Lyratails in QT

Dmb0921

I got them all through copper 3 females and the one started being the dominant one and is picking on the other 2. I isolated them in the 10 gallon QT but will this continue in my display. They are going into a 120 gallon. The one that got harassed the most is breathing a little heavy. What should I do? Any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aggressor may just be exerting it’s dominance to become a male. However, its also possible that it will be a problem. I had a bad experience with them. I had 2 females and 1 male in a 90g. They went through my QT and treatment just fine. Once in my DT the male harassed one female until it quit eating and eventually starved. I sold the male eventually. My problem now is my Bellus angel. She has cost me several different sets of anthias. I only have one Ignitus now. I don’t plan to add any more.

Right now sense it is the end of qt I put the aggressor in a acclimation box. So the one female does not get beat anymore. That one just will not come out and stays hidden.

I lost two other females when a third started transitioning over as well. 

Hopefully the captive bred ones coming out now will be more docile over time. 

Do you know when they will be out? That would be nice. I lost the one. I have the other 2 separated for now till I can get them in the display tank.

I think Capital has them.  Not sure if their naughty behavior has been bred out of them. But at least they would be used to a confined environment and agreesion within a closed system. Still have an issue of transitioning from a large group of divided agression to just a few. 

Over the years I have had similar experiences, the worst for me was a group of bartletts anthias in my 150 deep dimension tank....one terrorized all the others to death than set out to terrorize all fish smaller than him.  In all, I would say he killed 5-7 fish.  Dang I hated that fish, but I couldn’t catch him without destroying my reef. I swore them off after him.....pretty though and very active.  Good luck!

Darren

On 7/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, lowsingle said:

Over the years I have had similar experiences, the worst for me was a group of bartletts anthias in my 150 deep dimension tank....one terrorized all the others to death than set out to terrorize all fish smaller than him.  In all, I would say he killed 5-7 fish.  Dang I hated that fish, but I couldn’t catch him without destroying my reef. I swore them off after him.....pretty though and very active.  Good luck!

Darren

Fish traps work well. Just make sure to enough fishing line and you can sit back and wait. Also, tricky fish may take a couple days or more until they go in. 

I've always had luck with lyretails if I got at least 5, preferably 6 small females and let them decide who will turn male. With 3-4 females when one turns male they usually will stress the remaining 2-3 females to death. Remember there's the male and there's also a dominate female. With only 1 or 2 other females the aggression from the male and dominant female has no place to spread out. With a single female the male will eventually stress her to death. I have 6 in my 120 at the moment. Started with 6 small females and eventually one turned male. Also as a side note. Make sure when you purchase them that they have been collected from the same area. If they are from different parts of the world they never seem to accept each other in my experience.  The Indian Ocean ones on LiveAquaria that are collected off the coast of Africa/Kenya have proven more hardy for me and are my favorite color pattern.

I have three Lyretails I purchased from reef escape. The largest is transitioning to male and very little aggression.   I think it helps they were all very small when I purchased them and they were qt’d together.  If they are qt’d separate one can start to transition to male and thus more aggression.  

On 7/12/2020 at 7:18 PM, BtmDweller said:

Fish traps work well. Just make sure to enough fishing line and you can sit back and wait. Also, tricky fish may take a couple days or more until they go in. 

I’ve never used one....where were you when diablo was terrorizing my tank ?