Son's First Tank Ideas

Ben A

So my wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy, this December. I talked my wife into an "Under the Sea" theme for the nursery. To show my support of her decision, I have volunteered to set up a nano tank in the nursery.... and for some reason my wife loves the idea. So what I have to work with is a 40 gallon breeder. I am going to buy some acrylic and turn it into an AIO tank. I am looking for ideas on the stocking of this tank. I plan on having T5 lighting and will rely on water changes for nutrient export. Im looking for ideas on the stock list. As much as I would love to do a seahorse tank, I'm not able to feed them 3 times a day, but any other "off the wall" ideas are welcome.

Keep in mind when planning that when kids grow they tend to be mischievous. Might want to think about flying objects and spilled drinks and food.

Congrats!

Mantis tank! Easy to do, just the right size!

First: Congratulations on the big news.

Personally, I'd be hesitant to put a tank in a baby nursery. Not sure why. Maybe it's the safety thing. Cords, electricity, tipping hazard, curious hands (later on), etc. Having raised three kids and now having 2 grandkids - one a toddler, I just look at home as being on lockdown for a few years. :laugh: 

Maybe a mural or something similar would be more long-lasting and sustainable for a few years?

The tank will be fine in the nursery until your son gets out of his crib and into a bed.  If your interested, I have a white IM16 in storage downstairs, PM me if your interested.

Congrats!! The safest thing would be if he could see the tank but not touch. To do that, I'd build it into the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In-wall is a good suggestion. It might be hard to do in a bedroom though, because there needs to be space in the room behind it, which is a bit much for a baby room.

Other than above, I personally would not put a tank in a nursery or little kid's bedroom. The baby isn't going to get anything out of it. There are hazards, not to mention there might be noises associated with the tank that either disturb the sleeping baby, or make it hard to hear baby sounds on a monitor.

Your new baby may not appreciate the tank for a few months, but you and your wife will when you're up several times a night.  If you both find that aquariums help relax you or make you feel good, it's well worth the effort.

I would find an approach that's very low maintenance.  You're going to have a lot less free time and energy to maintain another tank. I would also look for something with some motion.  Maybe a FOWLR, but with photosynthetic Caribbean gorgonians.  A 40gal planted freshwater tank could also be very soothing.

It would be great if the tank's inhabitants could deal with having a dim light on throughout the night so the tank would double as a nightlight.

Does your wife have favorite fish?  That's another great place to start.

Congrats on the new addition. When we had our first, I barely had any free time or energy. What little I did have, I didn't want to spend it on the tank. Not trying to discourage you, but just be sure you're up to the task. :)

Your new baby may not appreciate the tank for a few months, but you and your wife will when you're up several times a night.  If you both find that aquariums help relax you or make you feel good, it's well worth the effort.

I would find an approach that's very low maintenance.  You're going to have a lot less free time and energy to maintain another tank. I would also look for something with some motion.  Maybe a FOWLR, but with photosynthetic Caribbean gorgonians.  A 40gal planted freshwater tank could also be very soothing.

It would be great if the tank's inhabitants could deal with having a dim light on throughout the night so the tank would double as a nightlight.

Does your wife have favorite fish?  That's another great place to start.

Honestly, I'm glad to see some positive feedback. Most (including me) have leaned negative whether we're tempered by caution or something else. A small FOWLR with a few small fish and some busy-body inverts (crabs and maybe a cleaner shrimp) might add a little interest if you or your wife are sitting with the baby in the room for extended periods of time during the first year or so. You may want to try to keep both the bioload low as well as low light to keep algae at bay and to reduce maintenance demands. Whatever you decide, realize that there's a lot of change in the first few years, and a huge difference between an infant's and a 1-year old's mobility, and ability to independently get into difficult and potentially dangerous situations in the blink of an eye. Thus, whatever you plan will likely have to be adaptable as things change over those the first few years.