Greg's 120 Gallon Mixed Reef

Thanks Roni and YHSublime.

Roni-- I read a bunch of threads where people used it and it did great- that's why I thought I could as well.  I will say-- it worked to take care of an out of control bubble algae problem.   But it pissed off many of the corals- loss of color, bleaching at base of acros, montis receding/bleaching on all margins-- and polyp bail-out of the elegance.  I had 2 elegances and the small one did ok with it but the bigger one receded/stayed closed for days after each dose and then eventually-- the polyp just pulled away from the skeleton completely.  Real bummer-- the elegance I lost was a yellow-tip that was amazing.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Updates on my tank—November 2021. First a full-tank-shot.

51659098291_4ee30c6d18_z.jpgIMG_0089 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

I had ordered an azure damselfish (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) from a LFS near me but they actually gave me a sapphire damsel (Pomacentrus pavo).  As most of you probably already guessed—the sapphire did not play well with the other fish in the tank.

So I first tried a home-made bottle trap- that worked to get him in but he was able to get back out whenever I came near the tank and if I made the opening small enough for him to be stuck- he wouldn’t go in it. 

51659955805_7eb84e99c2_z.jpgIMG_9946 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

So after 2 weeks-  I found where some one used a critter keeper as a fish trap.  I had one that I was going to use as an acclimation box in the tank—so I gave it a try.  I did have to weigh down the door.   After only 2 hours in the tank—success!!!

51658270627_6bbdaf3c66_z.jpg65662766952__99711C3A-FD78-48A6-A261-2365BAE0356A by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

Here is with the door weighed down.

51658270982_d11202a634_z.jpg65663168463__72B21482-7EE7-4420-AA81-6EED14F3E45A by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

So I brought him back to the store and they already had a quarantined azure damsel waiting for me.  I also picked up a McCoskers (mine carpet surfed even though the tank is fully covered (I guess during a feeding when I took the top off), a new yellow watchman goby (I lost mine – not sure why 2 months ago) and a sailfin blenny.   Here is a picture of the fish trap being used as an acclimation box.  After 2 days— every one was released into the tank and all are getting along well.

51659079631_94de77371e_z.jpgIMG_9971 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

Here is a pic of the new azure – love his colors.

51659092221_6874f32198_z.jpgIMG_0007 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

Here is every one getting along and enjoying Nori clip. 

51659973865_dba3e7966f_z.jpgIMG_0081 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

I had what I bought as a peppermint candycane (Caulastrea) that I am convinced is not.  Best I can figure is that it is a lobo in disguise.  I had a nice colony of regular pale green caulastrea next to a newer colony of neon green/kryptonite ones.  All was going great – then I added this peppermint next to them for contrast and it wiped out half of the adjacent ones in just a few days.  I didn’t believe it was to blame until I checked at night and sure enough- it had 1-1.5 inch sweepers out and stinging the now dead parts of the neighbor caulastrea.  I have never had them battle before.  Any one else ever have this problem?

This is the pic of the offending peppermint and you can see the dead skeletons to the left that it killed off.

51659759434_cccd30e01c_z.jpgIMG_9867 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

I also decided to make this a true mixed reef tank and am trying new species I haven’t been comfortable with before.    
My derasa continues to noticeably grow and new sailfin/algae blenny.  Amazed at the consistent growth on the derasa. 

51659366708_6f6bc11edb_z.jpgIMG_0080 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

I added a tiger-tail sea cucumber (Holothuria thomasi) that is about 7 inches long and is keeping my sand bed very clean.  It has been in the system for about 5 weeks now. 

51659308558_735ec4b533_z.jpgIMG_9925 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

51659971260_519694a9e9_z.jpgIMG_0039 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

But I did banish the last of my hermit crabs to the sump because I am sick of their rampant snail killing. 

And here are some other pictures to enjoy—

Another FTS-

51658287617_cff88b4e77_z.jpgIMG_0062 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

And just a side pic that I like that shows some of the SPS colonies.

51659094836_9955efdf96_z.jpgIMG_0069 by Greg Lorenz, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Greg

Wow, everything seems to be doing really well! Love to see it! If that is a lobo in disguise, those lobos and similar coral will throw out crazy tentacles at night. Glad to see the clam growing, and that's the largest sea slug I've seen in a while. 

Things are looking really nice, thanks for the update!

• 2 weeks later...

Skimmer is making a weird noise.  Because it is a hassle to get out of the sump-- I haven't done anything except clean the collection cup and the top of the neck.  So today I broke it down and got it out for a vinegar bath.

This is embarrassing- it has been 2 years since this was cleaned.

IMG_0370.jpg.d335438a1272d2b86a0d68ce809ac8a1.jpg

We've all been there. I put regular tasks into aquaticlog because otherwise it's only when something breaks that I actually fix it.

