Chiller Questions

Newbie012000

Hello everyone. Do you residents of the DMV area find it necessary to run a chiller while running LEDs?

My tank is not set up yet and will be in the basement of my house. It is a 265 gallon tank and I plan to run one pump and a skimmer in the sump. I plan to have a manifold, so hooking one up will not be a problem, with the exception that I am trying to use equipment that will be energy efficient and these thing suck up a lot of power

Please share your experiences. Thanks

Ever since I switched to LED's there hasn't even been enough heat to even need a fan on the tank.  In the past I had MH's and had the AC3 set up to turn the fan on if the tank got to a certain temperature and turn lights off if it got hotter. 

I ran one on my 180g tank last summer. I had design the system to have one and i had one laying around so I connected it.  My tank is in my basement of a split level house. I ran a combination of LEDs and T5s. Tank temp is set to 77-78 degrees.  The tank go to 80 degrees a few times and the chiller came on. It was not needed, but since I had the chiller, i used it.

I say, it you have a chiller, plan to for it just in case.

Thx. Since I acquired a pretty good one when I picked up a bunch of used equipmet I will have it on standby, but hope to never use it

Attached is a pic of the unit. Does anyone know how many watts this will consume? It states the amps used.

post-2636546-0-41515300-1518705048_thumb.png

Same this I did. i got a 1/2 HP JBJ for $300. I could not pass up on the deal and since i had the space for it and was planning an upgrade, I decided to have it, just in case.

good luck.

Milton

No chiller on my system in the basement. However, my LED's are in the open air (in a fish room) so no air is trapped beneath a canopy. 

I will have a canopy but the rear will have a lot of ventilation. Thx for the response, I’m feeling good about this. I will have the chiller hooked up just in case, but it doesn’t seem like I will have to worry about it running too often