Schreiba's ADA 60P

Water change day!  Tank looks nice and clean especially with the bottom glass cleaned up.  Unfortunately the purple torch was lost this week to brown jelly.  Luckily it didn't spread to anything else.  The rock on the right hand side is officially zoas/palys only now which I did add a couple more recently.

50989543543_38286ba934_o.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on the two leathers. The tyree toadstool is doing great! Also recently picked up a long polyp toadstool. It’s small now but the polyps are already extending even further than when I took the picture. 

50989543223_b2dc5faced_5k.jpg

50990246446_3ee90f6ad4_5k.jpg

New FTS! I pushed the two islands together for a little different look. Upper left floating island is lower than normal because the anacropora lost its color so I was trying to lower it for awhile to color back up again. Let me know what you think!

50990354312_1aac5b8c1a_5k.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Love the scape adjustment. This tank looks so much bigger than I really is...

Any issues/concerns with the light hanger? I’m considering this pipe for the new build but wasn’t sure how it would do.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:22 PM, mattm said:

Love the scape adjustment. This tank looks so much bigger than I really is...

Any issues/concerns with the light hanger? I’m considering this pipe for the new build but wasn’t sure how it would do.

Thanks!! And the only issue is it sags a tiny bit. So if you’re a perfectionist it doesn’t look totally level. I’m sure you could shim it from the mounting point to stop this if it bothered you though. 

On 4/1/2021 at 2:18 AM, DaJMasta said:

It really does have a sense of being large, neat tank and really excellent pictures!

Appreciate it!

On 4/1/2021 at 8:49 AM, YHSublime said:

Looking good

Thanks!!

Also, I ended up adding sand... I was tired of having to try and clean the bottom because it always looked terrible. All has been well since adding the sand so fingers crossed!

Thanks!!

Also, I ended up adding sand... I was tired of having to try and clean the bottom because it always looked terrible. All has been well since adding the sand so fingers crossed!

Thanks for the feedback. I prefer sand to BB as well. Look forward to more updates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

New FTS's!  Crazy I haven't posted one with sand yet.  Also, I know the UV sterilizer really takes away from the minimalist look (especially with the cord in the tank...) but the water clarity and sand cleanliness benefits have just been so great that I'm not willing to take it out.  Let me know what you guys think!

51668174206_15045e57da_o.jpg

51668416043_0f44ecdb23_o.jpg

Looking good, I don't think the cord really adds too much of a distraction, especially if it's doing the job it's supposed to be. Bare bottom took me ages to get past the ugly phase, it's not for everybody. My new nano is developing astounding amounts of coraline very early in it's inception, where as it's taken almost 5 years in my DT. 

I personally am still a bare bottom kinda reefer, but the sand always looks more natural. 

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Looking good, I don't think the cord really adds too much of a distraction, especially if it's doing the job it's supposed to be. Bare bottom took me ages to get past the ugly phase, it's not for everybody. My new nano is developing astounding amounts of coraline very early in it's inception, where as it's taken almost 5 years in my DT. 

I personally am still a bare bottom kinda reefer, but the sand always looks more natural. 

Thanks appreciate the feedback! And yeah it was the cleaning and looking ugly that really killed it for me. Luckily the sand is much easier to clean just as part of a water change. 

Looks phenemonal!  I think having the back clean is probably more important to keeping that minimalistic look then a couple of wires and I personally believe so strongly in UV for a variety of the reasons that it would be hard not to run a tank without...

3 hours ago, roni said:

Looks phenemonal!  I think having the back clean is probably more important to keeping that minimalistic look then a couple of wires and I personally believe so strongly in UV for a variety of the reasons that it would be hard not to run a tank without...

Thanks! And yeah agree… that corner has just become the equipment corner. In hindsight I probably should have just gone with a peninsula AIO. 

Also completely agree on the UV. I never considered it a must have in prior tanks but it seemed to solve a lottttt of problems for me in this tank. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2021 at 8:50 AM, moga said:

wow very pretty tank!!

Thank you! 

Things are continuing to grow! Also I ended up ditching the sumpless overflow. It really wasn’t skimming at all and then the internal pump failed causing the entire ATO not to work. Luckily I caught it and replaced it with a standalone surface skimmer with some floss and carbon inside. That is working very well so far and it all takes up less space cutting down on the amount of equipment in the tank. 

What surface skimmer? The sensor on my XP aqua sumpless failed but XP replaced it because it was within a year. Definitely agree it doesn’t skim though, so considering some sort of a hang on back skimmer. Thanks and great thank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Alex Simpson said:

What surface skimmer? The sensor on my XP aqua sumpless failed but XP replaced it because it was within a year. Definitely agree it doesn’t skim though, so considering some sort of a hang on back skimmer. Thanks and great thank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the black box in the pictures. It had a small pump in the bottom that would draw water in through the teeth just like an overflow box. It just never really worked very well. Instead of a HOB skimmer, I have a small in tank surface skimmer since generally I think the skimmers for nano tanks don’t work very well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 1:21 PM, roni said:

How are things going?  Would love to see an update!

Going very well! Small equipment failures but luckily I’ve caught them all quickly. The wet side of the MP10 started getting really loud and I found the ceramic sleeve had broken. Luckily I had a backup pump I use for water change mixing that I could throw in until the replacement wet side came. I noticed the corals seemed to like the higher flow so I even turned up MP10 a bit.  Then the ATO would keep filling up to the top sensor instead of the bottom. So I ended up replacing that with a new unit that seems to be working now. 

I’ll try and take some pictures soon as I think there’s definitely some noticeable growth on most of the SPS now! 

• 2 weeks later...
IMG_0036

New FTS!  You can really see the growth on nearly all of the SPS compared to the last FTS in November.  Also I think it looks better without the big overflow box that really wasn't doing anything.  Zoas are growing some but not nearly as fast as the SPS.  I know they're not the most difficult of SPS, but it is still exciting to see this much growth in a 17 gallon tank with no sump/skimmer.  At this point, all I'm doing is feeding some pellets once per day, changing out the floss in the surface skimmer & UV filter about once a week, and doing a 5 gallon WC every 1-2 weeks.  Also, the GSP is moved down lower in order to allow the hermits to eat all the GHA off it.  When it is up high they can't get to it and the snails don't do much.  Once it's nearly overgrown, I'll move it back up.

Let me know what you think!

Nice shot!  There's definitely something to these clear-backed tanks....

Also, I don't know why the dwarf ceriths insist on spending like a quarter of their time up above the waterline, but they certainly do...

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Nice and clean. Love it.

Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, DaJMasta said:

Nice shot!  There's definitely something to these clear-backed tanks....

Also, I don't know why the dwarf ceriths insist on spending like a quarter of their time up above the waterline, but they certainly do...

Thanks! And yeah one day I’d love to have like a 5-6 foot peninsula tank as a room divider that you look through. One can dream…

And the snails seriously do. I run a top normally that I just take off for the pictures so at least they can’t escape. 

Looking good, definitely a clean look!  I hear you on the snails.  Got a few nerites from ipsf and found one on the cabinet headed towards the carpet!