Tank zapped me - cant find source

dangros

While working on the tank, I felt a slight sting in my finger which I took as an electric charge.  So I took a multimeter, stuck the red probe in the water and the black probe in the ground/3rd hole of the outlet.  Sure enough, I got 30V on the multimeter!!  I systematically turned off each electrical item in the tank but the multimeter never dropped to 0.  Removing some pumps seems to drop or even increase the current but I'm assuming that they are acting as poor grounding probes when they are off which may explain why I see current dropping when I restore them...

In any case, I'm very confused and worried that I may have a dangerous situation.  I have a grounding probe which helps but obviously isn't the correction I'm looking for.  

Thanks MODreefer.  This video explains why I couldnt find it.  (he has an ad in the middle of the vid, you can skip by fast forwarding)

1 minute ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

Do you have an electric eel?! I kid.

Why not try the reverse. Unplug everything to ensure the drop off to 0, then plug items in and note anything that raises it.

-A-a-ron

:) Funny you are.  

That doesnt really help b/c each item adds some AC voltage so it's difficult to locate the actual leaking device.  The video shows what I'm seeing  

There have been many times that I have momentarily mistaken a sudden zap or tingle as electricity and then discovered a paper cut, cuticle tear, or other miniscule flesh wound that reacts adversely to submersion in saltwater. I have had real electrical leaks and the feeling is identical. Now when I get that feeling, I examine my hand before I go checking all the electrical devices.

(edited)

So I found out that most of the electrical readings are due to induction. The problem is, I have no cuts and I did feel it that one time.  placing my fingers in salt water does not create that zap feeling. It only happened once and it was in the basement. I’m starting to think there is no leak and it was something else but I can say for sure that it was NOT a cut and it happened when salt water ran out of my DoS hose. 
I will continue to monitor.  At least my probe is now bringing the induction current readings to 0. 

Edited by dangros

• 2 months later...

Maybe you have a nerve problem, carpal tunnel or something that would cause a tingling feeling when hand/wrist is used in certain positions (another thing that happens to me).

29 minutes ago, treesprite said:

Maybe you have a nerve problem, carpal tunnel or something that would cause a tingling feeling when hand/wrist is used in certain positions (another thing that happens to me).

No I don’t. The only nerve problem I have is keeping my nerves when stupid stuff like this happens. It’s probably my return pump.  It went bad and am replacing tonight, actually. 

Good luck with the new pump. I hope that solves the problem.

I have been getting shocked in my tank too, not everytime but enough that it is concerning. I just noticed my hydor koralia pump had seized up and when I went to purchase a new one read reviews about other people getting shocked by these pumps after a few years of using them. I am now looking into purchasing either the

(2)Jbj oceanstream circulation pump 1600 gph

Or

(2) Tunze 6055 controllable pump.

I have a 75 gallon tank

Let me know which you recommend.

Thank you
Brian

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

30 volts is induced voltage and not anything leaking.  If something was leaking you would get 110 volts and you would be thrown across the room.

30 volts is normal.

Any electrical appliance near the tank will induce voltage.  Those people with the purple Mohawks you see spent a lot of time walking under power lines and it fried their brains.

(Master electrician 50 years) 

I've gotten a tingle from failed Jebao powerheads before.  It's not a lot of voltage, so it didn't launch me, but I could feel it for sure.