Return pump options

dmatt56

Hi everyone!

Looking at changing my return pump. Debating between the Hydor Seltz D 1600 and Sicce Adv 7. Both have comparable flow and price. Does anyone have either? Thoughts and recommendations appreciated. Thanks!!!

I run the 1262 on my 200. I have 4 MP40’s for flow so the return is just fine. I don’t like a ton of flow through my sump

Awesome. I called Marine Depot and BRS yesterday and they tried to steer me towards the Sicce pump. I like that the hydor allows you to adjust the flow and pause.

There are a ton of opinions, it’s a shame zygote hasn’t posted. He always has an opinion. 

the biggest thing with a return pump is to always have a back up. That’s why I like the eheim 1262. They run more wattage, not controllable but less things to go wrong. 

the replacement impeller isn’t expensive and I have another pump in the fish closet in case this one dies. 

my MP40’s have a feed mode so I’m not too worried about a little flow when I’m feeding frozen. 

some people love the ecotech return pumps. When I was doing my build, they were out, but again I’m not sure I would pay $300 for a return pump when I can get two eheims for cheaper. 

I haven't run submersible pumps as my main pump in over a decade. So, I'll chime in only looking at the data sheets and give you an opinion based on projected total cost of ownership (TCO).

The Sicce Synchra ADV 7.0 pump consumes 55W and has a 5-year warranty (mfg defects / workmanship)  if you register it online. Flow rate at 6' of head pressure is about 1300 gph. The MD price is $200.

I can't find flow curves for the Hydor Seltz D.  However, the max head and max flow are comparable (in my opinion) to the Sicce, 1600-1900 gph. The spec sheet shows slightly better max flow for the Sicce but not enough that I'd base a decision on it. If I had to put a number to it, you'll probably see about 100-1200 gph out of it at 6' of head pressure. The Seltz D is consumes 65W per the specs. The MD price is $187.

The Eheim 1262 is a known performer - quiet and, in general, reliable. Max flow for the Eheim is specified at half the others are claiming (800 gph). Expect less with 6' of head pressure -probably around 400 gph. This is borne out by some old flow charts that you can find online. It consumes 80W per the datasheet. The MD price is $185.

As a rule of thumb, if a device is running 24/7/365, you can expect that the operating costs will run a little more than $1 per Watt over the course of a year. Therefore, the Eheim will cost you about $80/year to run; the Hydor about $65/year; and the Sicce about $55/year. In other words, the Sicce saves you about $10/year in operating costs over a year when compared to the Hydor. About $25/year over the Eheim. 

Another thing to consider is that these are all submersible pumps. That means any heat generated by the pump largely goes into the water, just like a heater. The Hydor and the Sicce, because of their higher flow rates, dump about 50W and 40W, respectively, so it's like have a 50W (or 40W) heater always on. The Eheim, probably closer to 70W. 

The Sicce, if you don't find any red flags posted elsewhere, is an attractive option, especially with that 5-year warranty. Most warranties are for a year. The lower operating cost quickly brings the TCO over a 5-year period down below the other two.

Hello!  Thanks for the feedback!

I’m currently running a mag 18 that runs 150w.  You mentioned the 24/7 heater comment.  Having my 180 in the basement, I wonder if I’m actually better keeping what I have to avoid having the 2-300w heaters run more. 

does the 150w heater equal the heat dissipation from a 150w pump running? 

thanks

matt

It will be slightly less by the work performed lifting the water up from the sump to the tank. That takes energy. But it's close.

I’ve found Sicce to be pretty reliable and generally efficient when compared to other pumps.  I’ve used them for return pumps, skimmer feed pump, power heads, etc.  Despite me having a sometimes neglected maintenance routine, I’ve always found them to be pretty forgiving.