen enough fish eating the stringy white poop over the last couple of days.

I know it is reef safe.  But capturing some corals in pics in case things goes south.

20220328_194502.jpg

20220328_194703.jpg

20220328_194606.jpg

20220328_194550.jpg

20220328_194541.jpg

20220328_194518.jpg

20220328_194507.jpg

No expert here, but not in favor of treating the DT with prazi for many reasons. Not only can there be some die off that leads to an ammonia spike, there is the possibility of the medication breaking down faster and being less effective due to bacteria and biofilm breaking it down. Might work, but may be less effective.

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/having-issues-with-prazipro-treatment.5216/

Also, if there is an internal parasite it's unclear if prazi alone will take care of it. If I were in your situation, my preferred approach would be to setup a separate HT and treat in that tank. This approach does come with its own set of challenges.

My second option would  be to use API General Cure bound in medicated food with Focus. General Cure has both metro and prazi so it treats more than just worms. I've never done this, but here is some info.

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/praziquantel.25/

There are always risks involved with every approach and even "reef-safe" methods aren't always actually reef-safe. As always, do your own research and decide which path is best to take. I would definitely have lots of saltwater ready in case of an emergency. Also be prepared to aerate the water in case of a bacterial bloom that can deprive the tank of oxygen. Good luck with whatever approach you take.

13 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Going to frag anything prior? Fingers crossed!

+1

At least have some backups of your favorite pieces in your other tank

6 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Good luck with whatever approach you take.

Thanks Eric for chiming in and providing valuable input.  I don't think I can get all the fish out and treat them in a separate tank without breaking down alot of the tank.  I've been trying to catch this one Evansi that is bullying the Bimacs for weeks without success.  I would like to make sure all the fish get some kind of internal parasite treatment at this point.

I will review the links you provided to see what is the best medication path for the this tank.  Thanks.

I did not see the Regal go after the clam like he has the whole week.  Changed my mine and decided to treat Regal in the side tank with PraziPro.  Better not risk all the corals in the main tank.

Hopefully, he gets better in the side tank.  I plan to do 2 treatments of PraziPro.

20220329_214133.jpg

I did not see the Regal go after the clam like he has the whole week.  Changed my mine and decided to treat Regal in the side tank with PraziPro.  Better not risk all the corals in the main tank.

Hopefully, he gets better in the side tank.  I plan to do 2 treatments of PraziPro.

20220329_214133.thumb.jpg.f6dae836dc6b6a1f46632d4dbbb1196f.jpg

I think that’s the best call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Got some new frags in a couple of days ago.  Hoping to re-introduce the Purple Monster and Heart of the Ocean(HOTO) back around WAMAS.  Both are unfortunately slow growers.  PM in the front with the twin branches and the HOTO is the blue acro on the right of the frag rack.  HOTO is much bluer than an Oregon Tort:

20220504_113748.thumb.jpg.cf55899a28ca65eb4d59d01d79e43fb9.jpg 

Also trimmed some torches to make some room for the TSA HG.  It is the yellowish one in the front middle in this video:

Nice old school acros! Good looking stuff!

Looking great!  it's unfortunate that they are both such slow growers.  Hope yours do well.  I had a PM for about a year but never was successful longterm with it.  I've heard HOTO is something that has to be seen in person to appreciate how blue it is!

Thanks.  HOTO is a sapphire blue and is tough to photograph.  This is the best color representation I can get with my phone camera.  My Oregon Tort has slight aquamarine green to its blue body.  The HOTO is much bluer than the Oregon Tort.

20220508_162641.thumb.jpg.2546367d5b8dba6bbc11e3b43a1c6839.jpg