Dave's 93g cube

Figured I'd go ahead and contribute to the thread here. Recently acquired a 93g setup that wasn't to well kept. Had to do some pretty extensive refurbishing on it. Stripped the stand completely, repainted, new hardware, and added trim. Had to redo the sump, 29g breeder, which is to big but will suffice for now. Re-plumbed everything. Wanted to keep a minimalist aquascape relatively. Laid everything out on a cardboard footprint of the tank. Looked pretty good. Until I actually put it in the tank and filled it. Just doesn't seem like enough now lol. Will include some pics shortly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tank on. Went with the return line up over the back since tank only had two holes drilled in the over flow. I wanted to run the herbie drain over durso. Would rather it be quiet and safer over the visual of the return stemming from the overflow. Added a peice of trim to hide the black frame as well. And the tank is cycling. 5a2c622458b7875d4452a0cb174cc6dd.jpge4590cfe879f34aca1ad332247e0ea44.jpgb9b45229d27172c50c91c2684bb6c565.jpg6e600f259f4096b770056697492bb75e.jpg

Got a few more rocks in the other day. Going to be redoing the scape a bit to include some shelf rock. Might need some advice on it if anyone is willing. cdb0d2fe3939420c594baaaccfa1b0f5.jpg0a2b9a1e69126b215b85e0e16b6bf0c1.jpg1802a3e20d6f51b71119781751badeaf.jpg

Great progress. i am 93 gallon owner as well:) 
Keep us posted.~
Thanks. Curious, is your 93 a center overflow or corner? What are you doing for flow? Just trying to get a feel of how to get good flow with those awkward niches on either side of the overflow.

14 minutes ago, dryanimtt said:

Thanks. Curious, is your 93 a center overflow or corner? What are you doing for flow? Just trying to get a feel of how to get good flow with those awkward niches on either side of the overflow.

I don't have a sump version..i am using 2 mp40s (i had 1 only and had some problem with dead spots after put one more it just circulated pretty well..
. check out my thread here under my id.

Edited by moga

@moga that's a nice tank. Nice to see success comes in many different forms. Think I might go with a gyre pump on the right side of the overflow mounted vertically. Should be able to provide ample coverage.

Got the rodi system in as well. Got an under the sink type with faucet mount and tank, but I split off of it before the water polishing filter. Put a manual valve to a di resin cartridge i got from BRS. Slow as all get though I know that. Rated 75gpd but it's really not even getting that. 512e741c3e06e70f30757ae381994e8f.jpg

System coming along, and nice job on the stand!  What are your plans for stocking?

You may have low pressure going to your RODI causing it to operate less than optimally.  I ran mine for several years around 45psi (I think) and had similar results.  After installing a booster pump, the time has drastically decreased.

Yeah, running mine with about 50psi right now. Thought having the permeate pump on mine might help but not really. Will likely getting a booster pump sometime in the future when I get fed up with waiting for water. Stocking wise, trying to be mixed as possible, or whatever grows good lol. Fish have yet to be determined.

Tank and scape looks nice. It’s hard to tell from pictures, but be careful with lots of vertical height. As corals grow, the top ones will start shading areas below. Some lower light corals might be ok, but might present problems down the road.

Thanks! Yeah I did my best to watch the height. I've seen most recommendations say height shouldn't be more the half way up your tank. Which I'm right at. Tank is 24in deep and the structure is right about 12in tall.

• 3 weeks later...

About a month in and already wet! Progressing pretty quickly. Give much thought to what fish (and corals) you’ll be putting in there?

I think it looks great, you cleaned it up real nice.

I’m glad you went back and tried the aquascape again, it looks much better. I’d keep trying, personally.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it looks great, you cleaned it up real nice.

I’m glad you went back and tried the aquascape again, it looks much better. I’d keep trying, personally.
Thanks! I'm sure I could refine the scape a bit more but I think I'm just going to leave it be for now.

About a month in and already wet! Progressing pretty quickly. Give much thought to what fish (and corals) you’ll be putting in there?
Yeah kind of. Going to play it by ear mostly. I'm fairly new to saltwater but the goal is a mixed reef. Depending how good I am at it lol. It's just the sps corals I'm worried about since they are a bit more sensitive. Fish wise, I've got a yellow tang in the tank now. And I have a Scopus and powder blue tang in quarantine, and that will be it for the tang gang. Will likely put a wrasse or two in there at some point. Would like a goby and shrimp bonded pair as well. And maybe a small school of chromis. That's as far as I got really.

Update: the tank is had Cycled btw. Got the first fish in a couple weeks ago, yellow tang. Got an icecap 2k gyro pump to replace the jabao, will be getting a second 2k pump in the near future. Went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a 20g long to replace the 29g long sump since it's just too tall. Ordered a baffle kit for the new sump as well. New sump should come out pretty nice when done. 5808aaabec6a87edd0f913447f454e96.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

20g long came out pretty good. Will be swapping then out this weekend. Also, started building a equipment cabinet for a small area beside the tank. d823377da08bef791a0966016d81e9fa.jpg6b25ee056a0b57085553c0403f418e78.jpg

Got the sump swapped out, and that was a chore! But worth it. Finished building the cabinet and painting now. I plan on straightening things up once I get the cabinet in. ca74df63dcbac0c6908432533d39b250.jpg78f4d1b092dc3a8b28b97b75f24f18a8.jpg