Water results

Joshifer

Okay I got my kit today. PH 8.0 Ammonia 0 nitrite 0. Nitrates really freakin high it’s 80PP water is distilled cover says it’s gone thru RODI process. Used instant ocean salt mix. 

i used cured live rock with all kinds of critters in it live sand and bio spira and dosed a little too much pure ammonia but it ate it over night. 

I think im cycled?  

Its a 5 gallon. Probably 3 from the rocks. How many gallons you guys think I should pull out to lower that nitrate. Theirs no livestock besides the hermits that cameout of the rock. 

30 minutes ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

How long has it been set up? I wouldn't add anything until your numbers are perfect.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Uhhh August 30th I think?. I’m not gonna add any animals yet I just wanna get these nitrates down, I pulled out a gallon because that’s all I had already made and stored. 

Edited by Joshifer

Nitrates are the last and slowest to decline because it's a different class of bacteria that has to process it. It can take a few weeks for you to achieve a full and complete nitrate cycle.

If you want to manage nitrates by water change, it's a simple percentage thing: Replace 50% of your water for a 50% reduction in nitrates. Replace 25% and you'll see a 25% reduction in nitrates. This assumes that your change water is nitrate free.

2 hours ago, Origami said:

Nitrates are the last and slowest to decline because it's a different class of bacteria that has to process it. It can take a few weeks for you to achieve a full and complete nitrate cycle.

If you want to manage nitrates by water change, it's a simple percentage thing: Replace 50% of your water for a 50% reduction in nitrates. Replace 25% and you'll see a 25% reduction in nitrates. This assumes that your change water is nitrate free.

Hey tom. Thanks. I have no problems with water changes being it’s such a small tank. But will i stall the cycle or cause mini cycles by doing many or large WC? I’ve never had nitrates this high. I Just don’t want it stacking up on me to where I’m going crazy trying to control it 

You won't really harm thing terribly if you change out some water. However, you need some level of nitrates in the water to encourage your anaerobic bacteria to grow. If you don't have other, higher life forms in the tank, you can try turning the temperature up some (say, to 85) to speed bacteria growth.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Oh. I didn’t know that worked on salt water I used to do that with fresh water. Turn it up to 90 and a lot of air stones lol. Will do. Thanks again. 

I managed to drop them to 20 today I’m gonna leave it alone I’m scared lol 

Watch this video from BRS on the Nitrogen Cycle. 

Then follow the instructions that require waiting a few extra weeks for your cycle to complete. 

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Watch this video from BRS on the Nitrogen Cycle. 

Then follow the instructions that require waiting a few extra weeks for your cycle to complete. 

Thanks. I actually used everything he showed lol. I got the nitrates down to 20 this morning. Then dosed 1PPM liquid ammonia. I just checked everything ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 nitrates I can’t make out between the 20 and 40 mark. But the bacteria is definitely doing it’s job in about idk 16 hours or so. Everything seems healthy. One of the hitch hiker hermits actually molted today. I thought it died then I seen all were accounted for.  And I have lots of pods. Big ones actually.  I have a Chinese LED coming in tomorrow if it’s strong enough I wanna try a softie. Xenia or GSP those things are bullet proof. 

Edited by Joshifer

Did you seed your tank with bacteria or is the only bacteria from the live rock?  Also how big is the rock(s) in relation to the tank? The only reason I ask is because the rock(s) your using may be large enough to sustain your system.  Since you have nitrates and no ammonia nor nitrite, that would point to a cycled system.  Also, are you only dosing ammonia or are you also ghost feeding?

Edited by DFR
Incomplete

On 9/7/2019 at 11:37 AM, DFR said:

Did you seed your tank with bacteria or is the only bacteria from the live rock?  Also how big is the rock(s) in relation to the tank? The only reason I ask is because the rock(s) your using may be large enough to sustain your system.  Since you have nitrates and no ammonia nor nitrite, that would point to a cycled system.  Also, are you only dosing ammonia or are you also ghost feeding?

I used bio spira the rocks about idk 8 lbs ish. I did pure ammonia once to see if it eats it. It ate it. And then hermits came out and I was feeding them pellets