Purple sponge taking over

ReefAddict

I had a black sponge start to take off once. I used hydrogen peroxide in small doses to kill it off. If it stayed on the underside of my rocks I would have left it but it was spreading everywhere pretty quick.

I get the slippery black sponge. I have scrubbed it off rocks many times and it comes back. It acts like "glue" when it encrusts from one piece to another, makes bits of rubble into a big clump that is very hard to pull apart.

I also have had bright pink sponge. It is a very slow grower, and is pretty, so it doesn't bother me.

Another sponge I get is a kind of chartreuse green color. It grows in clumps, and can be picked off the rock in one piece.

Sometimes I see tiny, round, white sponge balls, that look a bit like spider egg sacs.

But I have never seem a purple sponge in my tanks. Do you have any pictures?

Lol the purple sponge sounds like a blessing, not a curse! Where r u, I'd happily take some off ur hands! The others too! The black slime stuff that clumps substrate sounds annoying, but all the rest you guys mention sound like beautiful additions!!!

It’s filtering and up taking nutrients. So there is a good chance it is a blessing. I would rather harvest and look at it than hair algae. Some pics sure would be neat!

Edited by gmerek2

Yeah! I was actually joking around when I said I'll take it, but I seriously would! I dunno where you are, but I would be thrilled to have some of that-in fact, any if the sponges that are bothering you guys:)

Branching purple sponge...Sounds like a good problem.  I would like to have some also...waiting for a pic.

• 3 weeks later...