Are my expectations too high for online retailers?

TonyInVa

So I ordered fish from an online retailer. They had a great sale on a Tang that I wanted. Plus if you ordered $149 in live stock you got free shipping, and if you ordered over $200 you could pick a free coral. The one Tang I really wanted was $90,Order arrives, no Tang no free coral. I call their customer service and am told with attitude, because we didn't have the Tang I no longer qualified for the free coral. They also told me they should have charged me for shipping. I have done business with many online vendors and have always been given a call when a livestock item was not in stock. Or it was sent out when it was available at no extra shipping. Have I been spoiled and now think this is how it should be? Regardless I will no longer do  business with this establishment

They should have notified you before any shipping, that part of the order couldn't be filled,so you could chose whether to get the rest of the order. Some of these vendors do know that livestock needs to be put in the tank in a certain order, so the option to cancel all of it should have been given.

So I ordered fish from an online retailer. They had a great sale on a Tang that I wanted. Plus if you ordered $149 in live stock you got free shipping, and if you ordered over $200 you could pick a free coral. The one Tang I really wanted was $90,Order arrives, no Tang no free coral. I call their customer service and am told with attitude, because we didn't have the Tang I no longer qualified for the free coral. They also told me they should have charged me for shipping. I have done business with many online vendors and have always been given a call when a livestock item was not in stock. Or it was sent out when it was available at no extra shipping. Have I been spoiled and now think this is how it should be? Regardless I will no longer do  business with this establishment

I agree with you. Further, bringing up the fact that they could/should have charged you for shipping is simply rude - as if they were doing you a favor. Maybe it's not the way they regularly do business. I'd at least send a complaint letter to them (somebody charged with customer service responsibility - not necessarily the sales department) to let them know how you were treated and how you feel. It'll give them the opportunity to clean up their act - if not for you, then for others. We have a choice of where we spend our money. From time to time, maybe they need to be reminded of that. Unless you feel that you've gone as high up as you can go, or that it's just not worth your time at this point, I'd reach out just to give them an opportunity to improve and maybe to make amends. 

I agree with you. Further, bringing up the fact that they could/should have charged you for shipping is simply rude - as if they were doing you a favor. Maybe it's not the way they regularly do business. I'd at least send a complaint letter to them (somebody charged with customer service responsibility - not necessarily the sales department) to let them know how you were treated and how you feel. It'll give them the opportunity to clean up their act - if not for you, then for others. We have a choice of where we spend our money. From time to time, maybe they need to be reminded of that. Unless you feel that you've gone as high up as you can go, or that it's just not worth your time at this point, I'd reach out just to give them an opportunity to improve and maybe to make amends. 

The sad thing is, I was told I was speaking to the owner of the company. I did sent an email explaining the treatment. I also stated that I would share my experience with everyone I knew who own a tank and shop online. I was also going to do a review on Facebook, but this company does not have that feature. I later received an email back. It stated that the fish was in stock and should have been included. I felt this was a lie. Why would my shipping invoice state other wise  and why then did you not include the free frag? As stated, I have a choice were to spend my money and it won't be with them. It will be with the shops that have shown great service. 

I try to stay away from small upstart on line businesses that can’t back their products. I only go with well known,large reputable on line companies.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to let us know who the retailer was, or did they threaten you with legal action if you used their name in posting a negative experience.

I try to stay away from small upstart on line businesses that can’t back their products. I only go with well known,large reputable on line companies.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to let us know who the retailer was, or did they threaten you with legal action if you used their name in posting a negative experience.

Blue Zoo Aquatics, since you ask. I did think they were a big online business.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Blue Zoo Aquatics, since you ask. I did think they were a big online business.

They did not threaten, and did not know that they could or should I say have a leg to stand on.

I've always order from Liveaquaria for their selections and most importantly the 14 day refund policy no matter how difficult the fish is,  about half of my fish don't make it within the 14 day window when i first start out saltwater fishkeeping and i always get my money back no question ever asked. 

I've always order from Liveaquaria for their selections and most importantly the 14 day refund policy no matter how difficult the fish is,  about half of my fish don't make it within the 14 day window when i first start out saltwater fishkeeping and i always get my money back no question ever asked. 

Yes, they are one of the ones I have had good experiences with. In fact, this is the first time I have had a bad experience. Don't get me wrong, there have been problems but have always been fixed.

I bought a tiger crowie from Blue Zoo Aquatics once, but I guess I’ll never shop there again. My future fish purchases are planned through Live Aquaria. I just recently set up a couple of QT tanks for that purpose.

I have never had a problem with BZA customer service. I have gotten credits from them every time something from them has died, which, unfortunately, happened a lot. I have not had any instance of something not being included though, so maybe they are just not as nice in those circumstances.