hybrid fish question

treesprite

I saw a fish that I think is an option for my tank, but it is a hybrid, and I'm not sure how I feel about supporting the practice of intentionally hybridizing species. I would like to hear other people's opinions about hybridizing fish and keeping hybrid fish. It's not like I'm gonna set a fish into the ocean, but supporting the practice might lead to someone else doing it. I don't know. What do other people think?

what kind of fish? Hybrids do occur naturally, it could have been a wild caught hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is an ORA hybrid, a cross between a fridmani and a sankeyi pseudochromis, which has been called an"indigo dottyback". Lighter in color and a bit more blue than an orchid (fridmani), but with a faint stripe as the result of mixing with the sankeyi.

ORA would be captive bred, no? Ethically, even if a hybrid, that seems exponentially better than what is usually done to to get our fish (taken from the wild, shipped across the world in tiny bags, high mortality rates, etc., and I'm very guilty of keeping fish caught this way).

Interesting question, Forrest. If it were a captive bred variant of a naturally occuring hybrid, would that help shape your decision? I have no idea of if this hybridization would occur in the wild, however I did find these computer generated distribution maps over at fishbase.org. Keep in mind that the maps have not been reviewed, but that they do indicate that there is a potential overlap in their territory. This might lead to a few naturally occuring (but rare) hybrids I guess.

Pseudochromis sankeyi at fishbase.org

Pseudochromis fridmani at fishbase.org

(edited)

According to the stuff I read, this hybrid has never been found in the wild.

One of the meeting speakers commented about hybridization of fish (I can't remember the name... I think it was the guy who was talking about clownfish). I had never given thought to it before that, and now it is in my head.

I guess I am generally disturbed about the impact the hobby has on the world. I read something the other day about someone dumping Xenia and clove polyps in an area where they don't belong, so now those things are growing wild as an invasive species. How stupid and irresponsible could a person be? Those are two of the fastest growing pest corals there are, and are hard enough just to irradicate in an aquarium, let alone the ocean. So of course, now I am questioning everything I do, because I don't want someone somewhere in the future asking about how stupid and irresponsible I had to be to do whatever it is that I might do wrong. If I buy a hybridized fish, is it going to contribute to the eventual destruction of the ecosystem?

Edit to say that I am now waiting to see if Rob comes along with one of his typical Rob responses. LOL.

Edited by treesprite

It is an ORA hybrid, a cross between a fridmani and a sankeyi pseudochromis, which has been called an"indigo dottyback". Lighter in color and a bit more blue than an orchid (fridmani), but with a faint stripe as the result of mixing with the sankeyi.

better get out of the hobby if youre starting to question your fish purchases. Arent all of your clownfish hybrids now?

Its not a clownfish, see above

Yeah, not a clownfish. I actually am not even planning to get clownfish for this tank.