Clean up crew

Joshifer

Need to get Some in there. Hair algaes forming and theirs areas I can’t get to myself with glass cleaners and brushes. 

tanks been running a month now cycled I Ghost feed the bact every 3 days.  Specs are all good. But what would eat hair algae and diatoms? I know it’s the beginning ugly phase but I need a little help from some critters. Something reef safe and hardy and I don’t need many. Just not those snails that can’t flip themselves over I won’t always be there to save them from the hermits. I love hermits. 

tank gets natural sunlight for like an hour or two every morning so I guess that’s what’s growing the hair. Need to get a curtain. 

Edited by Joshifer

ceriths are neat.  They can flip over and go back down into the sand during the day.  I've always liked astrea snails, but they can't flip over, like you say.  The hermits don't like the shell shape, so they always left them alone in my tank.  Nerites initially hang out at the water line, but eventually go everywhere.  All of them work ok.  You'll always get some agressive hermits going after a snail or two, but you can always add more snails.  No biggie.

3 minutes ago, AlanM said:

ceriths are neat.  They can flip over and go back down into the sand during the day.  I've always liked astrea snails, but they can't flip over, like you say.  The hermits don't like the shell shape, so they always left them alone in my tank.  Nerites initially hang out at the water line, but eventually go everywhere.  All of them work ok.  You'll always get some agressive hermits going after a snail or two, but you can always add more snails.  No biggie.

Ok so astrea is the one I don’t want lol. 
I’ll get a big fat hermit maybe a scarlet. and a few nerites.. Tank isn’t big so I can’t over load it with critters they’ll starve lol. Thanks also do you think 5-10 nitrates are okay for a skunk cleaner shrimp? 

• 2 weeks later...

I’d look into some trochus snails.  In my experience, they are just as good as asterea but have the added benefit of reproducing in captivity.

Ok I never had this problem before idk. I’m not using tap water. I turned off the blues to show how green this thing is and I don’t wanna take it out and scrub it because it’s “Alive” now it’s made of crushed coral I don’t wanna kill my BB.

I need to go get those snails just my stores are closed when I’m free. And I refuse to buy from petco their tanks are full of that red slime.

0badcdc86b4e5964be5334ca9ca34519.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's fine. Over time you will get coralline and once it has coral it won't grow algae. It won't ever not grow algae.

Edit: sorry my phone posted too soon this morning.  Meant to say that it won't ever not grow algae if something else isn't already growing there. 

In my tanks every surface that didn't have coral but did have light had algae of some sort, whether coralline or green algae.

Keep in mind your ca levels need to be stable for complete coralline growth. The algae concern should be addressed by RODI water quality, bio load, and water changes.

I got two trochus and two cerinth. The trochus are really going to town on the algae the cerinth aren’t coming out of their shells guess their adjusting. Thanks for the tips guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk