DC Pumps

sethsolomon

Hey Everyone!

So with setting up my new 150g I have been struggling with deciding what pump/s to get for my return pump.   In the past all I have used for DC return pumps were the Reef Octopus VAROS pumps.  I am wondering what everyone else has been running for return pumps and what their experiences have been with them.

I use the Ecotech ones. Its really good, strong flow and easy to control with the app. BUTTT you have to really keep it clean and maintain it well. 

If you're thinking about a used Vectra, make sure you get a version 2.  The version 1 pumps have a design problem with too little water flow around the impeller.  They can overheat to the point where the plastic melts, which creates buildups that make the impeller stall.

I've got two L1s and I like them, apart from melting on me.  They're very quiet.

Edited by Jon Lazar

I was running a DCT12000 on the 300DD and the only issue I had was a controller fail. I had a spare and never had any issues after. Im running the newer DCP pumps now on the temp setup and like the flexibility to have more control over the flow. Its hard to beat the price on the Jebao and you could buy multiples for the price of one Reef Octopus 

I've been running a CurrentUSA eFLux 6010 on my 65g since April.

• Been running like a champ (even despite the fact that I haven't cleaned it yet).
  • About as silent as can be (I sit 4' away from it while watching TV. And even with the cabinet doors open, I can't hear it running.)
  • And power dial makes fine tuning my bean animal set-up a snap.

Doing a new tank and going with a vectra L2. However I been using a Jebao DC12000 on my 180 for years and it has been stellar. Quiet and reliable. Only reason I’m going with the vectra is I want web interface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks again for the responses.  I think I am going to probably go with a Jebao DCP 10000 for my 150g.   I can get 3 for the price of most other pumps and have an extra as a backup in case one dies.