Paint color for wall behind a tank

SixtyFeetUnder

I’m finishing my basement and planning for a large tank with a white stand. The floors and walls both will have a nuetral tan to light brown feel - until my wife bought a couch and is deciding she wants an accent wall in navy blue that includes behind where the tank will be.

Does anyone have positive or negative experience with a dark color behind their reef? Mine have always been on light walls but I’m guessing with a white stand it may look good. But still not sure... give me your thoughts or experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wall behind my tank is “Gotham Grey” but the back of my glass is painted black anyway. I feel like the tank looks better that way but that’s just my opinion.

I always have the back of my tank covered in black film. The wall behind my tank doesn’t really matter in my opinion cause when I’m looking at the tank everything else kinda fades away. 

The wall behind my tank is “Gotham Grey” but the back of my glass is painted black anyway. I feel like the tank looks better that way but that’s just my opinion.

You have a picture you can post or send me?

I have about 10 inch or so gap behind my tank. Enough to clean behind it. Salt splash has been minimal and easy to wipe. I love the blue/navy blue. The rest of my basement has white walls. It’s a nice accent wall.

8f7556fe54de3888309a1783b8b70de3.jpg

I think dark colors behind the tank looks awesome!

Something to think about.... I recently watched one of the BRS360 videos where they were talking with one of the founding members of the San Diego reefing club.  He talked about removing a tank that had been up for 10+ years, and the drywall behind it being just ruined.  

I am thinking about putting some paintable removable vinyl wallpaper behind my tank(s) to try to minimize the damage from the evaporating salt water.  I'm also thinking about putting some clear acrylic above my tank on the ceiling for the same reason (I have popcorn ceilings, otherwise I'd just put the wallpaper up there too).  I was looking at some on Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/Livelynine-Removable-Wallpaper-Countertop-Paintable/dp/B07QK61SZG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=removable+wallpaper+paintable&qid=1572021899&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A2400711011&rnid=2400708011&s=hi&sr=1-1) that you can paint as well to match the wall while protecting it at the same time.  

The only place I've had damage is directly behind the sump where my skimmer was.  After 8 years the latex paint was bubbling off the drywall in a 1 square foot patch.  I scraped off the old paint, lightly sanded, and repainted.  The drywall underneath was fine.

I think dark colors behind the tank looks awesome!

Something to think about.... I recently watched one of the BRS360 videos where they were talking with one of the founding members of the San Diego reefing club.  He talked about removing a tank that had been up for 10+ years, and the drywall behind it being just ruined.  

I am thinking about putting some paintable removable vinyl wallpaper behind my tank(s) to try to minimize the damage from the evaporating salt water.  I'm also thinking about putting some clear acrylic above my tank on the ceiling for the same reason (I have popcorn ceilings, otherwise I'd just put the wallpaper up there too).  I was looking at some on Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/Livelynine-Removable-Wallpaper-Countertop-Paintable/dp/B07QK61SZG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=removable+wallpaper+paintable&qid=1572021899&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A2400711011&rnid=2400708011&s=hi&sr=1-1) that you can paint as well to match the wall while protecting it at the same time.  

I think the vinyl wallpaper is a cool idea but in my experience the clear acrylic on the ceiling may be overkill. I had a 75 and sump 3” off the wall in my condo for 10 years and when I sold the condo all the only drywall damage I had was a bit of “puffiness” in the sump area. Sanded, quick patch, painted the wall, good as new after 10 years. I feel like you would need significant splatter to ruin drywall.

That vinyl wallpaper would look nice and clean super easy; that’s a winner.

The only place I've had damage is directly behind the sump where my skimmer was.  After 8 years the latex paint was bubbling off the drywall in a 1 square foot patch.  I scraped off the old paint, lightly sanded, and repainted.  The drywall underneath was fine.

That was my exact experience as I responded to Tricia before I read yours. Identical experience over a decade span.

We had a tank on a wall for 11 years with enough room behind it for an AquaC Remora; no damage to the wall at all. I would wipe it down back there occasionally (couple times a year). 

An apartment I moved out of about 9 years ago, had some damage to the drywall behind the tank, which I attribute to the cheap flat paint used there. Still, I was able to fix it myself well enough that I heard nothing about it after I moved. Salt eats right through 35 layers of cheap flat paint on drywall. Since that apartment, I have always put something behind the tank to protect the wall.

One of my reefer buddies clarified the paint decision for me saying - “Your wife is letting you buy a big ass tank to upgrade? You need to paint the walls whatever the **** color she wants before she changes her mind!”