My RedSea reefLED are GARBAGE! Suggestions?!?!

Still_human

I got 2 redsea reefLED fixtures, and let me just say...I have never been more upset, frustrated, and infuriated with any piece of equipment EVER!!!! First of all, what kind of nonsense is making it so that the ONLY way to use it is through WiFi and an app?!?! Nothing should EVER not have the ability to be used manually! Other than preference, it’s just plain stupid! WiFi can go out, not be strong enough, or any number of other things, which leave u with either no lighting if u have to just turn it off, or no control over it at all! I can’t get over how idiotic that was to do!!!!!! Mine, with much much much corresponding back and forth with RedSea, are the most unreliable piece of trash ever! At first the new one(I bought a used one and a new one) wouldn’t connect to the app, even tho everything was going exactly according to the instructions, and then it eventually DID, but I then had to hard reset the used one to change the settings, but then THAT one stopped appearing(I’m GREATLY abbreviating things, and leaving issues out), even after hard resetting/deleting and starting over. Once I got the WiFi extended they worked for a day, and I was able to set them up, but then they stopped showing up again, no matter what I did, but the lights were running as I wanted, so whatever, but now I need to reset it to “acclimation” and change other stuff, but now they just plain don’t show up on the app at all, even tho I had to buy, and pay monthly for a WiFi extender, JUST for these. I’m not really asking for suggestions on how to work them, they’re trash and I want nothing to do with them anymore, although if u actually know what’s wrong, I’d like to know, cause RedSea doesn’t even know, cause they can’t help. I’m asking for suggestions on other lighting. I may be done with LEDS. I said I’ll give it one more chance, and this was chance 3, and I’ve never dealt with more trash than LED fixtures In general, but If anyone knows any fixtures that don’t cost a ton, as I’ve now thrown away over a grand, that are basically perfect, that just plain do NOT have any problems, I’d b interested in hearing about them. 

I have the same issue with this light. I literally have to place my extender right near it for it to work. It will lose connection often and the light wouldn't even turn on. At least with AI, even without connection it will turn on.

Most of the time, I have to unplug and completely reset. It is a pain in the kush. Close to smashing it to pieces at times. It's a pretty good light when working though.

Yes, thankfully it DOES still remember the settings and continue working without the connections, but right now that’s part of the problem. You’re talking about Red Sea reefLEDs too?

48 minutes ago, Still_human said:

Yes, thankfully it DOES still remember the settings and continue working without the connections, but right now that’s part of the problem. You’re talking about Red Sea reefLEDs too?

Yup. I have the 90s.

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2020 at 4:44 PM, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Yup. I have the 90s.

I just emailed RedSea back and asked them if I can just send them in for a refund. I was corresponding back&forth with customer service for awhile about these, so luckily they know it’s been an ongoing problem I’ve been getting their help for, for awhile now, so I’m crossing my fingers that they’ll be willing to help me out. If not, I’m screwed, unless anyone else wants to buy them and the mounts for most of what I paid for them, or trade for them or something, but I think I have a much better chance with RedSea than I do THAT! Lol

What did u do with/about ur 90’s?

Mine loose connections from time to time but remember the settings and continue going on despite periods of lack of connectivity. This was more frequent initially but now it only occurs sporadically. Other than that I really like the lights. Hopefully RS will be able to help or provide a refund/replacement.

I have had issues with every led I have tried. I am done too. I have one over our nano that I just unplug and plug back in everyday and when it’s stops working I dunno what I will do. 

3 hours ago, Yachaq said:

Mine loose connections from time to time but remember the settings and continue going on despite periods of lack of connectivity. This was more frequent initially but now it only occurs sporadically. Other than that I really like the lights. Hopefully RS will be able to help or provide a refund/replacement.

Thanks, me too lol!  mine are the Opposite...they HAD connection only periodically, and now they never do, even with the WiFi extender I got just for them, which is less than 10ft from them. They’re still on and running, but I need to change them cause While before they were just upsetting my corals, they finally seem to have begun burning them, but Of course now I can’t do anything about it, cause they won’t register on reefbeat anymore.

(edited)
1 hour ago, GraffitiSpotCorals said:

I have had issues with every led I have tried. I am done too. I have one over our nano that I just unplug and plug back in everyday and when it’s stops working I dunno what I will do. 

I keep saying I’m done with LEDs, but it’s just not fair! I dont want to go back to overheating my room, and paying like $200+ a year to replace the bulbs! I just want to be able to get a successful fixture like most people do lol! And most people don’t have to buy 3 fixtures and counting! 4, if I want to try again!

Edited by Still_human

14 hours ago, Still_human said:

Thanks, me too lol!  mine are the Opposite...they HAD connection only periodically, and now they never do, even with the WiFi extender I got just for them, which is less than 10ft from them. They’re still on and running, but I need to change them cause While before they were just upsetting my corals, they finally seem to have begun burning them, but Of course now I can’t do anything about it, cause they won’t register on reefbeat anymore.

What strength are your LEDs set to? I am currently running them at 60%. When running at 90% the lowest PAR I would get at the bottom was way above 100.