any good algae feeder?

AlanM

I used a TLF magnetic algae clip for a while, but it rusted badly eventually and I tossed it.  I used an Innovative Marine algae grazer for a while, but the magnet rusted badly, so after a year I tossed it.  

Maybe I should just plan to replace them each year, but has anyone used an algae feeder that works well and doesn't seem to rust?  

Suction cups don't really work for me either.  Maybe something that hangs over the trim would work, I guess.

I made a small feeder for my small tang using plastic gutter guard from homedepot and fish line. You could make it much larger if needed. I hang it in the water, let it float around, and make the tang work for it. :)

kDMwUh9.jpg

Edited by tygger

I used a TLF magnetic algae clip for a while, but it rusted badly eventually and I tossed it.  I used an Innovative Marine algae grazer for a while, but the magnet rusted badly, so after a year I tossed it.  

Maybe I should just plan to replace them each year, but has anyone used an algae feeder that works well and doesn't seem to rust?  

Suction cups don't really work for me either.  Maybe something that hangs over the trim would work, I guess.

Which TLF product were you using?

I've only started using TLF pouch feeders in the last six months. I started with one and now have three. So far, so good.

It looks like they changed the magnet design since I had mine, though, so maybe now it's fully potted in epoxy or something.  Before it was just a sticker that held on the hook and a plastic cover that closed in the magnet.

I use a rubber band to tie the algae to a rock and drop it in. Easy to fish out when they are done and no un eaten rotting pieces. 

I have to replace the rubber band when it falls apart and breaks. 

I bought some of the plastic hangers with clips on them and then glued them to an old mag float.  Works great and if you need to retrieve the magnet, it floats up to the top.  You can also slide it wherever you want it in the tank so I used to use it to feed my conchs, too.  I stripped the scraper portion off of it to make it move more smoothly along the glass.  I still have a couple of these at the house, I think I made them 10 years ago and they are still working today.