WAMAS Video chat

Steve G

I assume we're not doing club meetings these days. Would there be interest in a video chat where experienced club members (maybe a panel of veterans) answer questions from fellow members who are trying to figure stuff out and want synchronous advice rather than message boards, youtube videos, and vendor perspectives? We could do themes, like plumbing, chemistry, filtration, lighting and coral growth, stocking, vendor experiences and product reviews. Would fun to have a video chat with members all sitting near their tanks.

I think this is a good idea.

i was thinking of a format to have a group chat for members.  This I think could work. 

Certainly a way for newer members 9and seasoned ones too) to get some expert advice on reef related topics

I have a WebEx account through work that supports 1000 attendees or a personal Zoom that can do 100.  I think short-ish seminars could be fun.

That's a great idea, Jon. Any ideas how to keep the crosstalk manageable in the event that the number of participants is too large? Is there a service that has a chat box that can be used to submit questions? Maybe a moderator could read the submitted question to a panel and the panel could respond. 

The officers will hopefully meet next Tuesday evening to discuss several issues. Among them, the Summer meeting. I probably don't need to say that it's not looking good.

I am not very up with the technology, but i think Zoom is a good candidate. With an account, one can host a large group.

the Moderator idea is a good on.

I could not tell you how to do that.

where are our teckie members?

A lot of youtubers are using StreamYard. You can have people join the stream and show off their tanks if needed. Anyone can join the chat. The person hosting has control and can dictate moderators for the chat.

Zoom allows you to mute everyone, but they can unmute at will as far as I know.  If someone got disruptive they can be kicked out and prevented from rejoining.  It includes chat for questions by proxy.  BlueJeans is harder to control users on unless you have BlueJeans Events which is more of a broadcast with just chat options, but that is expensive.  Webex can work well, and has strong moderator controls as well as chat and polls and things like that.  I don’t know anything about streamyard.

My job uses zoom for everything. They use it to do staffeetings, activity groups for our DD clients, fitness classes, yoga, trainings, etc.

Zoom lets you choose your amount of privacy. You can keep mic and/or video off if you don't want to share your household's business.