BTW, long thread on r2r asserting that vibrant has fluconizole as part of the formulation, which would explain why it is both effective and occasionally devastating in our systems

On 11/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, VA Reefdog said:

Skimmer is making a weird noise.  Because it is a hassle to get out of the sump-- I haven't done anything except clean the collection cup and the top of the neck.  So today I broke it down and got it out for a vinegar bath.

This is embarrassing- it has been 2 years since this was cleaned.

Yeah, but now you can expect peak performance. My skimmer gets real loud sucking for air when it gets like that. Being in my office, it gets attention when it starts making noise, lol. 

I am amazed at how bad the skimmer had gotten and I had just gradually gotten used to it.  It is a DC pump- so I had to turn the pump velocity way up before but I am using about 1/3 of power after cleaning it.  Also it is almost silent now.

I am embarrassed I didn't address it sooner---  Roni - I  think I will use a reminder app to do this again in 6 mos.

I pulled 3 small limpet shells, some filter floss material and lots of random gunk out of the impeller and pinwheel.  No wonder it was loud and had to be turned way up.

I had also heard/read on a couple of forums and podcasts about turning off the skimmer for couple hours at night and not running 24/7.  So I am going to try 2-3 hours off each night and see how that goes.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is your 6 month reminder to clean your skimmer out!

Been a very busy time with work and haven't really been doing much with the tank.  I am lucky to clean the skimmer cup let alone the skimmer body/pump.

Things have been coasting.  I have just been letting the colonies grow into each other.  I have a tendency to overload a new tank with lots of small frags because I want it full quickly.  But this tank is maturing and I am just letting colonies take over.  I have sold or traded out some corals that were not competing as well and I have started a new tank that I moved some corals to.

So here are the updates:

120 gallon--- I seem to have an infection or pest that is slowly going after some LPS--  I lost 1 large duncan colony (probably 30 head or more) with slow recession and closed mouths.  Then lost a few heads of frogspawn and 1 goniopora.  The rest seem ok so I am just monitoring for now.  Here is the updated pics.

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

New livestock-  ochre striped cardinal.  I am a big fan of the large eye and just a different fish than I have had before.

You can see the derasa clam is gotten huge.    Notice the very happy red goni from Thakki to the left.

IMG_0634.jpg

Here's another newer addition-- been with me for about 6 mos now.  She is eating great and gets along with every one.  I don't think she actually cares about any of the other fish.

IMG_0532.jpg

(edited)

And the exciting new news!!!   I had never tried anemones before this tank (I have 3 rock flowers in this one).  I really wanted to try RBTA's but didn't want to risk them moving around in my mixed reef tank so I decided it was a great excuse for a new tank.  I am doing much more movement in this tank.  I trade a frag pack to some one for an old biocube 32.  I decided I didn't like the lights so I gutted the hood and mounted a vivaspectra on the top and now I have new nem tank.

Started it Feb 2022 and it has filled out very well.

Obviously I moved my clowns from the 120 to the new nem tank.

First pic is start of the new biocube.

Second is the modified light.

3rd pic is what it looked like after a month or so

Last pic is from last weekend

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

Edited by VA Reefdog

And the clowns are hosting the nems!!!

I have 3 rainbow RBTA (one already split) and 2 rose RBTA that decided to situate themselves facing the back of the tank-- so I can't see either of the rose RBTA at all.  

Not a single one has liked where I put them to start.  But none have moved over the last month so I think I am good.

Here are some more pics livestock includes xenia-- red and silver, a variety of softies pilfered from the 120, some torches and shrooms and random stuff I traded for.

here some more pics.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

• 5 months later...

About the 3 yr anniversary for the 120.  Things are doing well but wish I never added the fireworks clove polyps-- they took over a whole rock on the right side and are stinging some nearby acros.

Otherwise-- things are going well.  Moved the perc clowns back into this tank because they were ignoring the BTA's in the 32 cube and put some spotcinctus clowns in the cube.  Added a PJ cardinal and chalk bass to the 120.  Everybody seems to be getting along fish-wise.  Corals are doing some fighting and overgrowing.   Had something take out my pink lemonade colony-- entire thing bleached then died in about 48 hour but rest of acros are doing ok- so not sure what that was about. I am letting things coast and just enjoying.   Here's a few pics.

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

(edited)

Here is a few of the 32 cube-- that is just shy of the 1 yr mark.  I think I have an over-feeding problem-- please don't comment on the bellies on the damsel/cleaner goby and coral beauty-- they just ate.  This is a low maintence tank aside from pruning and tossing xenia on a routine basis.  2 clowns, coral beauty, hawkfish, talbet damsel and cleaner goby.  

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

Edited by VA Reefdog
added fish