New to the hobby

Guest hokieman

Another option for keeping nitrates in check is tridacnid clams (they do require calcium suplemenatation). Granted you need a MH lighting setup but in a tank your size a clam would be a wonderful additon. But, you need to have the tank established for at least 6 months or more before you can add one.

I would stay away from cannister filters or HOB filters because they realy aren't necessary with good skimming and proper biological filtration. They end up being nitrate factories in a SW aquarium. If you manage your bio load (i.e. don't overload the system), you can manage water quality with water changes and the bio filtration from LR, sandbed and a skimmer. If you don't want a sandbed you can go bare bottom with more frequent water changes and have a successful tank.

Just my opinons on your setup.

BB

Granted you need a MH lighting setup

Man I feel like the T5 police, but that statement is wrong....

I get more PAR on T5 setup than many MH setups... I have no problems keeping clams... In fact in my 180 I have a crocea (electric blue) growing very well near the bottom of my tank....

Dave

Another option for keeping nitrates in check is tridacnid clams (they do require calcium suplemenatation). Granted you need a MH lighting setup but in a tank your size a clam would be a wonderful additon. But, you need to have the tank established for at least 6 months or more before you can add one.

I would stay away from cannister filters or HOB filters because they realy aren't necessary with good skimming and proper biological filtration. They end up being nitrate factories in a SW aquarium. If you manage your bio load (i.e. don't overload the system), you can manage water quality with water changes and the bio filtration from LR, sandbed and a skimmer. If you don't want a sandbed you can go bare bottom with more frequent water changes and have a successful tank.

Just my opinons on your setup.

BB

BB,

for those of us who dont have sumps,hob filters serve us to remove particulate matter and also serve as a place to install a carbon bag like chemi-pure or the like.

mine are there for the above mentioned purposes...i cant remember if hokie has a sump or not???

Bryan