Fish in overflow

yagerboy

I have a blue/gren chromis that jumped into one of my corner overflows.  I'm making a diy trap out of a water bottle now but leaving town in the morning.

Any body have any ideas or past success getting a fish out of an overflow?

21 minutes ago, wildcrazyjoker81 said:

Pull the drain pipe out of the bulkhead and let it take a ride down to the sump. If you listen closely you can hear it go WEEEEEEEEE!!! in excitement :clap:

lol!

when mine went into the overflow, I used a small and a larger net and net the fish out.

Had a new brand new picasso clown get in mine two days ago - turned the tank lights out and put a light (iPhone light)  on the glass against the overflow with a net already in position.  It swam to the light and we were able to lift the net up under it.

The standpipes will make it difficult to catch it.  If you are able to remove it/them without disturbing the bulkhead, that would be the best way.  I’d then siphon/drain the water into the sump or some buckets until there’s 3 or less inches of water.  This would make netting your fish much easier if it hasn’t Madeira way to the sump.

Just be careful to not put to much stress on the bulkheads or you may spring a leak.

Take your time, the fish will be fine.  I've had an orchid dottyback in the external part of my overflow for something like three months.  Every time I try to catch him, he darts from the external box through the bulkhead into the internal box where it's impossible to reach. 

Apparently the dottyback likes his personal ~3 gallon nano/overflow box over a 350 gallon community tank.

Try getting a fish out of the space under the floor of the chambers in an Aquapod. Why there is even a space under there, is beyond my comprehension.