New to the hobby

Guest hokieman

Guest hokieman

Hello folks

Ive done some research on reef keeping but im still a little fuzzy on water filtration i.e. Skimmers, powerheads.

Im also wondering where anyone got their live rock because wow this stuff is expensive!

I have a 30 gallon tank btw. Thanks

Most people are using mostly natural filltration = water movement over live rock and/or sand beds...

Also refugium as a natural filtration system.

Skimmers are mechanical filtration, but are used by most as well...

I'm not really sure what your questions are hence the slight overview...

Ask your questions...

As for live rock I got all mine from other reefers breaking down their tank(s).... you have to be dillagent (but watch the for sale... in fact I think someone is breaking down a 55 and I was at another tank last night (40ish) being broken down...

That's the best way.

Dave

I just like your name....

Where are you locted? Someone in the area will probably let you come over for a look and talk about equipment etc..

I would recommend getting a few good books to read. One that I really like and still look at from time to time is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189008702...5507844?ie=UTF8

Mr. Fenner discusses quite a few different methods for starting and maintaining successful reef tanks, giving pro and cons for all. I have a copy if you would like to borrow it, but I'm located in Fredericksburg.

Garrett.

BTW, Blacksburg truly was the best 7ish years of my life.

Guest hokieman

thanks for all the advice! I will definitely look into people breaking down tanks. btw im only 15 but vt is definitely at the top of my list :).

Guest hokieman

im also wondering what kind of lighting would be best for a 30 gal. and where to get. thanks.

Best light is dependant on what you want to keep in the tank (i.e. fish only, corals (and if so what types/kinds)).

Depending on what light you choose there will be a variety of places to get it.

Budget (how much you want to spend) may figure into this as well.

Dave

Guest hokieman

I am actually located about an hour out of DC, Severna Park, MD

I definitely want to keep corals and fish, maybe a pair of clowns and some damsels, and ill have to say that im on the low-end budget.

Guest hokieman

I did a little research and im deciding between pc and vho. Or if its possible could i just wire a bunch of standard flourescents? Because im building my own hood anyway and it would be cost efficient i'd say. I really just want some clowns, an anenome, and some soft corals. What lighting would support this best?

I did a little research and im deciding between pc and vho. Or if its possible could i just wire a bunch of standard flourescents? Because im building my own hood anyway and it would be cost efficient i'd say. I really just want some clowns, an anenome, and some soft corals. What lighting would support this best?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...2&N=2004+113175

my guess for the budget?

Bryan

Those nova extremes are ok, but for t5 getting individual reflectors will make a huge difference, you can get diy kits 2 bulbs each... 4 total for $140... you have to add some sweat, but it's probably better in the long run.

Dave

I've got a 30 gallon, so I'll add my 2 cents. As far as LR goes, yes it is expensive. No way around that. You can get some good deals online, but then you get slammed with the shipping cost. Check into the supply over at Roozens, which is in Ft. Washington - http://www.roozens.com/ That would be the closest to you, or Dr. Macs http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Default.aspx You're going to need around 40-50 pounds of rock, so be prepared for the price. A different option would be to use 1/2 base rock and half LR. That would cut your cost down considerably, but it will also take a while for the base rock to become populated with the biological bacteria needed to support the bioload in the tank.

Speaking of bioload, an anemone is not a wise choice for a beginner. They really need a well established tank (a year plus) and strong lighting. BTA's seem to do okay under PC's - not sure about VHO. Your coral selection will depend upon what lighting you decide to go with. Metal Halides and T 5's will allow you to keep a much wider variety of coral that PC's. Plain flourescent lighting won't be sufficient to keep corals.

i have 30 lbs from roozens...nice to cherry pick the rock.....also have 2 select pieces from BRK...just cuz it looked so good... :) .....that said i only have a 20 gallon tank.....i say @ 150$ spent on rock....which is almost the same as ordering from Doc fosters and smith. there will be more curing time from mail order places, i feel ,due to the freshness of rock.

Bryan

Guest hokieman

Two great sites sugar!! Those coral frags at Pacific are amazing. Thank you so much for the advice.

Guest hokieman

I went to my LFS and the guy recommended a penguin 400 biowheel filter for my saltwater 30 gal. I asked him about a skimmer, but he said i wouldn't need one. Can you even keep a saltwater tank without a skimmer?

(edited)

im also wondering what kind of lighting would be best for a 30 gal. and where to get. thanks.

I have metal halides and love them. They really brighten up the tank. Right now Weap0n_X is breaking down his 29 gallon tank and is selling his metal halides for $135. Here's the link if your intrested...Medal Halides

By the way "Welcome to Wamas."

-ASaleem91 :rollface:

Edited by ASaleem91

I went to my LFS and the guy recommended a penguin 400 biowheel filter for my saltwater 30 gal. I asked him about a skimmer, but he said i wouldn't need one. Can you even keep a saltwater tank without a skimmer?

youre lfs guy is :smokin: .........you need a skimmer......as far as power filter.....i would say no too biowheel.......my setup on my 20 gallon reef tank consists of a red sea hang on skimmer,,and a skilter power filter ...with the skimmer part takin out....the power filter is my mechanical and chemical filtration portion.

Bryan

Yes, you can maintain a SW tank without a skimmer. I kept one for many years with only an undergravel filter. That was back in the late 70's though and the hobby has advanced greatly since then. Some poeple still swear by the older technology though and consider the newer technologies to be a fad that will soon pass.

Skimmer and LR is the way to go. Add in a sump and a refugium if you have space and resources.

Bio wheel filters (as well as other generic mechanical filters) are fine when nitrates are not a concern. The give plenty are area for aerobic bacteria to colonize and florish, breaking amonia etc down quickly. Hence the high nitrates, but no way to get rid of. Live rock works in the same way, but when things are done SLOWLY (adding livestock etc..), the anerobic side (the inards!) breaks down the nitrate to almost nil levels. This is also the way a deep sand bed works. A skimmer gets much of this gunk out of the water before it has a chance to break down and rely on the rock to take care of it all. Skimmerless is possible, but requires much more attention to detail, avoiding over feeding, etc... Refugiums with algae get rid of nitrates etc.. before entering the display tank, and cuts down on unwanted algae.

Most reef inverts, and various other reef animals have a hard time with the high nitrates, and therefore the biowheel method is not popular with the reef enviroment.

HTH, and I am not lying :)

Guest hokieman

so I can have a skimmer without a normal hang-on filter?

90% of us have it that way. Just use the liverock, and add bioload slowly over months, not days. Most only use a power filter/canister to occasionally run carbon for a few days to a week per month to remove possible toxins and clear/finish the water. They don't often use the mechanical media inside. You hear alot about bioballs as well, but they are also nitrate factories, and usually only used in fish only setups.

hokie,

there are quite a few nice hang on skimmer's available to the trade...alot of the members have the more expensive sump skimmers....but if you dont have the sump...give the hang-on skimmers a look.

Bryan