New Avast Marine Auto Feeder

Leishman

Very interesting. Looks like I may need to modify my acrylic lid :rolleyes:

@Leishman Do you know how does the width of the mount in the rimless glass compares to the AFS? I saw some side to side pictures between the two on the link, but is difficult to compare the width glass mounts.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:29 AM, GraffitiSpotCorals said:

Really cool idea guys!  What’s the price going to be and is it quiet?

It is silent.  I believe it's $199 - it is on the site already.

17 hours ago, Yachaq said:

Very interesting. Looks like I may need to modify my acrylic lid :rolleyes:

@Leishman Do you know how does the width of the mount in the rimless glass compares to the AFS? I saw some side to side pictures between the two on the link, but is difficult to compare the width glass mounts.

It's a touch wider that 2.75" 

I am definitely interested in this..

I have a rimless aquarium with a net for a top. Any ideas on how to make it work so I can have both the net and the auto feeder attached to the tank?

31 minutes ago, Orion said:

I have a rimless aquarium with a net for a top. Any ideas on how to make it work so I can have both the net and the auto feeder attached to the tank?

I was thinking in having a cutoff on the acrylic cover frame for the mount. The auger will deliver the contents through the net.

(edited)
On 7/11/2020 at 12:49 PM, Orion said:

I have a screen top also, and interacting with this was an important design decision. The feeder body can sit on top of the frame. The food can either fall through the screen, or you can cut a hole in the screen. I’d advise the former until you are sure where you want to keep the feeder long term. I cut a hole in mine after a while.

I’ll get some pictures of screen top interaction up on the website.

Edited by ctenophore

• 1 month later...

@PupChow

I also ordered the Avast auto feeder then saw your Avast auto feeder YouTube video.  Great job.  If you are interested, I can show you how to program the GHL to dose precisely the amount of food you want at whatever times you want.  Just let me know...

18 hours ago, arking_mark said:

@PupChow

I also ordered the Avast auto feeder then saw your Avast auto feeder YouTube video.  Great job.  If you are interested, I can show you how to program the GHL to dose precisely the amount of food you want at whatever times you want.  Just let me know...

Hi Mark,

Since we don’t have a GHL unit to test on (or much experience with them) any info you provide will be greatly appreciated!

19 hours ago, arking_mark said:

@PupChow

Thank you for the offer Mark! I actually took the GHL Mini offline since, I wish I saw yours and others' offer/instruction sooner! What I ended up doing is creating a Routine with my Amazon Echo and paired it with a Kasa smart powerstrip, with this combo I was able to achieve seconds timer.  I may get back into the controller game down the road, for now I'm leaning on the good 'ol smart plugs!

Again, thank you!

Yeah. Those work great for timing jobs. The value of the controller lies in more complex automation. I have my incremental AWC down to a notification telling my to add salt and just pushing a button and it only uses one container.  

• 2 weeks later...

Set my Avast auto feeder up yesterday, and I have to say this is the best auto feeder I have ever owned. Food actually stays suspended in the water column for fish to eat it vs. floating on top. 
The only suggestion I have for @ctenophore is to mention somewhere in the instructions that the water pump can be dialed up or down as needed. I was getting a lot of micro bubbles in the tank until I found out that I could turn the pump down.