Removing 1/2 my live rock

YHSublime

When I setup my tank (22 gallon with about another 20 gallons of water in the sump) I did a couple of things to ensure success. 

1.) I took sand from several members tanks who I trusted and used those containers to seed.

2.) I took a bunch of live rock, equal to that of my display, and put that in the sump as well. 

3.) I let it ride for about 2 months before adding livestock.

Since then, I have removed 20lbs of sand and gone bare bottom, and I would like to remove the rock from my sump.

I noticed my sump is picking up a lot of detritus, and is also a jail to a coral banded shrimp and a blue damsel. With the recent removal of sand, I'm wondering if removal of the rock will upset things? Although I'm not a huge advocate of fuges, I think I'll have to run something to out compete in my display. 

Also, advice on cleaning sumps? I've got a lot to get off the sump floor, and I'd rather not take it out.

26906702428_7e99d9a2c3_h.jpg

Watch for Ammonia spike with the removal of beneficial bacteria. 

Put one of these: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-plate.html

in the sump and let it seed for a couple weeks. Then pull out the rock, and leave the block. Then when you need to clean the sump, just pull out the block and put in a bucket of tank water. 

Just my thought and experience, your not going to have enough volume in your sump for Macro Algae to out compete effectively. You would be better off running GFO if algae is that big of an issue. Im not saying dont add a fuge for pods and other such benefits, but its not going to pull enough nutrients out of the water to clean up the algae alone. 

Edited by Ben A

Put one of these: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-plate.html

in the sump and let it seed for a couple weeks. Then pull out the rock, and leave the block. Then when you need to clean the sump, just pull out the block and put in a bucket of tank water. 

Just my thought and experience, your not going to have enough volume in your sump for Macro Algae to out compete effectively. You would be better off running GFO if algae is that big of an issue. Im not saying dont add a fuge for pods and other such benefits, but its not going to pull enough nutrients out of the water to clean up the algae alone. 

what he said works too

Removing a lot of rock will remove half of your anaerobic bacteria population responsible for nitrate reduction. It's not clear to me (from your pictures) that you'll have enough remaining (but that remains to be seen). If you do remove it, do so in stages and monitor your nitrate levels as you're doing so. If they stabilize and head back towards zero (or to an acceptable level) with no obvious issues (e.g. an intolerable algae bloom), then you're probably safe. 

The highly porous nature of Marinepure is more likely going to give you additional aerobic biological filtration if placed in an area with relatively high flow. If placed in an area with little flow, you may see some anaerobic bacteria taking hold of its internal surfaces.

As for cleaning your sump: If it's elevated, then you can start a siphon and target removal of debris. If not, you may be able to stop the flow remove some water and wet-vac out the bottom from time to time using a wet vac. In the past, Jan used to use an inexpensive ($22) Bucket head that fit a 5 gallon bucket like a lid to clean her sump. Just remove most of the water and vacuum up the rest along with any sediment that's settled. With some 1-1/4" attachments, you can target tight corners with even greater efficiency.

I guess I wasn't very clear in my first post. Algae isn't an issue currently, but I feel like my sump is turning into a giant detritus trap with all the rock down there. I thought about a block. The light I have under there right now isn't much good for any kind of macro. What I currently have is working, and I'm always a fan of the KISS method!

Removing a lot of rock will remove half of your anaerobic bacteria population responsible for nitrate reduction. It's not clear to me (from your pictures) that you'll have enough remaining (but that remains to be seen). If you do remove it, do so in stages and monitor your nitrate levels as you're doing so. If they stabilize and head back towards zero (or to an acceptable level) with no obvious issues (e.g. an intolerable algae bloom), then you're probably safe. 

The highly porous nature of Marinepure is more likely going to give you additional aerobic biological filtration if placed in an area with relatively high flow. If placed in an area with little flow, you may see some anaerobic bacteria taking hold of its internal surfaces.

As for cleaning your sump: If it's elevated, then you can start a siphon and target removal of debris. If not, you may be able to stop the flow remove some water and wet-vac out the bottom from time to time using a wet vac. In the past, Jan used to use an inexpensive ($22) Bucket head that fit a 5 gallon bucket like a lid to clean her sump. Just remove most of the water and vacuum up the rest along with any sediment that's settled. With some 1-1/4" attachments, you can target tight corners with even greater efficiency.

That makes sense. Half the rock, half the bacteria. 

I think removing in stages is probably the best bet. I've gone through several variations of rockwork up top, and as chunks add or subtract, either pull from the sump, or drop them into. I'd like to think that there is enough rock up top, but who knows. I might put my filter socks back on again, not a big fan of those either, too much work. 

I forgot about those bucket vacs, that's going to be the best bet I think. I'll have to make up some water, and prepare to remove the creatures from below as well. 

You could get one of these to clean out your sump.

http://a.co/7pqPfVC

Python.  Uses venturi effect from your sink faucet to suck water out of the sump and down the drain.  

They work pretty well.  On my old tank I had one hooked up to my manifold and instead of putting water in to the sink I put it into a filter sock. 

The disadvantage is that they clog if you suck up snails, macroalgae, or little rocks.  It's really just for detritus.

You could get one of these to clean out your sump.

http://a.co/7pqPfVC

Python. Uses venturi effect from your sink faucet to suck water out of the sump and down the drain.

They work pretty well. On my old tank I had one hooked up to my manifold and instead of putting water in to the sink I put it into a filter sock.

The disadvantage is that they clog if you suck up snails, macroalgae, or little rocks. It's really just for detritus.

I used this on my old freshwater. I will probably just use the bucket vac, seems like a helpful all purpose tool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could you a wet/dry shop vac for your sump. That's what I use every once in a while. You can get small ones for around $35. They will usually clean up 5 gallons of water.

You could you a wet/dry shop vac for your sump. That's what I use every once in a while. You can get small ones for around $35. They will usually clean up 5 gallons of water.

Yep, check out "Bucket Head Wet Dry Vac".  Cheap and fits right on a 5 gal bucket which all reefers have tons of.

Why are you worried about the detritus to begin with? Outside aesthetics, it isn't hurting anything. Like previous comments in regard to making changes when things are going well, why on earth are you messing with it? 

Why are you worried about the detritus to begin with? Outside aesthetics, it isn't hurting anything. Like previous comments in regard to making changes when things are going well, why on earth are you messing with it? 

It's quite a bit. I'm sure it's not doing my nitrate any favors, I wouldn't say it's soley aesthetics. 

I was thinking about it when I was out of power for 2 days, I have creatures down there (that somehow survived) that are contributing to my bio load, and I'd like to do some sort of frag area in the middle. I don't believe my center chamber jammed full of LR is doing me any good, and I'd like to clean it up to serve a grander purpose. 

I have 22 months worth down there and I feed the bejesus out of my tank. The likelihood of a measurable difference in nitrates after removal is slim to none. Kick it up and allow it to come back up to the display sometimes, there is food in there for them corals/filter feeders too. While taking the fish out of there may reduce the bio-load, the rock is more than making up for for anything that is living down there.