Pat_13

Well now that you broke confidentiality it's just an A meeting... :cheers:

Hi all i am Garyl and i am Anonymous!

oh wait.........

everyone please., all togehter..

HI GARY anonymous

LOL..

now backto the subject.

I joined two years ago after going on my own for almost 4 years. and will say that I have learned so much in these last two years that I wonder why didn't I joined earlier. There is so much knowledge, experience, and growth opportunities in this club that will greatly benefit any member who wants to join and participate. $20 membership for one year is nothing compared to the amount of information you can get in return. You pay more than that for one month of internet access, and more than that in one shop at any LFS. With the $20 WAMAS membership you get 10% discounts in many of the LFS and some internet stores, and also 20% discount at F&F (just to mention few). So regardless of who you meet and who you relate too.. you can maintain anonymous to the rest of the WAMAS crowd and still get advantage of all the benefits mentioned above for $20 a year... if after the first year you consider is not worht it, you can always terminate your membership.

Hope you make a good decision, one that is at par with your interests.

Jacob

BTW, this thread was started to find the answer to why it was closed and moved. It was done after I posted and even offered to host at my house with no explanation.

Thanks for all your replies and stories, it sounds like there are some nice people in this group. I am trying to meet members of this club. I have joined as a BB member to see if this would be a good fit. I posted requesting a cup of sand a few weeks back to seed my new tank and only received one offer, but he was over an hour away.

This is just my perception of the group, which might be wrong. It appeared to me that most of you were in NOVA and now it looks like there are some more in DC and MD.

Ok, I have the answer I was looking for: It was moved because of personal phone and address information. In the past I have just used PMs to communicate this information securely. My thinking was the more contributions the better the mix. I understand the policy of sale items and group buys but I thought this was different. I thought everyone would bring something to contribute thus no free rides. The only benefit I would see is I would not have 20 lbs of fish food in my freezer!

I have joined other groups (not marine) and have felt like I do not fit in, do not participate and feel like I have wasted my money. Like I said, if it is not a good fit I will not join, nothing against your club or its members however nice they may be. I have not been discouraged to join by this event.

Howard -> Secrets? Special formulas! Oh now I have to join. No, I was the one asking all the questions, but next time you can pay me to talk to you if you need :lol2:

I am in Md and very far from most of the events but I contnue to pay dues because I think this club is great. I dont know and havent met most of the members but I still chime in and get the help I need when I post. In fact I just sold my sps coral and had a way better turn out from WAMAS than my local club, as far as selling my corals. I think only a couple from my local club came through but many made the trip from this club. I think you cant go wrong with joining.

This is just my perception of the group, which might be wrong. It appeared to me that most of you were in NOVA and now it looks like there are some more in DC and MD

That's correct, it's really a "beltway" club - some 90% (estimate) members are from in & around the beltway. CMAS is Balt/Annapolis based club.

I can sympathize with you to an extent, though I urge you to give it a 2nd chance (or see if CMAS is a better fit geographically).

I go back a fair bit in this club, when I joined it was just beyond the "guys in a garage"(I think a "massive" turnout @ a meeting was 30 people). My first meeting was a disaster. Among other things they did absolutely nothing to welcome/introduce new members - it was really bad. Give you an idea - didn't even have name tags so if you were meeting someone for a trade = good luck finding them :lol: The whole meeting was an adhoc cluster ****. I had met a few members through sales & trades & decided to stick it out = well worth it. Turns out it was just growing pains & things got better, much better.

Another tidbit - the only way to make an organization better is from the inside ;)

BTW, this thread was started to find the answer to why it was closed and moved. It was done after I posted and even offered to host at my house with no explanation.

I posted that it should be in the members section.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9305

This had nothing to do with you hosting, The thread starter is relatively new and he posted it in the wrong forum.

Just following the rules of the club.

I hate to interrupt hte love-fest but there are some things that you might notice and have to work through to not get discouraged.

1. You posted for sand and got little or no reply. That does happen by luck of hte draw that you post for help or advice and the timing is such that it goes unnoticed or unheeded. Usually it's because traffic is low (summertime) or someone else happens to be breaking down their three tanks and giving away all the parts and livestock, which always starts a stampede of frugal reefers.

2. You see meetings are never near you. It feels like the cool kids are hanging out far away from you, in towns you have never heard of in Virginia. Well, they have been trying to set stuff up in MD and DC and I appreciate that. There was a social at the Zoo in DC. Tank tours in Montgomery County. They're trying.

3. You get flamed on the board. It's rare. We're more intimate and therefore more friendly than, say, Reef Central, but it happens. But if you want to put two tangs in a nano, you'll probably hear it from people.

4. You can't relate to people in the club. The more active members know each other so well that they have private jokes or inside humor that can be hard to follow (Howard of NoVA? Deer hunting?) DOn't be put off by that. It's a much larger group than it seems on the board. Most members find some "buddies" that they can relate to more easily or who keep similar tanks or have similiar philosophies, live nearby, have personal things in common (kids the same age, other hobbies) or just had a good interaction with (drilled a tank, shared some frags, went int with you on a group buy).

I have met people who are in this region and in this hobby and do not belong to WAMAS. That's fine too. No pressure. Good luck with your reef keeping.

Steve G

I posted that it should be in the members section.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9305

This had nothing to do with you hosting, The thread starter is relatively new and he posted it in the wrong forum.

Just following the rules of the club.

OK, rocko918 you stated that it should be in the member

As you stated in the about post, it is a "GROUP" activity and BB members are not part of the quote on quote group. That is why it was removed and moved to a group forum.

Guest Rileyporter

Doesn't sound to me like the problem has anything at all to do with $20!

Simple problems should just be handled simply. It sounds to me like the question should simply have been put to the organization, "what happened?", not a scathing reaction. There is probably a simple, reasonable and inoffensive explanation.

Many of us, also, do a lot of personal research and experimentation on our own watches and on our own nickels. We have individually discovered a lot of useful things about the hobby. We have also learned a lot jointly and from each other. I haven't encountered anyone who isn't willing to share out knowlege, nor have I found anyone who is too smug to accept information, even if it may be redundant with what is already known by the recipient. I've not seen a single untoward remark made by anyone about anyone on this board by members or by non-members. In fact, I've seen nothing but kindness and supportive behavior. Fine bunch, all.

If you want to participate then do so. You will be welcomed. If you don't want to then don't. That's OK too. It is that simple. Even if you don't join you will be still be granted permissions as a guest. Nice bunch here.

fab

The MD Crowd is growing too! Scott.. rsadavera... elmyer... ME.... we are all withing 10 - 15 miles of eachother... those are just the guys I have met.

Howard -> Secrets? Special formulas! Oh now I have to join. No, I was the one asking all the questions, but next time you can pay me to talk to you if you need

OH YEAH! Will you take cash or do I need to give you my pin number for my credit cards? :wink:

Hurry up and join Pat, I want to vote for you on our next PR Mgr position opens up! How someone can get so much air time for a simple question is beyond me??? :eek:

Let me just ad to the crazy love fest that is going on.

We are a good bunch of guys and gals. There is a quite varied group here, from our Deer Hunter guy (Howard) to the flowerseller (Chip and that's an occupation not just a name) to Financial People, I know of at least 2 lawyers, many students (high school and above), teachers, you name it it's probably here.

There are many subgroups within the large group, some based on location (Those I have helped are typically close, but not always, but I always try to find time to talk to them), some based on other extra curricular activites (soccer, football, poker, kids), some based on types of tanks (SPS users tends to hang toegether, the zooanthid freeks as well).

I understand the hesitant, especially if you have not been sucessful at fitting in with other groups. So let me (as doug said as well) say, come as our guest to the food making party and see if you like it.

Dave

BTW Pat, if you come to the food things I'm sure we can make sure there is some LS there for you :)

Dave

The MD Crowd is growing too! Scott.. rsadavera... elmyer... ME.... we are all withing 10 - 15 miles of eachother... those are just the guys I have met.

and MEEE! :-D

HI........i think the majority is beltway people.....but it didnt turn me away....just for the simple fact the club's knowledge has helped alot....and we have that guy out in CATHARPIN,VA :wink: .....who sells us good quality stuff!

Bryan

Guest Larry-T

We're adding both members and vendors (check out Scales) in Maryland. I would stay in the club even if I decided to shut down my saltwater tanks and go to strictly freshwater. It's worth $20 to me to attend the quarterly meetings and touch base with people with whom I share an interest in topics relating to marine life and husbandry (even those with whom I disagree).

It's worth $20 to me to attend the quarterly meetings and touch base with people with whom I share an interest in topics relating to marine life and husbandry (even those with whom I disagree).

I resemble that remark! (that's one of those inside joke things, but if you check out the conservation threads Pat you will see what I mean.) :biggrin:

Pat,

After the General Discussion forum, the Members Only For Sale/Trade forum is the 2nd active forum with 2,444 topics and over 12,122 replies. (as of righ now)

I have saved hundreds of dollars on used or slightly used equipment and also sold lots of stuff leftover from upgrades. It's well worth the $20.

Like everyone already said, it's really the members that make this club so great. And we have an amazing group here.

-- Rob

Maybe we should have a way for us to scrutenize the new poster before we allow them to join.

Kinda like a trial period to see if they're a good fit with us.

I just wasted more than 20.00 bucks of my own company time following this stupidity.

Pat appears to be old enough to make grown-up decisions and going by the title he chose for this thread, it appears that he has done so.

Pat,

I respect your decision and wish you the best of luck in finding a more suitable fit elsewhere. Drop in sometime and let us know how you are doing.

~Bob

Ok I think there is enough support to see this is a good club and worth the money. The question that was asked was answered and its time to put this one to sleep.

Pat - we all hope you join, if not no worries.

Enjoy!